Advice wanted on choosing a 4-berth with OC and U lounge

Sullivan

We are about to purchase our first motorhome. We are looking at second hand, as our budget is about £20,000 to £22,000. We will use it a lot and don't want to change it so it needs to be well built. Essentials are a 4 berth coachbuilt with an overcab bed and a u-shaped rear lounge. We would welcome any advice on the makes that are available and what people think of them.

Hi Sullivan

Tomo3090 - 2010-08-17 10:01 PM

Do you need the belted seats for 4 passengers too? If not a Compass Avantgarde 140 is a reasonable starter van to play with.

Also the Elddis Autoquest 140 is by the same manufacturer.

or the 200 - example:- http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/vehicle.cfm?Account=SHD1515015&Style=2&Id=AETV64116125&Make=2002%2052%20ELDDIS&Model=AUTOQUEST%20200&City=Nottingham

Note you may also come across other names (as Dealer specials) but the number remains constant

Some more info on other requirements will help.

Is your Licence resticted to 3500kg (?)

Do you have any length restriction (?)

You need 4 berths, but why only 2 belted seats. Passengers in a rear lounge are at put at high risk, whether seated facing forward or sideways.

Sullivan - 2010-08-17 9:56 PM

We are about to purchase our first motorhome. We are looking at second hand, as our budget is about £20,000 to £22,000. We will use it a lot and don't want to change it so it needs to be well built. Essentials are a 4 berth coachbuilt with an overcab bed and a u-shaped rear lounge. We would welcome any advice on the makes that are available and what people think of them.

Sundance 630L would tick those boxes

Peter

I have been very pleased with our Swift Sundance 630L. The good points, like the superbly fitted kitchen, are too numerous to mention. My only criticism is the comfort of the dinette seats for travelling. The back is too vertical and the base offers no side support. Having looked extensively at other models and makes, most are no better in this respect. Some of the German models, Dethleffs in particular, have an adjustable angle for the backrest. However they were a compromise in other areas for our requirements.

The rear U-shaped lounge is a winner but it does take up a lot of space. The compromise comes in the rather cramped shower space. Hope that helps.

As has been said a Compass/Elddis would be the one for you..an Elddis Autoquest 140 Suntor was our first van 4 berth overcab bed U-shaped lounge bags of room but the toilet/shower area lost out on that score we used the overcab bed area for extra storage we put the bedding there during the day and put other various bits of kit there too..The only drawback is the size of the fresh/waste water tanks at only 45litres however if you can live with that as we did no worries

We used said van for our tour of Costa Azahar/Costa Blanca in Spain in Jan-Apr 09 and we had plenty of room for the 2 of us for the 3 month tour I would heartily recommend one of these as a starter van!!

WOW!!! Thanks for all the really helpful advice and suggestions. Motorhome owners are evidently a great bunch of people.

There are only 2 of us but we are big (!) i.e. tall, and would like the space and separate beds in a 4 berth. Length is up to 21 feet and we would not want to go over Kg3500. What is the difference with a new shaped cab?

We have hired a couple of motorhomes so have some idea of what we would like but not sure of suitable makes available.

Hi Sullivan

Most of the Elddis current models 2007> are built on the Peugeot 3300kg chassis (maybe 1 or 2 smaller models on 3000kg)

Two links below to show the difference between the new /old model cabs

New base model Peugeot 2007>

Elddis - (searches may show “Dealer” specials i.e. Suntor, Sunstyle )

http://www.greentrees-adventurestore.co.uk/motorhomes/Elddis_Autoquest_145

Previous model 2002 > 2006

http://www.caravanfinder.co.uk/motorhome/Trade/BFEEB38054D483228025777E00529708/

Also have a look at the Elddis website for layouts, lenthts & technical spec.

http://www.elddis.co.uk/autoquest.html

Two posters have mentioned the Sundance 630L , but think this is over 21FT. We have the Sundance 590 Rs,(2006) which is not two seperate beds. You will probably find the Sundance 590RL would be better for your needs. We had a guy in our van this year who was 6ft 7 tall, and he remarked that he was suprised that he could stand upright in our van. We find ours ideal for us , as we go away for two to three months at a time .Get the pre 2007 model, old shape cab, no Fiat Judder!!

Good luck in your search

PJay

We have an ACE Napoli 08 (now discontinued) with OH which we use as our "fixed bed" and rear lounge which we love. Only 2 of us but find layout ideal and lack of rear seatbelts not an issue. Saw an 06 version at Malvern Show last week for not too far from your budget. Worth a look if you can find one around.

Would you like a separate dinette and keep the end lounge for lounging? Lowdhams sounded quite keen to get rid of this one but it may be too long for you http://www.lowdhams.com/used-motorhomes/details/properties/page-2/type-coachbuilt/berth-any/price-any%20price/branch-any%20branch/orderby-price/perpage-10/uniquecode-38020.3

This one might be nice, and in your price range with a bit of tough negotiating http://www.lowdhams.com/used-motorhomes/details/properties/page-2/type-coachbuilt/berth-any/price-any%20price/branch-any%20branch/orderby-price/perpage-10/uniquecode-38547.3

Whereabouts are you based? I'm also on the hunt for an end lounge but a six berth - I can give you a shout if I see anything useful if you're based oop north?

Ref old versus new shaped Fiat/Peugeot cabs, I notice you mention you're tall. The reason we originally went for our then new Avantgarde 140 rather than a (possibly higher spec'd) second hand model from another manufacturer was that I found that at 6ft tall I simply couldn't get comfortable in an old-shaped cab. It did vary according to the layout of the motorhome, but most rear lounge designs have the toilet compartment immediately behind the cab, which limits how far you can shunt the driver's seat back.

It may not be the same for you, but have a sit in the driver's seat of whatever model you go for : last thing you want is an uncomfortable driving position.

Paul

The thought that occurred to me overnight was that if you are both tall and were thinking that one would sleep in the overcab bed and one in the end lounge, that perhaps might rule out the Elddis/Compass vans and perhaps the Autotrails too. I'm not exactly tall and was in the overcab of a Compass yesterday - it felt pretty darned low for getting in and out, there's not much head room and there'd be no sitting up in bed with a morning mug of tea.

Agree with that if the OP's intent was to use the overcab as a bed. I've been up there a couple of times and it's not a place I'd like to sleep. However the lounge can convert to a large (7ft?) double or be used as two singles. I'm 6ft tall and Mrs R 5'11" and we manage. The singles are just (only just) long enough.

I'm curious how many people with overcab beds actually use them to sleep in, versus as a dumping ground for bedding during the day.

Thanks for all your information. I've checked out all the links and am interested to see the variety in design.

We found the OCs in both vans we hired were OK to sleep in (for one person!). A separate dinette would make the length over 21ft.

If I find a suitable 6 berth PicklePot, I will let you know. We are based near Northampton.

Hi

I have a Bessecar E425, 2005 model (Fiat base) and would heartily recommend this as fitting all your specified requirements - the level of finish is excellent and I would think you would find one within your price range.

There is a comfortable overcab bed, rear lounge which converts to a double bed (also very comfortable and convenient to leave up as a bed during day - I put a throw over it and it's lovely for watching t.v., etc.). This model comes with a substantial table, flyscreens, etc. all included and am delighted with it all round.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Sally :-)

Archived