Stops near Dover Suggestions please

Geoff Tuckley

Hi, All,

Setting off for Spain for the winter and driving through France. There are 3 motorhomes, one from Cumbria, one from S. Wales and one from N. Wales all travelling together. We are to be on the 10am Calais Ferry on monday 18th October. We all planned to meet at the Park and Ride in Canterbury for the night of Sunday 17th to get a nights sleep as we will be driving when we hit France for most of the day. Don't want to drive to the ferry overnight and then be driving next day. Anyone any suggestions for an overnight stopover near Dover? One van will be towing a motorcycle on a trailer so site needs to be relatively accessible.

Thanks

Yep I'll go along with that..Black Horse Farm...Site is well accesible if you're towing a trailer..Good newsagents across the road to purchase those last minute periodicals (MMM Magazine!!) and a decent boozer down the road that does some good grub... called the Black Horse if I remember rightly.Plus you are only 20 minutes from the docks so if your on the 10:00 hrs ferry you can leave at 08:30 and be there in plenty of time and get a good place in the queue and have a brew and put the beam benders on before you board!!

I am a bit confused (nothing new there) If you are spending Sunday night on Canterbury park and ride and the ferry is 10am on Monday morning, which night are you spending on Marine Drive?

Read it a couple of times but still not sure, all 3 can travel in the morning to the ferry and still have had a good nights sleep in Canterbury.

Mandy :-D

Sorry about that - not quite clear. We planned to stay at Canterbury but it will be closed on that Sunday night so we are looking for somewhere else.

Will try Black Horse Farm and if that is not possible, the Parade.

Thanks for your assistance, I knew some of you out there would be able to help.

Geoff Tuckley - 2010-08-05 9:58 AM

Sorry about that - not quite clear. We planned to stay at Canterbury but it will be closed on that Sunday night so we are looking for somewhere else.

Will try Black Horse Farm and if that is not possible, the Parade.

Thanks for your assistance, I knew some of you out there would be able to help.

The P&R is normally closed on Sundays, you can exit but not enter, however you can stay at the coach park in Canterbury (Kingsmead Road, next to Sainsburys, N51 17.114 E1 05.047), it's £5 for 12hrs

Andy

Geoff Tuckley - 2010-08-05 10:55 AM

Hi, Peter,

Can't find Black Horse Farm, Densole in the Caravan Club Book. Do you have a telephone no. for them?

Thanks

I don't have my book to hand at the moment, but it should be easy to find. It will be a full page entry under 'Club Sites' - 'Kent'. or can be found online on the Caravan Club web pages.

If it were me I would cross over the previous evening and park up in the free Calais Dock car park for the night. Many do this and it has the advantages of your being fresh the next morning with the crossing already behind you, you've saved an hour on GMT if driving a long way and its probably a cheaper crossing.

Ron

Does anyone know of somewhere to overnight close to the Eurotunnel station? Due to a mix up by Tescos we have to use their reward vouchers to go on Eurotunnel instead of the ferry. Intending to catch the train on a monday morning.Any suggestions appreciated

thanks

Bojitoes

Bojitoes - 2010-08-09 1:11 PM

Does anyone know of somewhere to overnight close to the Eurotunnel station? Due to a mix up by Tescos we have to use their reward vouchers to go on Eurotunnel instead of the ferry. Intending to catch the train on a monday morning.Any suggestions appreciated

thanks

Bojitoes

Again, I suggest the Caravan Club site at Densole. It is nearer to the Shuttle terminal than it is to Dover.

Geoff Tuckley - 2010-08-09 12:55 PM

Thanks for the good advice, Ron, but Blast, I have already booked the ferry. Is it possible to use the Calais Dock car park on the return journey?

Yes Geoff, I am pretty sure you can, although I have never done so (probably a bit noisy though). If you don't mind 'wild camping', then the beach approach road at Oye Plage, about 6 miles up the coast, looks a good spot. there are also 2 or 3 campsites around the same village if you prefer.

Hi Geoff

You can use either the parking at Calais docks (head for the parking to the ticket offices, not the ferry entry point) or the Cite Europe motorhome parking. We've done both and haven't had a problem. We'll be using the Cite Europe parking on Thursday night when we get across, and again the night before we come back. :-D

Thanks Peter. After original post I tried the search facility and, surprise, surprise it came up with suggestions, including Densole. I also remembered that we joined the motor home stop over club at the Peterborough show and there are several Pubs near the tunnel which allow motorhome stopovers free of charge , so we will try one of those first

Do any other contributors have experience of MHS stopovers?

Bojitoes

Archived