French bank account

hymer1942

As far as I can remember there was no charge with our Credit Agricole account in Spain, in Portugal most places only accepted Portugese cards including Lidl and petrol stations, there was always an ATM outside where you could get cash. I will have to have a look at my old Bank statements but I think there is only a charge if in a different currency, i.e. Sterling.

If your CA account is a Britline account, they will respond (in good French time :-)), to a e-mail enquiry.  If the account is not Britline, have a look at the Britline website anyhow, which explains many of the terms that, so far as I know, are basically common to all CA accounts.  If really stuck, try sending them an e-mail anyhow, they'll probably respond if they think you may be considering opening an account - assuming they still run the Britline accounts from Caen.

Brian, I already have a French bank account, but have just not used the card outside France, I was just asking the question to do some planning before I leave for France in 2 weeks, if I dont get the answer I will go into the Bank when I get to my house. Barrie

Yes, I understood that.  You have a Credit Agricole (CA) account?  Britline is a Brit specific CA account operated by Credit Agricole du Normandie from Caen  see here: http://tinyurl.com/2uaw6l5

Since the account is intended primarily for Brits wishing to buy property in France, it has an English language website, and English speaking staff.  We had one a few years back, and they were very helpful.

Since your question is a bit technical, and bank policy on such matters tends to change by the day, I thought a direct query to CA, possibly via Britline in English, might get you the most accurate and up to date answer.  Otherwise, opinions are liable to be a bit speculative and possibly out of date.

Hi all, Brian got a quick reply from Britline as you suggested and they say this.

If you are withdrawing cash from another distributer [ NOT C. A. ] anywhere in the E. U.

then they charge 1 EURO for every 4th transaction in the month.

Barrie

Archived