Devon -short stops

Heyloft

Great forum first post so pls be gentle if I get any terminology wrong.

Just bought a Dethleffs A6991 looking forward to some fun times with the kids.

As well as the usual days away the MH will also come in useful as a base when visiting my 12 year old in Paignton, particularly when the weather is c**p.

I visit from Derbyshire once a fortnight for a long long Sunday ( sometimes Saturday & Sunday)

Where to park the MH in/ near Paignton ? Mainly during the day so we have a base to relax in when the weather turns sour ?

I don't want to fall foul of some draconian council restrictions

A simple question for you experienced members but left me scratching my head a bit.

Thanks

I'm assuming you mean somewhere to stay overnight or spend the day at?  If you are a member of the Caravan Club there are two 5 x van Certified Locations 2 or 3 miles outside Painton :-

Site 1: Mr Cooper, Marldon-Tor, Ipplepen Rd, Marldon, Paignton TQ3 1SG - Tel: 01803 558341 - GPS: 50.46017, -3.606066

Facilities: 1ac, views, wc, h & c, batt, sandy beach 2½m, open Apr-Oct, £5, dogs £2.50, awning £1.50.

Site 2: R. F. Hunt, Broadleigh Farm, Coombe House Lane, Aish, Stoke Gabriel, Totnes TQ9 6PU - Tel: 01803 782309 - GPS: 50.41692, -3.611648

Facilities:  ¾ac, sloping, wc, h & c, shwr, raz & hairdrier pts, facs for disabled, el pts, batt, B & B, coa**e fishing 2m, sandy beach 2½m, open all year, advance bkg req Jul-Aug, £8.50, awning extra.

W2G

Well that depends upon your point of view I guess.

We joined to get access to their 5 van CL network of sites, some of which are in fabulous locations.  We've also used their main sites from time to time.

We also joined the Camping and Caravan Club for the same reasons.

When we decide to visit a particular region for a holiday or long weekend we check to see what CL / CS sites are in the region and take it from there.

The alternative is a commercial site (if you like restaurants, water slides, static caravans and lots of screaming kids) or wild camping where you could get a knock on the door at any minute moving you on.

Just my personal view ;-)

W2G

I agree with Way2Go join the two clubs. Also you can never have too much information and half the fun is keeping articles on places to go from the magazines and tracking down web sites. You obviously have access to the internet and that will provide you with masses of information with google searches. One thing I have found useful is to use Google Earth to actually see where the place you are interested in is situated relative to towns/pubs/restaurants/ beach etc etc.

If you wanted to take your daughter out for a few days there is a very good adventure park near Dartmouth which also has a campsite

http://www.woodlands-caravanpark.com/

Roy Fuller

I also agree with reccomendation to use cl's very good value and just as cheap as most day parking in holiday areas so to use a modern term "its a no brainer" beets the worry of prettending that your a new age traveller and parking on a lay by etc...........oops i've done it again and upset the wilders out there, never mind though its all in good humour......honest. :-D

Archived