Heat in the winter

fred22

Is there any benefit from putting a low wattage oil filled electric radiator in my van during the winter with doors and lockers open, or could this create condensation.

It seems to me that if I do this I must continue as to keep switching it on and off will cause the warm air to condense on the windows as it cools?

I try and take it for a good run every 3 or 4 weeks to keep the mechanical side turning, but wonder if this kind of treatment is sufficient for the habitation side of the van.?

Any condensation will occur whatever you do regarding opening internal doors, vehicles are designed to breath so any internal heat (as it rises) will always draw in moisture from outside in the lower areas, most will escape from the high areas.

I never put any heaters inside unless we are going away, then three days of activity, all doors and draws open including lids up, a heater on and a de-humidifier running, this will ensure the soft furnishing lose their moisture as well.

Even in September a vehicle interior can be damp if not used for a month so I do as above most times before setting off.

art

fred22 - 2010-08-18 1:51 PM Is there any benefit from putting a low wattage oil filled electric radiator in my van during the winter with doors and lockers open, or could this create condensation. It seems to me that if I do this I must continue as to keep switching it on and off will cause the warm air to condense on the windows as it cools? ......

Yes, there is.  If you heat the air inside your van in winter, it will have the effect of lowering its relative humidity.  This dries the air in your van, so there is no risk of condensation forming, but the warmer, drier, air will be able to draw out any surplus moisture absorbed by furnishings during earlier use, which will then migrate away from the van by natural ventilation.  Leaving cupboards etc open during periods of non-use is recommended by most manufacturers as it ensures this process works as effectively as possible.  In effect heating the van ensures it stays dry so that condensation is prevented.  Heating will also cushion the furnishings, particularly any timber components, from extreme temperature change which can cause problems with things sticking etc.  A greenhouse type heater is sufficient, it need do no more than slightly warm the air.

A dehumidifier achieves the same end by removing the moisture from the air in the van directly, without providing heat.  Obviously, the dehumidified van will tend to be cooler than a heated van overall, and will also be subjected to greater internal temperature change.  The moisture the dehumidifier removes will be transferred to a condense tray, which must be emptied periodically, or will have to be allowed to drain away outside the van.

Which will be most economical, will depend to some extent on the rate at which your van ventilates.  With higher ventilation rates both systems will suffer losses, but I tend toward the heater as simpler, not needing emptying or draining, and not trying to dehumidify the local neighbourhood as the air in the van is continually replaced with new air from outside.  It is, of course true that some heat will be lost in the same way, but much will be retained by the insulation of the van so, totally unscientifically, my guess is that, also allowing for the odd warm dry sunny day reducing demand on the heater, the humidifier has to work harder.  Conversely however, with a well sealed van, a humidifier would probably be the better bet.

IMO, either is worth doing for the relative small running cost they involve, though I think it fair to say neither is truly necessary, just desirable.

We started caravanning in 1977 and motorcaravanning in 2000, we have never used heaters when the 'van is stood at home unused, we have never felt the need.

If you stand your 'van in a damp place, or you are by the sea, then maybe it would be a good idea, otherwise it is not required. If the 'van is damp, then repair the leaks!

I am inclined to try a low output electric heater this coming winter. I got caught out last one, when little water in bathroom tap froze and broke the tap (£120 replacement ). Even though the van is under cover, the temps at top of Biggin Hill can get quite low !

Definitely in IMO. I have always used a thermostatically controlled electric radiator in all my vans and caravans throughout the winter months leaving all enclosed spaces open. I also use a Humidifier both in the Summer and winter as a belt and braces job. The van is always ready to travel at short notice and I run the van short distances up to forty miles or so to keep everything lubricated about once a month during periods of non-use. I have a small compressor 2.5 HP and check the tyre pressures, on my drive, before every long trip, and in any case, once a month. I was in motor engineering for many years and this practise has served me in good stead and proved its worth. Hope this is useful to you, Best Wishes, B-)

I have never had a problem with damp in any caravan, motorhome or indeed boat and have never used heating when stored. I have however allways used them through winter at least every other week definately never left anything longer than a month without use.

On that basis I think that the best advise for anyone with caravan, MH or boat is to USE it over winter and not just leave it sitting there like so many people do.

When we had boats people used to spend 4 or 5 days cleaning there in april ready for the season this was due to them being left for months unattended you can imagine the state the upholstery must have been in .... urgh. The term "more money than sence" springs to mind for anyone who allows there possesions to rot in this way.

In conclusion if you dont want damp ... use it.

If you dont want to use it....sell it.

Archived