a bible guide of do and don'ts of wild camping.?

trikershaun

Education is the way forward, a set of guidelines will not work for everyone but it surely will for some hence the problem will be slightly reduced.

Dont just sit back and grumble make suggestions, it isn't as though it is going to cost you anything.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wild camping is getting a tent, walking miles from anywhere and setting up camp there. Parking a M/H in a layby or seafront, blocking someone elses view of the beach is not wild camping by any stretch of imagination. It is a cheapskate way of getting a free spot for night and to hell with anyone else. To many, not just in the UK, are doing it and getting M/H a bad name. This year on the road to Sete in the south of France their was a section of road at least a mile long which was wall to wall vans. These people with a total disregard for anyone had plainly set up for a few days stay, for anyone not familiar with the road it is right next to the beach. You see it more and more in France, the French are probably the worst offenders, so those of us who behave in a resonable manner and only stop for a short period get punished for the rest when parking of M/H is completely banned. I agree an aire type system would be good but it will never happen if the 'wildcampers' continue to get us all a bad name. It is not just about bad practice it is about where you choose to park for the night. I have heard all the arguments about the freedom you get etc, well I have never spent the night in my M/H other than on a campsite or an aire, never book. In europe during June/July our average campsite fee was about 11.5 euro, at current rate £9.30, so please tell me where the extra freedom comes in. If you are to mean/hard up to pay for a campsite or an aire then at least have the honesty to say so and stop all this 'freedom of the road, I have my own facilities etc claptrap. I do at least understand people who use only aires/stelplatz etc, they can save some money and park up in an approved spot but so called wild camping is causing problems everywhere so far from producing a set of rules better to stop doing it.

Maybe a distinction needs to be made between 'wild' campers and 'feral' campers.

feral (adj) existing in a wild state, esp. after being domestic or cultivated.

And as I stated on another thread:

johngee - 2010-08-08 5:40 PM

Ah, the Algarve!!!

There's nothing I like more than visiting my favourite beaches & headlands and enjoying the uninterrupted views of dozens of motorhomes, clearly entrenched for some time. I love to admire the satellite dishes, washing, chairs, tables, and all the other crap which spoils what was once a beautiful location.

Hi there syd,

That was a good post and it contained the words 'and once you have agreed'. That is the problem matey. How on earth can you get agreement on here?

My comments would only echo what has been said before. I will only wildcamp if there is not another m/home in sight.

The worst part of this thread is that, for once, I am in agreement with Rupert123. :-S

rupert123 - 2010-08-08 5:06 PM

Wild camping is getting a tent, walking miles from anywhere and setting up camp there. Parking a M/H in a layby or seafront, blocking someone elses view of the beach is not wild camping by any stretch of imagination. It is a cheapskate way of getting a free spot for night and to hell with anyone else. To many, not just in the UK, are doing it and getting M/H a bad name. This year on the road to Sete in the south of France their was a section of road at least a mile long which was wall to wall vans. These people with a total disregard for anyone had plainly set up for a few days stay, for anyone not familiar with the road it is right next to the beach. You see it more and more in France, the French are probably the worst offenders, so those of us who behave in a resonable manner and only stop for a short period get punished for the rest when parking of M/H is completely banned. I agree an aire type system would be good but it will never happen if the 'wildcampers' continue to get us all a bad name. It is not just about bad practice it is about where you choose to park for the night. I have heard all the arguments about the freedom you get etc, well I have never spent the night in my M/H other than on a campsite or an aire, never book. In europe during June/July our average campsite fee was about 11.5 euro, at current rate £9.30, so please tell me where the extra freedom comes in. If you are to mean/hard up to pay for a campsite or an aire then at least have the honesty to say so and stop all this 'freedom of the road, I have my own facilities etc claptrap. I do at least understand people who use only aires/stelplatz etc, they can save some money and park up in an approved spot but so called wild camping is causing problems everywhere so far from producing a set of rules better to stop doing it.

I agree completely with everything you say Rupert 123. When I was a lad my mother taught me to have respect for others, use commonsense and above all have respect for yourself, in any case, who are these people who can afford to spend thousands for a motorhome yet can't afford to pay for a place to use it? The mind boggles!! :-S B-)

At last some cmmon sense on this thread. My reasoning is that if using your supposed freedom to camp where you please infringes on someone elses freedom who is right and as to a bible? a recent thread on this forum had people who would normaly do everything correctly advised a newbie to discharge his waste water on the road while moving and could not understand why others considered it wrong. It's a no win situation and I don't need some code to tell me what is right and wrong it was instilled in me as a child and I've passed that on to my children. *-) John.

bigal - 2010-08-08 6:37 PM

in any case, who are these people who can afford to spend thousands for a motorhome yet can't afford to pay for a place to use it? The mind boggles!! :-S B-)

Boggle away then, our MH cost well into 5 figures when we bought it, circumstances change and if it wasn't for a bit of 'respectful' 'commonsense' off-site parking we wouldn't get away in it as much as we do.

Andy

Andy_C - 2010-08-09 4:44 PM
bigal - 2010-08-08 6:37 PM in any case, who are these people who can afford to spend thousands for a motorhome yet can't afford to pay for a place to use it? The mind boggles!! :-S B-)
Boggle away then, our MH cost well into 5 figures when we bought it, circumstances change and if it wasn't for a bit of 'respectful' 'commonsense' off-site parking we wouldn't get away in it as much as we do. Andy

iv been waiting for some one to say somthing like this, im with you here , :0) things do change..

the bit im worried about is that if respect for this is not given as time goes this wild camping as im putting  will stop as councils will shut you out, then the sites get the monopoly on it and some of them are prissy.

ignorance is what will kill it for us all

Ref Rupert 123's comments, whilst I agree with some, I don't agree with them all.

rupert123 - 2010-08-08 5:06 PM

Parking a M/H in a layby or seafront, blocking someone elses view of the beach is not wild camping by any stretch of imagination. It is a cheapskate way of getting a free spot for night and to hell with anyone else. ...... I agree an aire type system would be good but it will never happen if the 'wildcampers' continue to get us all a bad name. It is not just about bad practice it is about where you choose to park for the night. ...... If you are to mean/hard up to pay for a campsite or an aire then at least have the honesty to say so and stop all this 'freedom of the road, I have my own facilities etc claptrap.

We do 'wild' or, to give it a more appropriate name, 'off (camp)site' parking but are careful where and when so as not to spoil it for others, both other motorhomers and the residents of the area we are in - no one should infringe on anyone else's enjoyment. Meanness/hard-upness (is that word?) has nothing particularly to do with it, its about where we want to be at the point in time. If we want to be on a campsite we'll use one, if we want to be on a CL, we'll use one, if not then we'll 'off site' park. We spend in the local shops etc and attractions and enjoy having a potter around places at night, some of them are magical (and yes I'm talking about the UK!) and that is something that you miss out on if you're on a CL or campsite.

We don't like large 'formal' sites and rarely use them, CLs are our preference but they are not always in the area we want to be in, especially if we are travelling and only need a stop for one night on our journey. I do object, however, to being ripped off on some sites and that really does annoy me - on our recent holiday we had every intention of visiting a CL, with just the basic facilities, in the book it was down as £4, plus £2 for electric if we wanted it, we obviously expected it to have gone up a bit but when we rang it was £10 and £12 respectively, nothing had changed facility wise. You may have been happy to pay this but we weren't especially as it meant a detour from our direction of travel, so we 'off site' parked instead, no one knew we were there as we could not been seen so no one was upset etc.

I do at least understand people who use only aires/stelplatz etc, they can save some money and park up in an approved spot but so called wild camping is causing problems everywhere so far from producing a set of rules better to stop doing it.

I'm now confused, why do you say you can understand some people using aires/stellplatz etc to 'save some money' but call those same people mean if they 'off-site' park in the UK (due to the lack of aires).

If you don't want to 'off site' park that's up to you and I respect that you have your own reasons for this, but for those of us who do it responsibly, then please have respect for us in return. :-D

Mel B I have read through your post and the points you make and concede that a lot of M/H owners have parked as you suggest for whatever reason with probably no harm done. However this thread has been about a guide for people who do it all or most of the time. For the few who behave in a responsible manner their are thousands especially in Europe who do not, and this whether you accept it or not is causeing problems. The bit about you park where you want to be makes the point, unfortunatly you cannot always do this. As to off site parking, good description, because it allows you to wander around a place at night why can you not do this from an aire or campsite. If you mean you simply drive into a town or village and just park up this is just the sort of behaviour that is making the problems. Their is a thread over on MHF running about a similar thing. In Cornwall it looks as if they are going to ban M/H parking in laybys etc completely because of the abuse.

Hello...Just dipped in again!

Whilst a guide for "wildcamping" may be useful, what has generally been discussed here is "Free Camping".......

IMO "Wild" is used as an euphemism to avoid a freeloader tag.

I don't mind if people Free camp, it's their choice. I do find it annoying to have it called "wildcamping" when it is no where near wild, just free.

I know it gives some people a "Buzz" to have had "Free" nights. it saves cash and may give one a feeling of being "one-up" on society. Good for them if that is their lifestyle, but I like them to be honest (If that is possible) and call it "Free camping"

I'd accept "wild" if they are more than five miles away from other people!

Don't expect it to change tho' to much bull-puckie in todays world.

Happy camping all. :-D

Syd - 2010-08-10 6:09 PM

All this talking and all the excuses but still no sign of a posible code being put together, I wonder why.

Plenty of wind and no constructive ideas being put forward

Maybe because few of us think

a it is necessary

b it would work

it don't fully have to work do it, we at least must be seen to doing something for our selves to try and combat bad behavior at least, so when people like you lot try and  campaign for the aires things you were at least seen to do something positive, and any way negative as this is turning out if its not tried  you will never know.

and i also take my hat off to them that dont reckit for others.

Thanks for your comments Travelling Tyke.

I appear to be a genuine wildcamper most of the time using your 5 mile rule.

I only wish people would stay at home more in summertime. You settle down somewhere quiet and lots of people turn up with buckets and spades.

BAH HUMBUG 8o|

rupert123 - 2010-08-09 10:43 PM

Mel B I have read through your post and the points you make and concede that a lot of M/H owners have parked as you suggest for whatever reason with probably no harm done........

The bit about you park where you want to be makes the point, unfortunatly you cannot always do this. As to off site parking, good description, because it allows you to wander around a place at night why can you not do this from an aire or campsite. If you mean you simply drive into a town or village and just park up this is just the sort of behaviour that is making the problems.

No, it isn't always possible to park where we want to be, but where it is possible, without upsetting or affecting others, then we may do so. I don't just 'drive in' and 'park up' so you need not include me in your 'bad behaviour' lot - if there is the possibility that our being somewhere would cause problems or upset for others, then we simply don't stop. This is the first rule on our 'overnight stop' list and if it isn't met then we move on. On our recent Welsh holiday we came across a few places where it would have been possible physically to stop, but it did not meet our first 'rule', so we didn't.

As for being able to wander around a place at night, this isn't always possible either if you're located on a campsite some miles away - this is more applicable to the UK rather than abroad as there are very few here that are anywhere near to towns or villages, so careful consideration as to whether we can stop near to the town or village is always given. I like to take photos at night, and I have some lovely shots of villages lit up, which I wouldn't have otherwise, as I said, some places are magical after dark, and this would be missed if having to stay on a campsite all the time.

Aires, on the other hand, being in mainland Europe, are often next to a village/town so it is much easier to go for a potter round after dark.

When we were in Scotland recently, at Portree on Skye, a Dutch motorhomer wanted to stay overnight so he could go for a meal and have a drink. There was a campsite but it was a few kilometres away and the roads weren't safe enough to walk on at night, there being no footpath. Unfortunately the car park had a big sign which said no overnight parking, but a local chap came over and said he shouldn't have a problem so long as he parked at the back of the car park out of the way as they didn't have a traffic warden anymore and no one would bother him. He stayed put as the local chap had suggested he should and no doubt had a lovely evening partaking of one of the wonderful restaurants.

Again, it is the inconsiderate and selfish ones who are causing the problems for those of us who are more careful in our 'off site' parking. If you don't want to do it that's fine, but do not condemn those of us who do so with consideration for others. :-S

rupert123 - 2010-08-09 10:43 PM

In Cornwall it looks as if they are going to ban M/H parking in laybys etc completely because of the abuse.

I can understand Cornwall banning overnight parking in laybys, (an awful lot of Car drivers are also abusers in this aspect.)

I suppose they could impose a time limit but the laybys form part of the highway, so IMO they could not impose an overall ban on Motorhomes.

Even the Authorities recommend a break after 2 hours driving, irrespective of time of day.

However having once pulled into a layby down there, you could be stuck for an eternity before being able to rejoin the carriageway, especially on major routes at weekends.

if you are not bothering any one by pulling in for the night cos your past your sell by date of driving ie your nakerd and a danger to others, or like  mell is saying becose you wish to eat and drink with out the risk of being hit by a over tyed motor home driver that don't believe in pulling to a car park or lay  by the what is wrong with that if he or she is conducting him or her sel proper and respecting others whether its a day night stop or two?

funny really this thread has gone from a code of practise type thing to well you should not do it any way cos its wrong , this is how im reading this now, i give up all i wish to do is  try to preserve what we do, speaking for my self  only i do not stand on any ones toes apart from i have the worlds most ugly  motorhome, and im about to change that just to pleas others and my self. cos now i feel even more stand out in croud.

Porky - 2010-08-06 12:02 PM Some of us have tried to encourage local authorities to provide proper facilities for visiting motorhomes using well presented and well argued reasons why it makes sense. The reaction in the main is not encouraging. I once posted a thread (aires for England) suggesting that people approached their own local councils and posted their success/failure so that it could be a running campaign. The response was very poor, in fact this thread is longer>:-) As a motorhome owner I can see the attraction of this wonderful part of the country I live in being an attraction to wild campers. BUT I am also a resident and would object vehemently to visitors just parking up where they feel like it. Bear in mind you are looking at this as an individual of one, it could be like a rash if no control was excercised*-)

people are talking about this now on this thread may be now is a time to stat the process, what is involved in trying, also this idea of yours  can you explain to me how it all works,  i under stand about emptying waist, but I'm confused about parking and so forth.

trikershaun - 2010-08-11 12:04 PM
Porky - 2010-08-06 12:02 PM Some of us have tried to encourage local authorities to provide proper facilities for visiting motorhomes using well presented and well argued reasons why it makes sense. The reaction in the main is not encouraging. I once posted a thread (aires for England) suggesting that people approached their own local councils and posted their success/failure so that it could be a running campaign. The response was very poor, in fact this thread is longer>:-) As a motorhome owner I can see the attraction of this wonderful part of the country I live in being an attraction to wild campers. BUT I am also a resident and would object vehemently to visitors just parking up where they feel like it. Bear in mind you are looking at this as an individual of one, it could be like a rash if no control was excercised*-)

people are talking about this now on this thread may be now is a time to stat the process, what is involved in trying, also this idea of yours  can you explain to me how it all works,  i under stand about emptying waist, but I'm confused about parking and so forth.

Try thisMotorhome Friendly & Unfriendly Parking pages www.motorhomeparking.co.ukGJH has, and continues to be a crusader for asking councils to provide parking for motorhomes.Also if you do a search for threads in connection with parking, such "as aires for england" that might point you in the right direction.

Archived