Algae on my Van

HymerVan

Finally got down to thoroughly cleaning my 2006 Hymer Van 522 last weekend. There is a build up of green algae deposited in cracks and crevices especially along mastic seals. Didn't want to be agressive with brushing or using cleaners/solvents lest I dislodge seals. Any advice ?

White vinegar diluted with an equal amount of water.

Wear gloves, rub in with a cloth, leave for a few minutes and then wash off with plenty of water.

Job done.

White Vinegar --- It does what it says on the tin. :D

Also useful for another 101 things, google it.

Vinegar is no good for black streaks as far as I am aware.

I use Mr Muscle household cleaner. Spray it on, leave it for a few seconds, wipe off with a damp cloth then hose the area down with water. You probably do not need the hose but I do not trust any chemical solution that I do not understand. :-S

Guest Tracker

I use Flash liquid, or Lidl cheaper W7 version, in warm water and an old toothbrush to clean the algae out of joints and seals using enough force to get it off but not so much as to risk damage.

Cheap and effective it also works well on the roof area prior to a good polishing to restore the original shine.

To my knowledge nothing prevents the algae returning?

KeithR - 2010-08-17 8:52 PM

is vinegar any good for black streaks, mine wont go aey any more?????

Fenwicks black streak remover (see link from Jenian)

Actually it's just their motorhome cleaner diluted 10:1 and in a spray bottle so you might like to consider just buying that. It really works although my own van isn't a very good advert for it as I haven't cleaned it in ages :-S

Tracker - 2010-08-18 7:06 AM

Cheap and effective it also works well on the roof area prior to a good polishing to restore the original shine.

What polish do you use? Mine needs doing but I'm never sure which kind is best.

Hi Tracker,

I believe that white vinegar removes all algae and it is a long time before it returns. By scrubbing with other things, you get a better cosmetic look but the algae (spores, is it?) are still there.

They reckon if you keep your roof clean, you get less black streaks. I hope that is true because it is a pain to do. I will not be offended if anyone volunteers to come and clean mine on a regular basis. There is a cup of tea in it for you. :D

I spent hours yesterday trying to clean my van. Unfortunately I cannot get anywhere near the roof so it will all be in vain when it rains again. Oh to be 6' tall (instead of 5') and to have a roof ladder! Used Fenwicks as previously recemmended with a small nail brush to get in the cracks.

Should have added that there was lots of algae on mine (and still is on the roof!).

Hi Patricia, I clean and polish my van once every year with MER liquid polish, it removes algae and black streaks, no problem, and the van looks new throughout the year with just the occasional wash, again using Mer as a shampoo. It can be applied when the van is wet or dry and then dries to a white powder which is easily wiped off with a clean cloth leaving a shiny polished surface. I climb onto the van roof using a house ladder and clean the roof on my hands and knees which is not a good idea at my age, but it does the trick. Hope this helps, (lol) B-)

I concurr with others ... fenwicks.

Dont be a tight wad and use vinegar, thats for putting on your chips. Spend a couple of quid more and buy the right stuff for the job. Your van will be clean and it wont smell like a chippy ...... :-D

ips - 2010-08-19 10:07 AM

I concurr with others ... fenwicks.

Dont be a tight wad and use vinegar, thats for putting on your chips. Spend a couple of quid more and buy the right stuff for the job. Your van will be clean and it wont smell like a chippy ...... :-D

It is not about being a tight wad (although I can be canny when it comes to spending money :$ )

The vinegar trick means it is extremely quick and easy to do. Only took me a few minutes. That was early on this year and no sign of the 'Triffids' returning. :D

As they say, work smart means work easy.

Thank you for those tips bigal. I had heard that MER was good and in fact bought some of their polish for the front bumper. However, take care using the ladder - my late husband did that, it slipped and he hurt himself badly. I don't think I will try that at my age despite the fact that I used to rock climb in my youth!

KeithR - 2010-08-19 5:20 PM

normally use fenwicks but the black streaks seem to be building up a tolerance!! i think the flies have been in the gym, too *-)

Hi KeithR, Try MER, it works a treat, Black marks just rub off a dry van with a soft cloth once the polish has built up. MER is also available as a shampoo. See previous post! B-)

One small point does Mer have silicon in it, I have been told this makes fibre glass go soft over time. I stand to be corrected over this statement, it would be nice to know if it is correct or not. Yes I use it because of nice shine and easy to use.

PJay - 2010-08-24 1:20 PM

We used MER on our boat, and found that the sun turned in yellowy, so be carefull. The boat was white, and most MH are not quiet as white so maybe OK.

PJay

Hi PJay, are you sure it was the sun and not the salt water? I've been using MER for a long time now without problems. ;-) B-)

mel64 - 2010-08-22 6:39 PM

One small point does Mer have silicon in it, I have been told this makes fibre glass go soft over time. I stand to be corrected over this statement, it would be nice to know if it is correct or not. Yes I use it because of nice shine and easy to use.

I was told this years ago I contacted MER and was told it is quite OK for fibreglass and will not damage it in any way.

I should still have the email somewhere

Alf

Archived