generators

rapidoman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Generators to do what you want can cost as little as £80.00. But beware.

In many quarters the noise of even the most sedate generator can ruffle the feathers of lots of campers who come for peace and quiet and to escape from the noise of urban living.

Have you considered a decent sized solar panel on the roof of the van and a 12 volt adaptor to charge your Laptop? Quiet and more efficient and the cash you had expected to spend on a generator should buy you a good 80 watt panel.

C.

i am inclined to agree with the solar panel but have been quoted 600.00 plus for fitting 90 watt panel. unfortunately i dont have the time to fit one myself and dont fancy making holes in van either rather someone else does it so i know its done proper, this is why i thought a genny for occasoinal use would be a better option.

The Evopower looks like a Kippor generator and a 1000w will provide your needs. Solar power depends on sun and a bank of batteries.

With regards to running a generator, a bit of common sense is required. Generators are an abolute godsent to those who need power for medical needs to enjoy the same outdoors, a point overlooked by many

Guest Tracker

On the other hand just one more decent leisure battery fitted in any convenient locker and wired in parallel with the original with heavy duty cable to reduce voltage drop will probably cost around £100 - or maybe £200 if fitted and wired by an auto electrician and will considerably extend battery life?

It all depends how you use your van and how you manage your 12v power use but a laptop will work very happily with a 12v to laptop voltage adapter.

Perhaps you could locate the extra battery where you would expect to store the genny - and it's fuel can - and toolkit etc?

w1ntersun - 2010-08-18 4:45 PM Hi, I know its my personal taste but I hate the things. We go away for the peace and quiet and having a genny running kills it for me.

Agree completely - hate the blasted things droning on and on.

We recently had a tugger parked very close to us for a 3 day event.  Tugger owner decides to run his . . . so he could "charge my battery!!"  It was O.K. for him though because the genny was outside around the back with all his plumbing - right in our hearing line.

We asked him whether he'd like to put it in his awning so he could have the pleasure of hearing it but he declined on H&S grounds.  But never turned it off.

I guess the people who buy them are like people who own yappy dogs.  They go unconscious whenever the thing emits a noise.

I'm sorry to say this but if anyone needs 240 volts for a medical device then you should seek a hookup.

The trouble is, people who say 'live and let live' and 'it's a free country' are usually the ones who want to inflict their loud music, yappy dog or genny on the rest of us.  You never hear someone sat quietly reading a book say these things.

Sore point - oh yes.

Way 2 Go

Unfortunately you have had a bad experience, however there are always two sides to a story and in view of your comments there appears an inbuilt attitude problem and a selfish attitude ie"I'm sorry to say this but if anyone needs 240 volts for a medical device then you should seek a hookup."

By the way, no dog, no loud music but have sensible tolerance levels

sshortcircuit - 2010-08-19 8:35 AM . . . a selfish attitude

Not sure I understand.  Let me get this straight.  I'm selfish for wanting peace and quiet to read a book and listen to the countryside whist the guy running the genny is not selfish for inflicting his running engine on others because he has a sensible tolerent level?

If I managed to obtain a sensible tolerence level would it be OK for me to allow my yappy dog to bark everytime anything breathed near it?

"We asked him whether he'd like to put it in his awning so he could have the pleasure of hearing it but he declined on H&S grounds. But never turned it off."

I am afraid this does not appear to be a very diplomatic way of dealing with a problem which lead to my comment.

Unfortunately generators appear to create a lot of hot air and that is not what the OP should get.

sshortcircuit - 2010-08-19 11:07 AM

Unfortunately generators appear to create a lot of hot air and that is not what the OP should get.

Sorry, but that is usually the Exhaust causing the hot air, together with it's associated smell & noise, always directed at whoever is parked on the next pitch.

W2G is right. Generator users always ensure their own ameneties are not impinged almost always to the detriment of others.

Visit any outdoor Show & it's often difficult not to be plagued by them.

On way back from France stopped in a CC&C holiday site. It was interesting to note they had a guide as to when generators could be run and on discussion they did make allowances for those who have medical needs. I have also ran generator on CC&C site with permission from the warden as there were no hookups available and I had not been able to charge for 4 days prior.

On an aires in France I stumbled over a MH that had a small Kippor generator running that was hardly audible and position to make the least noise to others.

With sensible use there is a place for generators

As usual, when generators are discussed it degenerates (Pun) into the rights and wrongs of using a generator. The OP was asking about specific generators and ends up with most replies berating generators and all the reasons why he shouild not even be considering them. There is no indication where he intends to use one, he could be wild camping miles from anywhere and may also be responsible in its use.

All he wanted was comments on the ones he has mentioned.

As a (hopefully) considerate gennie owner I'll try to answer the OP's question by saying that the yellow Kippor 1kw model should be fine, and quiet, and not too expensive.

Having said that, while we often used the gennie on CL/CS sites when caravanning, we've only used it about three times in four years with the motorhome - and each time it's been to run Mrs M's hairdryer. Using the motorhome to drive about sight-seeing during the day keeps the lone hab battery with plenty of oomph to see us through the evening.

So, no need for expensive solar panels and a gennie is fine, so long as it's used with due discretion and regard for others.

Guest Tracker
rapidoman - 2010-08-19 12:55 PM

OK i am a considerate person and would never use a genny all yhe time, however it seems that the best way is solar have seen a 120w kit on midsummer energy site are they any good and is it such a problem to self fit (?)

I bought my 60w kit from them and they were helpful and supplied all the bits although I did already have suitable aluminium angle bar to use as mountings.

Fitting is not difficult but you do need to be able to seal all the holes and run the wires suitably out of sight like in a wardrobe or in trunking and it all takes time to do a good job.

Wiring up is straightforward but only if you know your way around 12v electrics!

Generators are not "quiet", they cannot be positioned in a position that will ensure that no noise or fumes pollution affects any neighbour that is within sight.

Like any irritating and anti-social activity the perpetrator (s) must be prepared to accept the condemnation of those so affected.

I left the C&C Club after 30 years because of irresponsible use of generators at certain D.A. Meets.

If I have the misfortune to be so disturbed these days I am quite prepared to leave the camp, at 3.00 am and on occasion I have forgotten to turn the alarm off, which unfortunately was just as I was passing the offending persons vehicle.

So, if you own and run a generator do not delude yourself into believing that no one can hear / smell it. We can, and we don't like it.

Now, to Rapidoman's question, there are much better options, a couple of solar panels and two 80 / 100 ah batteries will provide enough power for several days of stationary camping.

Of course you can't run a microwave, hairdrier, deepfat fryer, electric hob, air conditioning or a host of other high wattage items, but with that set up I can run a 15" TV satellite receiver, DVD, laptop, all the lights (LED) and pumps etc.

You have to spend a few bob to start with but it's well worth it, just to avoid upsetting me!

8-)

Hallii

HI,

I have never read such pompous rubbish in all my life. I will seek you all out and pull out my 10kw generator, mount it directly in front of your van and turn it on full blast. Now as this is a free country I would be quite within my rights so to do, but as I am a kind and considerate person I usually call round , let you know at what time I intend to switch it on and for how long. I bet you don't come round to tell me you are putting your BBque on and the being down wind I have to put up with the smell of your rancid fat wafting down on me or the noise as friends get progressively drunk into the early hours. It must be so good to be able to know that you will go to heaven. Finally if you have something against generators don't go into the alps or anywhere else that have Aires and skiing as some of these Germans are big blokes >:-) everyone has one on.

You sanctimonious to.....s get up my nose. Join the Armish they have horsedrawn carriages so don't eject exhaust fumes as you do. Don't use up a lot of carbon based materials. as you do in your vans and don't rub people up the wrong way and are basically polite. which you are not!!!!!!

ned

ned - 2010-08-19 5:49 PM

HI,

I have never read such pompous rubbish in all my life. I will seek you all out and pull out my 10kw generator, mount it directly in front of your van and turn it on full blast. Now as this is a free country I would be quite within my rights so to do, but as I am a kind and considerate person I usually call round , let you know at what time I intend to switch it on and for how long. I bet you don't come round to tell me you are putting your BBque on and the being down wind I have to put up with the smell of your rancid fat wafting down on me or the noise as friends get progressively drunk into the early hours. It must be so good to be able to know that you will go to heaven. Finally if you have something against generators don't go into the alps or anywhere else that have Aires and skiing as some of these Germans are big blokes >:-) everyone has one on.

You sanctimonious to.....s get up my nose. Join the Armish they have horsedrawn carriages so don't eject exhaust fumes as you do. Don't use up a lot of carbon based materials. as you do in your vans and don't rub people up the wrong way and are basically polite. which you are not!!!!!!

ned

Have a nice day (lol)

Is there not a basic rule of thumb: first add battery capacity, then add solar panel?  Unless you already have in the vicinity of 200Ah capacity, it would be wise to attend to this first, then add a solar panel if you find you still run the batteries low (below about 60% of their capacity).  You may need further advice on battery type and choice, because if your existing battery is one year or more old you will probably need to replace it, as well as adding one more - or just replace it with one of substantially greater capacity (though a 200ish Ah battery will be very heavy!).  If you use a hook-up from time to time, and drive reasonable distances once you move, you may find this alone solves all your problems.  If not, seek a bit more advice on panel types and capacities and, I think possibly even more importantly, suitable controllers.

That will all be blissfully silent.  And yes, I too am a generator hater, and am unsympathetic to the self-serving arguments advanced in their support. 

It's Just like passive smoking really, the smoker enjoys the cigarette at the expense of the non-smoker.  Why should the non-smoker be expected to leave the room to gain smoke free air?

So with generators: a sensible attitude, IMO, is that any noise a person imposes on others, for his own sole benefit, is the act of selfishness, not the resultant complaint.

On this subject I think it would be a great idea at all shows to have an area where all the ones with generators may stay. They already have many other areas so one more would please all us who dislike generators and like some peace and quiet.

Sooty

Brian

Unless your MH is electrically powered or pulled by a horse then it fits exactly what you deplore "So with generators: a sensible attitude, IMO, is that any noise a person imposes on others, for his own sole benefit, is the act of selfishness, not the resultant complaint."

Archived