Trip to The Orkneys

Indie

We are off to the Orkneys next week in our motorhome and are not sure if we will need to take our car and trailer as well, or whether there is good local transport. Would be pleased to hear from anyone with suggestions and also tips on where to go and what to see.

Many thanks.

Orkney is a wonderful place to visit; I went some 20 years ago and cycled it. Not many trees or traffic. You should visit Skara Brae a Neolithic village, originally designed as a sunken below ground level community.

During a violent storm the sea moved tons of sand from the beach which filled all the living spaces, to be submerged perhaps forever. In more recent years another storm exposed the site again which has now been worked on to a position where everything has been cleaned of sand and debris and in fact looks quite liveable and comfortable.

It’s a protected site where visitors can walk around on normal ground level and look down through a glass covering right into their living quarters.

Look for the Italian Chapel built from two nissen huts by Italian POW’s during WWII. Read up on Scapa Flow and the sunken battleships, some of which can still be seen.

Stromness as far as I can remember was built for hand cart use only in connection with the fishing trade, very narrow is all I recall.

There are several smal islands joined by road bridges, great stuff. let us know what it was like, wish I was going.

art

You do not say which island you are going to or perhaps several. We went to Mainland two years ago but had our scooter which we used to get around. However roads on Mainland are good so you could get around using your van if need be. Mainland is joined to Sth Ronaldsay and Burray by causeways. We stayed at Kirkwell and Stromness, our favorite was Stromness. The campsite is pretty scruffy with poor facilities but fantastic situation right on the entrance to the harbour. Stromness is like a time warp but we loved it and it is a short walk to get the ferry over to Hoy. If you like walking go to Hoy and walk to the 'Old Man'. This is on the other side of the island but a taxi meets the ferry and it cost us £2 to cross the island. Cafe on ferry terminal, at Hoy, did crab sandwiches for £2.50 so great value. The islands, except Hoy, are pretty flat and featurless but coast has nice walking and is very scenic in places. Lots of things to see, tourist office in both Stromness and Kirkwell helpfull.

Archived