Leaking Calor Gas bottle

Knaus

Hi

Just a word of warning. Whilst in France, after using one bottle of gas, we swapped over to our second one, which when connected was leaking. Luckily noticed whilst sitting outside the 'van. It was leaking from the actual bottle connection not my regulator. We always weigh the new bottle to make sure it is full, but now we will have to check the connection. Two gas bottles are ample for our trips to France, but this time we had to have electricity on sites to keep the fridge going and to heat the water. Luckily we had an electric grill otherwise we would have gone hungry too!

We have written to Calor to complain. Will let you know if we get an answer.

When I was in Spain last year I had a Gaz 907 with a rusted through base, gas leaked slowly until the cylinder was empty, I didn't find out until I came to connect it.

By this time I was 400 miles away!

I might take it back this year!

Hallii

Had this on two propane bottles (at the same time) , The fault was on the manufacture of the Truma (secure motion) fittings where the unit screwed into the propane bottle.

Both pigtails replaced Free of charge.

Rgds

(Edit to add that up to now I have never checked the gas connection on a propane bottle to any great depth, from now on, its the brush and soapy water test whenever I put a new bottle on !)

tonyishuk - 2010-08-13 4:52 PM

Had this on two propane bottles (at the same time) , The fault was on the manufacture of the Truma (secure motion) fittings where the unit screwed into the propane bottle.

Both pigtails replaced Free of charge.

Rgds

(Edit to add that up to now I have never checked the gas connection on a propane bottle to any great depth, from now on, its the brush and soapy water test whenever I put a new bottle on !)

A few years ago my wife who has a supa sensitive nose said she could smell gas when she was in bed, as it happens her head was aove the gas locker when she was in bed,

I tested the gas bottles with soap and could not find any leaks, but supanose could still smell it, I went back to the locker and as I opened the door a small bubble burst on the olive of the regulator , this bubble appeared about every 5 minutes with the locker door almost closed.

I now have a small gas leak detector about the size of a large pen, and even though I now have Gaslow I test all gas connections on a reguler basis.

Terry *-)

Archived