What Size Inverter ?

whisturx

The topic has probably been covered before but some advice would be welcome.

I have just had a 135 Watt Solar panel fitted to my van to charge 2 x 130 amp/hr leisure batteries.

Next I want to fit an inverter close to the batteries with a cable to only one new socket in the cab area.

It will charge the usual phones,cameras,laptop but would be useful if I could run my Remoska and a small vacuum ( both rated at 500 Watt)

So should I be looking at an 800 or 600 Watt inverter ?

I like the look of the Sterling but I have seen a soft start 600 and 1000 Watt from TLC at a cheaper price. Would a 1000 Watt be too much for my batteries and does cheaper mean less reliable , and made in China ?

I hope someone can advise.

Guest Tracker
Personally I would fit the largest I could sensibly justify, and at least an 800w, as you can bet there will sooner or later be other things you might want to run?

Hi, we have a 1000watt inverter with dedicated sockets in three places fitted to our van, running off twin 75amp batteries, it also has a remote on/off switch fitted, saves fumbling around under the seat to switch it on or off. Both items purchased from Maplins. No solar panel as yet, but working on the Memsab for authorisation of funds!!!!

Many thanks for the advice.

I will probably go with the 800 Watt Sterling Inverter which is quite compact with twin sockets(Euro and UK). All my sockets are German as I bought the van from Dusseldorf and had it imported through Bundesvan . I will probably part-ex it back to Germany in time so I am keeping all sockets to match the original.

Not a cheap inverter, but I have been put off by stories of the Chinese makes being unreliable.

And they are all made in China!

Pure sine wave is the safest.

Make sure that you have a clear visible indication that the inverter is running. You don,t want to disconnect your mains appliance then forget to turn off the inverter as its quiescent current will after a few hours take a meaningful number of ampere-hours from the battery.

If you are just going to fit one dedicated socket outlet in the van connected to the inverter put it in a clearly visable place and get one with a built in NEON indicator.

C.

Thanks Brian.

My laptop charges OK on a cheap 300 Watt Koolpower inverter with cigar lighter which I have had for years. Is a quasi sine inverter any different ? I want the new inverter as I realise I could overload the Fiat lighter socket.

Thanks Clive. Point noted on the Neon indicator. Any idea where I would find a flush mounted socket ? I have just ordered a socket from CAK Tanks. I have white household neons fitted in some house sockets but have not seen one that would look right in a van. My German dealer has just posted a euro socket as well !!

Ian, I'd guess the Koolpower is not pure sine wave, but I don't know anything about them. 

Since all your other sockets are German pattern (like ours), why not stick to that?  We just use travel adaptors.  Eagle make one that is quite neat and compact, sold I think by Boots, that is about the same size as a regular UK plug, so it doesn't get in the way of sprung socket covers, and also takes shaver and continental two round pin plugs.  Things we use only in the van now have continental plugs on, so plug straight in. 

With the amount of battery capacity you have, plus the solar panel, I think I'd be tempted to install the inverter to feed your mains circuits (with a relay to turn it off when mains is connected, just in case).  Then, when on mains, the inverter would be isolated and the sockets fed from the hook-up, and when not on mains you can switch the inverter on and still use the normal sockets.  I think Clive may have drawn out a scheme for such a set up some time back (MMM?), possibly even with some parts references, or am I dreaming?  Perfection would be if one could arrange for the inverter to be switched on/off automatically on demand, so it is all fool-proof and fail-safe.

The main thing to watch is excluding the battery charger circuit from the inverter output - because perpetual generation hasn't been invented yet - and you probably wouldn't want to include the fridge 230V supply either, so restricting it to feeding just those circuit/s feeding the power sockets.

Brian,

Thanks for your help. The Koolpower is a modified sine wave.

Your suggestions are very useful,but I think I will probably go with the inverter fitted in the Frankia large boot locker in the habitation doorway which also houses the batteries. Then just plug into the inverter and run a cable through to the cab area.

We do spend 70 % of our time on sites but it is useful to have the facility of a 240 V supply when on an aire.

I have added two sockets to the vans 240 system and installed the German ones from my dealer with the sprung flap covers to match the van.

I have done the same as you with French kettle,German fan heater and any van accessories sourced in France with plug adaptors for phone,camera chargers etc. ( Not suggesting kettles and fan heaters on the inverter !!) I have seen too many bodged DIY second hand vans with a mixture of UK and Euro fittings !

That's the one!  Is the dream of automatic on-demand switching for the inverter possible Clive?  It would be a neat trick if it were possible, so that it only energises when something is plugged in and switched on with no mains power present, and then switches off again when not needed.

Thanks Clive.

I think I will stay simple. My expertise on electrics is average and I could make an awful mess if I get it wrong !!

Thanks all for the info, I will think it through and decide what to fit.

Not much left for the church collection after the solar panel !!!!

Archived