Info please on living in a motorhome

lumpymeg

Hello,

My husband and I are considering selling up and living in a motorhome for a few years and touring around, I know there are lots of people who do this but how do you get over - address etc on driving licence with DVLA if you do not have a permanent address, postal address, taxing your vehicle - anything really that would technically require a permanent address. Can anyone advise. Thanks

Many thanks for your reply, we have had a few caravans and motorhomes over the years, however mainly used for weekends and holidays - I agree it would be a challenge but you never know it may happen - not sure at this stage - big decision.

We full timed for a couple of years and sold the van earlier this year to fund a move to Tenerife..we experienceed no great probs address wise.. I spoke to my sister and asked if we could use her home address for my correspondence..licence..tax the van..and all my mail etc..A few years previously I had used my late mothers address as my main UK address from when I was a serving soldier as changing addresses on my licence when we moved (On average every two years) was getting tedious and I was actually informed by a member of the Met constabulary that a military barracks does not count as a permanent address!!

I've made enquiries about using a family address as a base and most of the people I've spoke to..DVLA..Inland Revenue..Electoral Register..Bank .. all have said it would present no problems..and so far it hasn't..my sister votes by proxy for me as my late mother did and also opens any of my Important Mail however with online banking it's no great bother

It worked quite well for us we've been together for nearly 10 years.. but known each other for close on 30 and the close proximity didn't really bother us..obviously if you have an argument it all has to be resolved right rapid like or one of you is in the over cab bed!!

lumpymeg - 2010-08-18 9:20 PM

Hello,

My husband and I are considering selling up and living in a motorhome for a few years and touring around, I know there are lots of people who do this but how do you get over - address etc on driving licence with DVLA if you do not have a permanent address, postal address, taxing your vehicle - anything really that would technically require a permanent address. Can anyone advise. Thanks

One really mundane problem you will have is laundry, imagine a string of wet days and a load of wet washing hanging about, you will need launderettes or facilities of a camp site, laundry can be quite an expensive item.we carry a small washing machine and a spin dryer in our van and cope very well with that, but it still has to be done.

You did not say where you intend to tour around, home or abroad ? Obviously there are a lot of things to consider as others have mentioned and it is a good idea to read all of the links as no two people are the same. However, an important issue is the budget and you will need to decide whether you are going to stay on sites, wildcamp etc. Just as a pointer, if you were considering overwintering in sunnier climes, visit the websites of campsites who will provide details of costs for long terming e.g. La Manga in Southern Spain offers very good deals for long termers which vary from 1 month to 6 months. For 120 nights it worked out at just £8 per night including electricity and access of course to all of the on site facilities, Supermarket, Launderette, Pools (indoor in winter).

As well as all of the useful information and advice you will get from forum members also just type into Google, Yahoo or other search engine "Full Timing in a Motorhome" and you will get a lot of returns.

Archived