Spin dryer

Ralph

Seen quite a few on my travels. My wife is tempted but as I have to carry all the hot water for the wash and remove all the waste water I said I would rather pay for a washer on site. Bur with some sites charging 7 Euro a wash it must be tempting.

They do work though

Richard

Bought one last winter as it seemed an ideal solution for my needs. They take up a lot of room and are quite heavy. The first one would not empty (pieces of foam were fpound in the pipes). This was replaced (no questions asked) but the second one completed soaked the carpet with soapy water (problem found underneath) so I asked for a complete refund which I received. I was very disappointed as like you it was the spinner that I really wanted.

Went to my local camping shop today and saw one "in the flesh"

They are a bit big aren't they? and weighs 10 Kg.

I think I agree that perhaps we'll stick to using the machines on sites when we visit instead.

Pity nobody seems to do just a portable spin dryer. . .

We've got one! Cracking bit of kit if you are someone that does long term tours like we do. We bought it last year and it's paid for itself already. We did a five month tour and the cost of using washing facilities on sites or laundrettes would have been easily more than the machine. It takes a double duvet cover as a single load and spins very well too.

I'm that good at it I can now do a main wash, two rinses and another main load with 25 litres of water!

I've added a photo, (hopefully!) of a wash day in Cabo de Gata last year,

It's an XPB20-05S. The rest of the name has rubbed off. It is made in China, (isn't everything?) It has a 2.0KG capacity for washing and spinning, 155Watt washing motormotor, and the spin motor is rated at 105 Watts.

Size wise it's just too wide and long to fit in what was the gas locker on my Cheyenne, but easily lies down under the bed area. Weight wise I would roughly guess at about 10Kg.

As I've said we've made it part of our long term tour kit and infact take it anywhere we will be away for more than 2 weeks.

I do get a few funny stares on some club sites and have been questioned by one site manager about using it on my pitch. I pointed out I was using less water than their machine in the laundry and pitch wise was using less electric han the other vans around with their light strings around their awnings and hot air heaters in their awnings. he was unhappy with me not putting money in their laundry facility but couldn't think of a reason why I couldn't use it. However, because the weather was wet we did have to use their tumble dryer so I think he was happy with that as a compromise.

Because it is reasonably low wattage rated we could use it with our inverter in an emergency but in reality we just wait until we get to a site once a week.

Abroad nobody on any site even batted an eyelid, in fact some people asked me where we'd got it from.

Yes, both the links look similar to the one I saw.

I could get it in the under-bed storage but it would take up a lot of room usually reserved for essentials (like beer) :-D

Might reconsider if we decide to do a long term UK tour but I think it might not be the best use of space for going south when (hopefully) it's warm enough to dry naturally. . .

flicka - 2010-08-17 10:11 PM

I'm reasonable sure this is the one Tomo has.

Specification

http://hemudu.en.made-in-china.com/product/joOJtBEYXncF/China-Washing-Machine-XPB20-05s-.html

I think this is the same

http://www.towsure.com/product/9620-Twin_Tub_Washing_Machine#largeimage

The second one is the one that I bought but would not recommend. However, at the side of your first link it showed a photo of just a spin dryer which looked interesting but I could not see a price.

The small generic Chinese twin tubs are fantastic bits of kit and at £60 or thereabouts are an absolute bargain. They will work off a 300w inverter, weigh 11kg, and when in use on site attract more attention than even the fluffiest, cutest dog.

Bought mainly for the spin dryer, the washing part of it is equally good giving an excellent wash. The spin dryer bit is superb.

Had ours a year, used extensively and still going strong. Highly recommended.

Ralph - 2010-08-17 5:37 PM

Went to my local camping shop today and saw one "in the flesh"

They are a bit big aren't they? and weighs 10 Kg.

I think I agree that perhaps we'll stick to using the machines on sites when we visit instead.

Pity nobody seems to do just a portable spin dryer. . .

I thought all spin dryers were portable,we have an ordinary domestic spin dryer in our van permanently, a bit of kit my wife would not be without, another good way to spin your smalls is with a Salad Spinner,works very well too.

vindiboy - 2010-08-27 10:20 AM

I thought all spin dryers were portable,

OK, yes. In theory anything that isn't bolted down is portable but I guess I was looking for "easily portable"

And again, yes, it depends on how much space you have available just what you consider to be portable. :-D

Tried the salad spinner idea once but I can wring as much out as that did. Oh for some sort of lightweight mangle. . .

We use one identical to the Towsure machine ( http://www.towsure.com/product/9620-Twin_Tub_Washing_Machine#largeimage%3C/div%3E ).

Does what it says on the box. If you have a elecy supply there is little problem, we just drop a kettle of hot water after the cold fill to get a reasonable washing temp.

Spin is OK, machine takes a double duvet cover (max !)

Plan B is using an Coolbox with some warm water, let it sloop about in the shower as we travel, rinse and dry when we stop.

Rgds

Archived