M6 - Kendal thereabouts

Caroline

Hi

We will be travelling from Hampshire to Kinross shortly and would like suggestions for a heads down stopover, no facilities required. We are looking to arrive in the Kendal area about 11.15pm and wish to leave about 8am.

I have tried the Tebay Services which is about the right area but they have quoted £18 per night.........a bit steep for me for the lenght of time required.

I see the Moto services do a 2-24hr stop for £8.

Has any one stopped at any of these service stations, and found one a lot better than the others, I do realise that it is going to be noisy have done it before and not found it that intrusive.

Thanks for your help.

Come off the M6 at Junction 39 (Shap). Pass through the village heading north and there is a large pull off on the left. In the morning you can continue north to Junction 40 or return through the village to junction 37. There is a Co-op in the village for early morning victuals.

Caroline - 2010-08-09 3:06 PM

As we were anticipating an after 11 arrival. I had rulled out any sites. But if we are quicker of the mark it will be worth considering. Thanks

After 11 is no probs caravan field is not next to the house and access is by coded gate, level hardstanding so drive on and straight to bed :-D

flicka - 2010-08-09 4:57 PM

Within 1 mile M6, M61 & M65

A little nearer than Kendal, (near Preston) but ideal as a stop-over & all hard surface.

Plus Meal voucher at Pub/Restaurant.

From £11.50 incl 16A Electric, less £5.00 Meal Voucher.

http://www.rimmerhouse.com/

John, that's a stones throw away from me but I hadn't come across it, it's amazing what this forum turns up.

Martyn

Hi Martyn

I found it on the web when looking for a site close to Preston, in case I needed an overnight in bad weather.

As it happened I didn't visit.

If you get the opportunity a report (site & pub) would be appreciated.

Apologies to YOH, for giving an excuse to go for a pint. :-D

Hi Martyn

I found it on the web when looking for a site close to Preston, in case I needed an overnight in bad weather.

flicka - 2010-08-09 7:45 PM

Hi Martyn

The photos look good but it is *right* next to the motorway: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=53.726518,-2.635582+(Rimmer+House)&sll=53.726524,-2.63586&sspn=0.001049,0.002339&g=53.726518,-2.635582&ie=UTF8&ll=53.726513,-2.635581&spn=0.008392,0.018711&t=h&z=16

Andy

ips - 2010-08-16 1:05 PM

we are heading for the NFOL, QUOTE]

Eh ???? :-S

Hit the reply button and not the quote button in replying to Graham. I guess that is what you meant. If you are correcting my grammer and spelling you are on a lost cause....... :-) :-D (lol)

ips - 2010-08-16 1:30 PM

Was acctually replying to you....

NFOL ..... whats that then ... give us a clue ????

National Feast of the Lanterns it is the yearly festival for the Camping and Caravanning Club which this year is being held in Balado Park, Kinross. It is a 5 day meet and there will be approx 4000 units there. Normally there is traffic alert on the radio at about 12noon thursday as we all try and get in at the same time. This is the web site www.nfol-2010.co.uk you will see that this years theme is theatre and we in Solent DA (subdivision) of the CC&C have elected to do Pantomime in particular Cinderella hence the carriage and horses, it is all light weight and being carried between about 20 units. It is very home grown and quite addictive to be involved. We were going to stay longer in bonny Scotland but other commitments got in the way.

If you are a member you will have seen it in the magazine and hopefully in about two issues time you will see a review of it. #

Have a look.

Caroline (lol)

Hi,If you make better speed north, the there is a Caravan Club CL close to Lockerbie. Leave M6 at Junction 18 go into lockerbie, then on to A709 toward Lochmaben. Site on minor road to left of A709 approx 1 mile out of Lockerbie. (9£ a night) Just returned from trip to Dingwall and used it en route.

Tonyg3nwl

Archived