smelly fridge

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Currently on holiday in Italy, last few days noticed a smell that can only be described as vomit when we open the door or the window. I have discovered that the vomit smell is actually coming from the grill on the fridge. I have removed both grills and cannot see anything. Has anybody got any ideas as it is disgusting?

starvin marvin - 2010-08-11 12:23 PM

This will sound daft, but sour milk does smell of vomit, a bit like baby sick, remember those days? Spilt some in the car once, took ages to get rid of the stink. Spilt any milk?

as said it may be milk which may have spilt down thro defrost hole into drip tray as mentioned :$

Guest JudgeMental

No, smell is from grill outside, no smell at all from inside fridge? Have cleaned it out twice....was thinking maybe something crawled in through grill and died over the winter but slats are very small....... Come on !ian! Where are yyou when i need you! Lol its enough to put you of Your G and T for Gods sake!

Can't you remove the external grilles Eddie?  Turn button device at one end?  It may be the condense trap. 

How close to a wheel are the fridge grilles?  Something nasty on a tyre, gently cooking in the sun?

Might a previous occupant of you pitch have overdone the Valpolicella, and left you a little gift?  The smell lingers for weeks if it hasn't rained for a while.

I think you'll just have to have a sniff around!  :-D

Guest pelmetman

Can't help as to where smell is coming from I'm afraid.

I always keep a small bowl of bicarbonate of soda in our fridge, it keeps it nice and sweet smelling. If you can't get hold of bicarb try putting slices of fresh lemon in.

Sue, Pelmetlady

Eddie their was a thread over on MHF a while ago about the same thing, really bad smell from the outside vents. Just had a look and it was the fridge had sooted up, it was a Thetford fridge. If this is the case not much you can do until you can get the fridge serviced.

My Dometic fridge/freezer needs a simple service routine from time to time - otherwise a very nasty niff will result.

I know you have had a look behind some grills but is there any other access grill or hatch you can check?

When I remove the external fridge ventilation grill using the turnbuckles there is a clear plastic container screwed to the fridge back-plate. This catches condensation water via a plastic tube and surprisingly quickly becomes contaminated by dead insects up to wasp size and stagnates. I remove the single screw, carefully lift out the container - it's very easy to catch it on a projecting bit of fridge and spill it down the back - wash and disinfect it and put it back as I found it. I was surprised to find that in very hot weather it may need attention every week to prevent it overflowing and soaking the fridge surround with smelly water.

Perhaps your problem has the same cause?

Bob

Guest JudgeMental

Solved

Removed the bottom grill again and had missed the stagnant disgusting water in the overflow thingy

We now have a sweet smelling fridge again

Hi Judge,

I too was worried over a pool of stagnant water standing behind the fridge so I drilled a hole in the bottom of the container and fitted a drain hose (6 mm dia) out through the gas drop vent below the fridge. The water now drains out under the M/H but if the new drain were ever to get blocked (or frozen) then the container is still there to function as was intended.

Something worth considering to prevent a recurrence?

Keith.

Archived