European Travel 2nd Dog Tag?

Madmaggott

It's occurred to me that whilst we are away from home, travelling in UK or Europe perhaps we should put a 2nd ID tag onto our dog's collar as our home details on her tag would be useless in the case of an accident where we were unable to give instructions about her care.  We thought maybe a 2nd tag could give contact details for a responsible person to be 'in loco parentis' whom we would trust to give/withhold any necessary consents for veterinary procedures.

My question is: has anyone else done this and if so, what wording have you used on the tag?

Can you see any problems with this idea?

Perhaps I should state that she will be travelling with us in the MH so this would only apply on the case of serious injury to my husband and myself.

we had both our dogs micro chipped and (although its over 10 years ago) I'm fairly sure that we gave our details and those of the In Laws as well when it was initially set up.

Not sure if the micro chip works out side the UK but what you suggest seems like a good idea. Can you maybe use a tag and one of those mini barrel tags with a small scroll of paper inside to hold relevant details say in the language of the countries you are visiting?

Our local Spanish vet told us a while ago that the type of microchip, and reader, that is used on mainland Europe is different to the type in the UK (certainly different to the ones he's seen in dogs from the UK) and thus the readers in mainland Europe can't read the UK chips.

In addition, the Euro records database is different from the UK database.

Anywhere in mainland Europe they can identify owner/address etc from the microchip and Euro-database, but apparently for some reason the UK hasn't joined this Euro system/database, and has continued to go their own way.....no change there then.

So, I think I'm right in saying (someone correct me if I'm wrong...I'm only repeating local vets advice here in Spain), don't rely on your dogs UK chip being readable...an extra collar tag, with your mobile phone number (inc inernational dialling code) seems a good idea if you are bringing your UK dog across to mainland Europe.

Patricia - 2010-08-17 9:28 PM

Bruce - French vets have always been able to read my dog's chip number but I guess you are saying that they cannot check the details?

Yes - as I understand it a "UK chip" number won't mean anything to anyone in mainland Europe as the European pet chip database won't recognise it; thus won't know to whom the pet belongs.

Next time I go to the French vet (probably in October) I will try to remember to ask him about the database.

On my dog I have my name, address, mobile number and also the English vet's number. He would be able to contact my family as we all use the same vet. As I never let her off the lead when abroad (French vets have all warned me that from a distance she looks like a fox and would be shot) it would only be in exceptional circumstances that this information would be needed. However, she could possibly slip her lead if anything more interesting takes her fancy i.e. a cat!!

Thanks everyone for the info.

I had suspected that the chip data would not be of use in Europe.

I have decided to carry on and get a 2nd tag (the barrel type sounds like a good suggestion).  I just hate the idea that in the case of an accident abroad my dog could be forced to join the many strays or even worse, be put down, just because there was no-one available on the phone no given on her main tag.

My dog is micro chipped and I always thought it would bring up details no matter where we were :-S so that is very interesting! he has a name tag as well on his collar (English Flag) with my mobile phone number on it, he has never wandered off very far, only to say hello to another dog or two! but it only takes once doesn't it.

Archived