Auto-sleeper clubman type (low budget)

violet

Hi I posted a few weeks ago about looking for a van when on a low budget and got lots of helpful replies, thank you all.

I have been drawn to the Auto-sleeper Clubman type of vehicle which whilst a manageable size has all the facilities and space I would need but does anyone have a view on these particularly the older models maybe 1983-1986.

I know alot of you seemed to think I should stick to a panel van at the lower end of the market.

All views gratefully received, am enjoying doing the research at the moment.

violet

The Autosleeper Clubman (on a VW chassis) are probably one of the best 'Older' vans you can buy, but they do hold their value well,so might not be as cheap as you might hope.

All the 'Monocoque' bodied Autosleepers were built to last, with no seams to leak they are generally 'leak free' , some developed leaks around the windows but not that many, and it was easy to fix.

On my Talisman 2 of 1988 vintage the problem was the 'Talbot' cab being very prone to rust (which it did badly !!) I had to replace both front wings, Both cab doors, fit a new bonnet and new sill panels.(it's been Waxoyled now so it won't happen again in a hurry !) The engine is a 2 litre petrol and is a bit underpowered, but never misses a beat and always starts. So, I think they are 'ACE' as a first 'Budget' van.

Go for it ! Ray

I ran a 94 2.4 non turbo Clubman for 8 years and 65,000 miles. Only replacement parts were a set of injectors at 80,000. Less than a litre of oil used between services at 93,000 when sold.

Lovely soft ride. A tad slow but why worry its a leisure vehicle.

28 mpg cruising at 55-60 ph but 20 mpg at 70 mph.

Check lower edge of windscreen for rust as it is difficult to repair due to windscreen being bonded in.

Hi George

Do you know what year Autosleeper switched to the VW for the Clubman. (1992 ????)

I think they will be in excess of Violet's budget, if anything like good condition.

The only earlier Clubman models I could find, were Bedford CF petrol based, but from memory Bedford ceased CF's production in 1986.

Archived