Autotrail Cheyenne 696?

Pickle Pot

I saw recently a very nice Autotrail Cheyenne - I think a 696, a six berth with a dinette, over cab bed and L shaped lounge, and not too long (around 23 feet, at a guess). It was pretty near perfect but the only thing that stopped me buying it was the fact that it was 9 years old and I am wanting something less than 5 years old. However, most of the newer models seem to be with a fixed bed and large garage - does anyone happen to know when they stopped making this van with an L-shaped end lounge?

It's the first L-shaped end lounge I've seen - any other suggestions that fit the bill?

Hi Pickle Pot

Autotrail generally have a forward lounge - 2 side sofa's.

Ther is a factory option to change one side to a half dinette - forward facing with seat belts.

I don't know if Autotrail will fit this option retrospectively.

It may be worth asking them if it is possible.

see http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/contact.htm

Their website also shows the Apache 700 model (24'3") with forward full dinette layout, side kitchen & rear lounge.

Guest Tracker

Autotrail do play ducks and drakes with their names and layouts from time to time and it can get confusing.

We have always discounted 'L' shaped lounge vans because they seem to us not to make a very comfortable bed with too many joins and we also prefer two bench seats so that we can both lounge with feet up!

It is not one of their more popular layouts so do be careful how much you pay for it as it might not be seen as desirable when trade in time comes.

I would not worry about the age of the van if the layout and condition is what you want as Autotrails from the early noughties were well built, solid and durable although they are starting to look and feel a little dated these days?

Of greater importance is the condition internally - has it had hard use with saggy upholstery and damaged woodwork and worktops for example?

At least with a van that age once you have suffered the depreciation loss of the dealer profit it won't devalue much year on year unlike a new or newer van which seems to drop like a stone when selling but not when buying?

Thanks all! Yes, I like both the end lounge apache and scout but I did like the shortness of this one. Will try to email autotrail today and ask about retro-fitting dinettes and seatbelts ...

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was the 696 (or, given that I'm clearly no expert :-D it did have that number on the van). I would show you, but there's no link to it on the dealer's website - they do seem pretty slow to update on there - and I can't find another one like it to link to. I was hoping I'd be able to find another one perhaps two or three years newer - but despite a good look on Caravan Selecta, Practical Motorhome and Autotrader, I can only find the fixed bed/garage or no dinette option - where else would you look online?

Given its age, it was in excellent condition - the upholstery was in better nick than the 09 plate Autoroller we saw elsewhere which was already starting to sag. It was rather dated inside, but the mileage was low. I really liked the L-shaped lounge - it felt spacious despite the shorter length of the van (which was also a big plus). Hmm, nine years is getting on a bit though ... I reckon their asking price of 26 or 27k was high though!

Archived