Shipping a VW Camper to North America

chrisstott

chrisstott - 2010-08-03 11:58 AM

Has anyone any info on shipping a VW Camper to Canada or the States. We are starting to plan a 6 month trip there and wondering if it would be more cost effective to take our own van over than hire one for the duration?

Try looking at "The Silk Route Motorcaravan Network". On the LHS of the homepage click on Pan Am 2006 and scroll down the diary entries to "How it all started" and read on. I can't remember were they shipped the vans to, but it will mention shipping agents, well they usually do, and you maybe able to glean something from that. Best of luck, and do come back with your planning progress.

Yes, please do keep us posted - this sounds like a great adventure!

chrisstott - 2010-08-03 11:58 AM

.......wondering if it would be more cost effective to take our own van over than hire one for the duration?

No personal experience or knowledge, but my guess is it'd be more cost-effective to BUY one over there, and sell at the end!

Thinking the other way round, I've often come across Americans (and Aus/NZs) who've done that for European trips.

Hi, Never been involved myself but guess you need to consider registration in states, and Insurance costs, which might be a nasty shock for a wrong handed vehicle. Also shipping costs might be rather high, import duties stateside, customs requirements, vehicle cleanliness (cant import a dirty vehicle as it might carry some undesireable bugs), and crossing time for vehicle 3 weeks??? . To me it seems a better deal to hire/buy there and find a Buy back arrangement when you have finished with it.. Buying involves registration and insurance problems for non dom so personally I would opt for hireing.

However you do it, enjoy your trip and remember to cover personal insurance and medicalcover for a large amount as no nhs in stateside.

tonyg3nwl

Archived