Speed Stickers - France

sshortcircuit

Having read a posting on another forum and reading info from one of the clubs I purchased speed stickers, albeit the wrong size, for my trip to France. If anybody was in France in June/July and saw MH with speed stickers then that was me. Of the 100,s of MHs, I saw none. Is there a date when these stickers are to be fitted or is it a case of the French could not care less?

Unfortunately I purchased 4" letters on a white background in a red circle when they should have been 6" letters on a white circle, however I will not be changing.

Speed Stickers – Are they required?

Motorhomes and Car/caravans with a train weight exceeding 3.5 tons fall under lower speed limits in France.

The following is an extract from a longer document produced by the Caravan Club.

The French highway code stipulates that 80 and 90 stickers must be displayed by vehicles required to drive at the lower limits, however we have been contacted by various members who live in France advising us that this requirement to attach stickers is being ignored, and the French police are not interested in enforcing it.

We have also received conflicting opinions from the legal department of the ACF and the office of the French Minister of Transport, the ACF say that the stickers need to be displayed by vehicles registered abroad and the French Minister of Transport is staying that they do not.

We have tried without success to get clarification on this point, if you feel that you wish to attach the stickers they can be purchased from www.speedstickers.co.uk telephone: 0800 988 7329 (between 10.00 – 14.00)

The full document can be found on the Club website at

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/5582430/french speed limits.pdf

On a recent visit to France I did not see one motorhome complying with this requirement and only thee car/caravans complying - all LR Discoveries towing twin axles.

We were in France in May to July and being over 3.5t I fitted stickers to both the MH and Trailer.

As has been stated most French vans are under 3.5t but I did see a couple of larger MHs with these stickers and all waggons and busses had them displayed.

I think the 6" size is too big a 4" would have been just as noticable.

John

Hi

We have a numberplate with 'CAUTION LEFT HAND DRIVE' on it for UK use and we bought four inch speed stickers, 80, 100 and 110 which we stuck on the back of the numberplate. The numberplate is attached (surprisingly securely) with six blobs of BluTack. When we're in the ferry queue, the numberplate is reversed and stuck on the (French) offside. When elsewhere in Europe the plate is stuck on the inside of the garage door.

It seems that the legal size is 6 inches, but I can't see the Gendarmerie taking issue with undersized stickers, given that very, very few French vans or tuggers use any stickers at all.

P&L

P&L

We bought them to take with us last time, working on the theory that, if we were pulled up, we'd ask the gendarmerie to show us where to stick them. It might have been an offer they could not refuse.

To be serious, we were on a British coach in Germany, the driver was fined €80 for driving at 100k when he was not displaying a 100 sticker on the back even though he had the paperwork to show it was legal so you will need them in Germany.

Stuart

Archived