GPS Recommendations

StewartJ

Hi Stewart & welcome to the Forum

Has you Tom Tom One got a removable SD Card. If not the update to include Europe will fill the built-in Memory & will not leave you sufficient capacity to add any POI's (campsites, etc.)

Even if your existing has a SD Card, you may need to buy a large capacity Card. (so that cost will need to be taken into consideration)

May be as cheap to go for a new unit.

Have a look at Halfords half Price sale

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_165508_langId_-1

But Sat Nav's are nearly always discounted somewhere so check out other sourses also.

It has been reported that newer / proposed Tomtoms cannot be loaded with 3rd party POIs. Only those POIs supplied from TT. When they find that they are not selling any units might rethink the policy.

In the meantime take a look at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=index Very good site with user reports and latest Speed Cams updated weekly.

Rgds

Hi Tony

My understanding is the TOM TOM have introduced their policy, but that it only applies to Speed Camera location POI's.

The alternative would be for any POI's obtained to be uploaded to Tom Tom Home, for inclusion on their "User" submitted POI facility

Thanks for the friendly welcome and the input, leaning toward a new GPS, Tomtom want £40 for new map plus a years subscription to updates total in excess of £60. Unit is over 3 years old and rather basic by todays standards.

The newer generation with lane assist at junctions etc really appeals (thinking of marital harmony here, at present it can result in somewhat terse instructions from her goodself often in heavy traffic. No rush we'll make do with the old one till I finally retire later next year and we go abroad.

A quick introduction, we've been tuggers for many years having always dreamed of owning a MH, spent over a year researching, visiting dealers and talking to owners before finally settling on the layout best suited for us. We take delivery of an Autotrail Tracker on September 1st and shortly after will be touring Scotland for a couple of weeks. She being the very organised one has already booked several sites (Caravan Club) and were hoping to try some wild stuff in the middle of it!

The spare bedroom is full of "stuff" for the MH, jokingly suggested we contact dealers for a quote on a tow bar and trailer to take it all, very stony reception! Wonder where there'll be room for my clothes!

ATB All

Stewart

;-)

flicka - 2010-08-08 9:21 PM . . . . My understanding is the TOM TOM have introduced their policy . . . .

Quote from PocketGPSworld.com :-

". . . . a triumph for community power the week. The uproar regarding the removal of 3rd Party POI warnings on the newer TomTom devices has resulted in them being re-instated in the next software release."

W2G

StewartJ - 2010-08-08 10:52 PM

"Snip "

The spare bedroom is full of "stuff" for the MH, jokingly suggested we contact dealers for a quote on a tow bar and trailer to take it all, very stony reception! Wonder where there'll be room for my clothes!

Stewart

;-)

No problem with a towbar -- Him >> Motorcaravan. Her >> caravan ! :D

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2010-08-09 2:40 PM

StewartJ - 2010-08-08 10:52 PM

"Snip "

Stewart

;-)

No problem with a towbar -- Him >> Motorcaravan. Her >> caravan ! :D

Rgds

:D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

In Currys here in Greenock yesterday suprised to find 2 upper end Tomtom models being offered at 1/2 price or less, Go 630 at £149.00 and Go 730 at £179.00.

On returning to my ship checked both units out on web, and at that price either is a steal.

Both have 4.3 screens, lane guidance, bluetooth, full UK and Western Europe Maps (730 includes Eastern Europe) plus many other features.

Assume they are heavily discounted to make way for replacement models featuring the new "Live" feature, but do I need that! They also feature map share, IQ route technology, and all sorts of other stuff.

Bought the 730 today and am well chuffed, the Eastern Europe maps settled it for me along with the FM transmitter etc.

Again thanks for all your thoughts.

PS They are only at this price till this Sunday if anyone else is thinking!

Archived