Carver SB 1800

hallii

ips - 2010-08-16 11:58 AM

I doubt you could access it with a match. Piezzo igniter will be less than £20 and easy to fit.

Yes it is possible to light these without it sparking by removing the little mica window above the burner and using a gas lighter that has a controllable flame. Very tiny spanner/socket needed and the mica window is very brittle even when new. I have done this on a few occasions myself when cobwebs have shorted out the igniter.

The problem is still that you do not have the rod. This works the Piezzo BUT it also operates the flame failure cut off allowing gas to flow until it is hot enough to keep it open.

Try ebaY for parts. Carver are now part of Truma but they were phasing out the supply of parts for these older fires.

John

hallii - 2010-08-16 3:35 PM

Thanks both, I think I will repair it if I can get the bits, but short term I think I will get my 1/4" sockets out and light it via the window, I really want to see if it works OK.

hallii

You still need to depress the control knob down for about half a minute after getting the fire to light.

Be warned

1. that you probably will probably get a bang when you light the gas using the gas match.

2. You will then need to work on an increasingly hot area as you put the mica window back into place.

John

Archived