Fridge on a slope

Citizenfish

Parked up at the Durdle Door site this week, my fridge failed to work completely on gas or electricity. It is a Dometic 3 way fitted into a Ci Carioca.

I know from my previous van that the slope causes a problem with fridges. At Durdle Door the angle is really quite profound.

So, is there a fridge upgrade I can consider that would remove this issue? Or do I have to fit it in some sort of gyroscope :-D

There is not normally any problems with the modern Dometic fridges, we have a TEC tower and never had any problems even at quite steep angles.

Dometic do not give any figurers for permissible tilt angle I seem to remember on old models it was 5 deg. but any fridge made in the last 10-15years should not have a problem.

May be worth giving their support line a ring 0844 626 0130

Did you try getting the van level ? I use a spirit level on the shower floor, and leave a slight tilt so the water drains away. You don't have to be pedantic about it, but it does help to have a reasonably level van, you don't have to walk like a drunken sailor, and you don't slide down/up/out of bed, AND, (as you found out,NOT) the Fridge works. I don't know if 'newer' fridges work when on a tilt, but older ones certainly don't.

Better get the levelling blocks out or change pitches. Ray

Archived