Webbs Motor Caravans

brayn

Guest Tracker
No experience myself but they've been around a long time and I've never heard a bad report - that's not to say you should trust them with your van without proper safeguards?

Hi brayn

I assume you are looking to place your van with them for them to sell on your behalf, rather than sell it to them.

You have to be careful as to what you are covered for if they go bust or have finaicial difficulties, or if your van gets damaged etc whilst it is with them, as well as what commission they'll take too.

No experience of Webbs, or the other company you mentioned, but there have been other threads on here about a similar thing if you feel like having a search, unfortunately I can't remember the 'key' words that were used so it'll have to be a case of 'trial and error'.

Mel, your advice is wise and sound, as always, but I'm puzzled by

Mel B - 2010-08-03 8:14 PM

No experience of Webbs, or the other company you mentioned,

Unless Bryan has done a quick edit, there's only one company in his OP. Maybe you have mistaken "bona fides" for a bona fide company? :D

T x

Tony Jones - 2010-08-03 9:42 PM

Mel, your advice is wise and sound, as always, but I'm puzzled by

Mel B - 2010-08-03 8:14 PM

No experience of Webbs, or the other company you mentioned,

Unless Bryan has done a quick edit, there's only one company in his OP. Maybe you have mistaken "bona fides" for a bona fide company? :D

T x

Now then Tony, you need to read more threads ... brayn had started another thread prior to this one along the same lines about another company .... "Seek and ye shall find" .... :D

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20479&posts=1

Interesting point raised on another forum by another well known emporium.

If the emporium have your van in to do some work on it then they should (and you must check this) have full insurance to cover it for loss damage or theft once you hand the keys over to them.

What was unusual was that if the firm are just selling the van on your behalf on comission for example then the van remains your risk. But being as you may have handed the keys over your own insurance company is unlikely to cover you. This was stated "up front" by a well respected emporium.

So if this is what you have in mind then get insurance cover confirmed in writing first.

C.

Hi Brayn

we had our current van from them earlier this year (the Warminster Branch)

Found them very helpful , by no means pushy , listened to our needs and took us through their stock of vans (that met our initial requirments) in a comprehensive way and actually steered us away from a van we took a shine too but in reality would not have met our needs (and was actually a lot more expensive than the one we went for).

We were picked up from the train station on collection day and looked after very well. The van was well presented and although we did have a problem , only noted after we got home, they sorted it out between them and a dealer more local to us (we're 180 miles away) without any question.

I cant vouch about them selling your van but they do appear a well run company , have good stock and look after their customers well.

Hi, Brayn and welcome.

Now that the ever- helpful 'old-stagers' on this Forum have dispensed their excellent advice, let me. as a relative newcomer,attempt to answer your question!

Last February,We decided that we would sink some of the kid's inheritance into buying a camper van/motor home, after experiencing the joys of touring in a hired 'van around New Zealand.

But... where to start? We knew that there was a dealer in such things in our home town (warminster) -- but had to get out a map to find it!That dealer was(is) Webbs Motorcaravans,who, I discovered,are a family-run concern who have been in business ( with no 'hiccups' that I am aware of) in this area for over 25 years.

Let me say, straightaway, that I have no connection with the firm or any of its employees and any views expressed here are purely the opinion of myself and my wife, based on our recent experience(s) with the dealership.

From our first visit, up to the present, we can say truthfully that our relationship with Webbs and its staff has been nothing but positive through and through -- they could not have been more helpful -- going the 'extra mile' on more than one occasion -- something which has been noted by other customers that I have spoken to -- as recently as yesterday.

We have had no experience of selling or part exchanging a 'van with them of course -- I presume that you have seen their adverts ((e.g. p.247 of MMM August issue) where they say:"Motor Caravans purchased for cash"but no doubt their friendly and helpful staff would be just as honest and straightforward in their dealings with you as they have been with us regarding purchase and servicing matters.

On a more general note -- Webbs seem to be in expansionist mode -- they acquired the former Lowdhams Leisure site in Reading last year and are currently giving it a huge (and expensive) makeover. They look to try to keep a varied stock of about 100 new and pre-owned 'vans on both sites -- currently less than that -- because sales have been brisk I'm told -- hence the advert perhaps.

Their website is worth a look -- www.webbsmotorcaravans.co.uk. it usually seems to be well-serviced and up-to-date --i.e. the Warminster location that I can vouch for -- we take a 'crawl over' their stock every so often -- just for fun!

One final observation -- a comment elsewhere on these threads that some dealers' forecourts and their showing of their wares are: 'a disgrace' is not the case here -- their presentation is exemplary -- even the oldest and least expensive 'vans show evidence of careful cleaning/preparation -- the staff appear to take great pride in their stock and their knowledge of it. Their pricing -- as far as I am able to judge -- appears fair and bears comparison with the competition -- but again I can't enlighten you about how they would be as far as buying your 'van is concerned.

So. at last -- an informed rave review!

Hope that helps -- I'm afraid that I have no knowledge of the other firm --4 leisure was it?

Best wishes and good luck with your 'van sale,

Colin.

P.S. If you have any further queries please ask -- or you could P.M. me if you like.

C.

Brayn has not confirmed that his concern with Webbs is a "sale or return" deal on his van.  It might help if he can clarify this. 

If your van is on a business premises for the purpose of sale it will not, generally, be insured by your present insurer - but check this carefully. 

You can do as you choose, by agreement with the vendor, with the VED disc - leave it as a freebie for the new owner, or SORN the van and get the tax back. 

You should keep the V5C registration document, though it will probably assist sale if you deposit the service record, warranty records, and all manuals with the vendor.  All such should be listed and attached to the sale agreement, of which both you, and the vendor, should have duplicate copies with original signatures on both copies.  The agreement should, ideally, be signed by the company secretary, not just a salesman.  It should state that it remains in force until full payment is received by you.

The agreement should clearly state the proposed asking price and commission, or sales fee, to be retained by him, or (ideally) the amount to be returned to you.  It should also state the limits on flexibility of price if commission or a fee is involved.

It should state that the vendor will indemnify (evidence of insurance is fine, but it is the actual indemnity you need) you against any loss of, or from, or damage to, the vehicle while it is in their care. 

It should state that they will maintain as necessary, and clean, the vehicle while it is in their care. 

It should state how soon after sale you will be paid, and how that payment will be made (ideally company cheque).

They will confirm to you that a deposit has been taken, and that they are confident in the buyer's ability to pay the balance, and when that payment is due. 

You then complete the sale part of the V5C and take, or post, it to the vendor.  This is the dodgy bit, because the vendor now has the van, the V5C, and all the money.  That is why you need the agreement to remain in force until you receive payment, so that title does not pass to them until you have the money.  With good wording, the whole thing will easily fit on one side of A4 paper.

Hi, Our Stargazer will soon be 2 years old and was purchased through Webbs at Warminster, having done the deal at the Shepton Show. The van was at their showroom, not at the show, so the deal was done without benefit of road test etc. This was before I became aware of the judder issue. It was based on a similar model which was on display at the show, and had the specification we were looking for. We had a tape measure with us and measured various items, seat sizes, locker sizes, storeage, etc, and were satisfied with the trade in arrangement for our caravan.

Handover details were thorough, even getting a nearly full gas bottle included. They had used a small amount to check the functions before delivery

It was about 6 months after I took ownership, that I became aware of judder issues, and spoke to the boss at their summer barbecue saying I was concerned that there appeared to be a judder problem.

The boss stated that there was no such thing and I should learn to drive properly. After a short sharp debate, he told me to refer it to peugeot, as it was not his problem and marched off to speak to another customer. It was obviouslly bad timing as a large quantity of liquid refreshment had been available and dispensed by then, and inappropriate to raise the issue during the social evening.

I did as he "politely suggested" and referred the issue to Peugeot and as has been posted elsewhere on this forum, has been "resolved as far as Peugeot is concerned... there being no further solution available."

With the exception of this "polite suggestion" incident, I have otherwise been happy with the dealings with the firm

tonyg3nwl

Archived