Wales here we come

dawki

Going to have a few days in Wales in the next couple of weeks, always wanted to have a look but never got around to it.

Leaving from Surrey and thinking of heading out to Pembroke?

Any info about nice small sites there or on route would be much appreciated.

Also has anybody done any cycling around this area?

Cheers

Dawki

Hi, Dawki,

We spent 4 glorious days recently at a wonderful site at the Southern end of St. Bride's Bay -- stupendous views, decent facilities & friendly owners -- at West Hook Farm, Marloes, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire. (see p.236 of the CCC 'Big Sites book' -- if you have it). The site is not small, but there is space available for people to 'spread out' in -- so that it does not feel hugely crowded.

It opens directly onto the Coastal Path.

Your 'van probably shouldn't be TOO big -- the lanes/minor roads around there are a bit narrow at times.

Enjoy!

Colin.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/resultsall.asp?county=Pembrokeshire also see creampots just out side broadhaven http://www.creampots.co.uk/ you might checkout St Davids if you have time you could always stop of in Cardiff there is a site within the city at Shopia Gardens http://www.cardiff.gov.uk/content.asp?nav=2868,2969,3857&parent_directory_id=2865&id=1582

Bit north of Pembroke, but we had two great days on Mwnt in early July...great beach, dolphins, simple site...not great cycling territory though.

Cycling in Pembroke is pretty good...got my lifetime top speed ( 53 mph ) coming off the Prescelis. Can be a bit commiting, depending on your taste for hills.

Give the lad a break, Rupert, he's a cyclist -- only masochists cycle in Snowdonia!

Anyway, your wonderful 'backyard', which, I agree with you, is the finest part of Wild wales, will be full of tourists (and their Children) at this time of year -- best to chose a time outside school hols. if poss.!

IMO, Pembrokeshire, around St. Bride's bay and including the islands, makes for a lovely restful break, with plenty to do -- I speak as one who experienced it for the first time only last June -- a very pleasant discovery.

For Dawki North wales can come later perhaps.

Colin.

Symbol Owner - 2010-08-05 9:46 PM

Give the lad a break, Rupert, he's a cyclist -- only masochists cycle in Snowdonia!

Anyway, your wonderful 'backyard', which, I agree with you, is the finest part of Wild wales, will be full of tourists (and their Children) at this time of year -- best to chose a time outside school hols. if poss.!

IMO, Pembrokeshire, around St. Bride's bay and including the islands, makes for a lovely restful break, with plenty to do -- I speak as one who experienced it for the first time only last June -- a very pleasant discovery.

For Dawki North wales can come later perhaps.

Colin.

Now this depends what sort of cyclist he is. We have some of the best mountain bike tracks in the UK with the Mapin trail at Betws y Coed, the extension network in Coed Brennen and a lot at Beddgelert where I live. Their are a lot of tourists around but still not to crowded.

Really just looking for gentle on/off road with the bike

Was not sure whether to go more north or not I would definitely love to have a look be it this trip or the next time.

Somebody at work said have a look around Pembroke so that was my starting point, but I like to keep it all very open and see where it takes me.

Cheers

Dawki

You can't beat Pembrokeshire; Britain's hidden gem! 

We used to stay on Fishguard Bay Caravan Park (before we lived here) as it is right above Fishguard, on the coastal path and with views to die for right out of your window.

You can get cycle route suggestion leaflets from the information centres; we are walkers so don't really know about off road cycling!

If you get the chance, either walk or cycle to the top of Carn Inglis and take in the views of cardigan bay, stupendous!

Symbol Owner - 2010-08-04 7:11 PM

Hi, Dawki,

We spent 4 glorious days recently at a wonderful site at the Southern end of St. Bride's Bay -- stupendous views, decent facilities & friendly owners -- at West Hook Farm, Marloes, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire. (see p.236 of the CCC 'Big Sites book' -- if you have it). The site is not small, but there is space available for people to 'spread out' in -- so that it does not feel hugely crowded.

It opens directly onto the Coastal Path.

Your 'van probably shouldn't be TOO big -- the lanes/minor roads around there are a bit narrow at times.

Enjoy!

Colin.

Thanks for that tip colin I left early this morning and i am on west hook now after a great day at st Annes head and Martins Haven, really like the site

Thinking of heading bit further north tomorrow and see what we find.

cheers

Dawki

Cheers, Dawki,

Glad you enjoyed it!

We were so taken with it that we just didn't want to move on -- we didn't have a lot of time available, so we just explored the area around where you have just been staying. Marloes Sands are beautiful ( if you are not miles away by the time that you read this) -- particularly at low tide.

Have a great trip wherever you go,

Colin.

Hi Colin

Having a real great time ended up in Gower last couple of days.

I have left there now and sort of heading home

at Porthcawl at the moment but thinking going up to Afan forest on the bike tomorrow

Cheers

Dawki

You lot are living in the wrong part of Wales :-)

If you look at the weather forecasts you will see that the southernmost tip of cardigan bay does not get the rainfall that the rest of Wales does!  If you don't believe me take a look at the charts.

We have just spent a 'yucky' wet(ish) week in the midlands and at the Malvern show.  Finally gave up and came home late yesterday, the neighbours took great delight in telling me how they have had a glorious dry and fairly sunny week.  Took the opportunity today of taking out all the kit from the van and drying it out on the drive.

Archived