Service Intervals: Auto-Sleeper Wilton On Ford.

Frank McAuley

My mhome is a A/S Wilton based on a Ford Transit ,2.4 TDCi;103 kw @ 3500 rpm; chassis no:WFOFXXTTFF8A41668. The mhome is one year old this month(Aug 2010).

Perusal of MMM indicates to me that the service interval is 2 yrs but Ford quotes 1 yr or 15,000 miles!

The highly-informed membership of this forum has been a tremendous help in the past so,please,what do I do?

BTW anybody have problems with "poor-fitting" beds in A/S's?

My advice would be to go with the Ford warranty servicing timing/mileage requirement.....to avoid them arguing that you've breached the warranty terms in the event of future problems with the base vehicle.

Remember that it DOES NOT have to be serviced by a Ford Main Agent to retain your entitlement to warranty; it can be serviced by any competent person so long as they've serviced it in accordance with the checks/adjustments etc in the service handbook, and have used Ford, or equivalent other, parts/fluids.

Keep receipts etc to prove this if not using a Ford servicing agent.

Hi Neil

Good to hear from you again. When the "double bed" is made-up in then lounge area there is a 5/6" gap between the bed and the wall of the mhome. This gap needs to be "stuffed" with cushions to stop one's rear end ungraciously slipping through it in the wee small hours.

I highlighted this problem with my local dealer,Savilles Motorhomes but A/S was of the opinion there was nothing they could do. During my recent 6 week trip to France I was lucky enough to meet two moderators of the Motormome Facts website who told me the "fix" was unacceptable and to go back to A/S. I have done that this week and I await the response from them via Savilles.

In my relatively short time motorhoming I have been surprised and delighted at the help offered by other mhomers- and tuggers! A big TYOU!

It is correct that when the 2.4 140PS RWD MK7 Transit first came out, that the service interval was up to 30,000 miles and two years. The idea was that if servicing was needed before then, a warning light (shaped like a spanner) would come on in the instrument cluster.

This schedule was abandoned by Ford, due to reported problems and they have reverted to 15,000 miles and one year.

It was only the 2.4 with the 140PS engine and RWD that had this service interval, the others were 15,000 miles and one year. Now they are all the same.

I have one of these early vans and have always used the one year service plan and the van seems to like it ;-)

I wouldn't let any motorhome, regardless of base vehicle type, go more than a year without a proper service. The problem with motorhomes is they are built on light commercial vehicle chassis designed to cope with up to 100,000 miles per year (that is not a mistype, I really do mean one hundred thousand miles per year). Most motorhomes will cover an average 5,000 miles per year which means they spend a huge proportion of their life sitting doing nothing but gently corroding perhaps.

I regularly see brake discs that are seriously pitted due to standing idle, brake pads that are crumbling due to being lightly used most of the time then once or twice a year being worked hard on Alpine or pyrennean (sp?) descents.

Do you really want to take a chance on your brakes being up to scratch for the sake of £150 or so?

D.

Hi Frank I have an Autosleeper Wilton and have had no probs with the beds. Its just over a year old and just over 6k but I serviced it anyway use ford oil and filter if you are doing it yourself or if putting it in get EGR valve new type fitted and chek the large water pipe on the pass side of the engine as the fuel pipe rubes a hole in it 5 of our fleet vans have also there is a oil filter at the top drivers side of the rocker cover that can be changed its the same as the land rover one. P/S I hope you like yours as much as I like mine and I found Autosleeper very good to work with which is more than I can say about B/hills

Hi Folks

Tyou for all the advice/help. Wilton currently having habitation check and awaiting A/S authorising warranty work- esp illfitting woodwor

k between work top and microwace and gap between bed and wall.

It had its first service today at 2k miles and 12 mths and everything was fine. I asked about ECU updates but none required but on readind Sunbeam's comments I wonder should I refer back to Ford (Lindsay,Lisburn) re EGR valve and oil filter- I assume this is another filter and not the main one for the engine?

I questioned the service manager and he intimated all was perfect. Is it possible the new EGR valve is fitted to mine.

Yes I like my Wilton but it's a pity Auto-Sleeper lost their way a few years ago and quality suffered.Let's hope they put it right!

Archived