Camp sites in Wales

exboater

We are planning to go to Wales for the first 3 weeks in September, can anyone reccomend some good quiet sites, main camps, cl's or even wild camping preferably close to the coast, we are in the Caravan Club and Caravan and Camping Club and are going dizzy trying to sort through the site books!!! We want to move around and have a good look at the scenery. So if we could call on your experiences we would be most grateful.Thank you

If you scoll back a bit you'll see a similar question about S Wales with a few ideas

Mwnt near Cardiagn is nice but basic

Cae Ddu near Tywyn gets good reviews

I like Southgate at Aberysywyth

lots more

Reviews on ukcampsitefinder are pretty good

exboater - 2010-08-19 6:54 PM

We are planning to go to Wales for the first 3 weeks in September, can anyone reccomend some good quiet sites, main camps, cl's or even wild camping preferably close to the coast, we are in the Caravan Club and Caravan and Camping Club and are going dizzy trying to sort through the site books!!! We want to move around and have a good look at the scenery. So if we could call on your experiences we would be most grateful.Thank you

A lot depends on where you want to go, what you want to do, what you want to see and the weather.

Perhaps you can decide where you wish to go then look at the books to see what sites are in those areas and then try them! If you don't feel confident of doing that, once you have identified the places you wish to visit let us know and you may get some ideas from other folk.

Remember though that other people's ideas of what may be suitable (for them) may not be appropriate for you.

Enjoy your holiday.

Pembrey Caravan Club. On the coast ajoining Pembrey Country Park. Horse riding, very big pitch & put, more like a mini golf course, ski slope, swimming. Flat roads for miles so good if you have bicycles. Close to Burry Port, lots of boats. Pembrey motor racing more or less next door. Close to Carmarthen, good shops. Park in the park and ride next to the Carmarthen cattle market, which is next to the County show ground. Steam railway not too far away. Fish & chip shop half a mile.

exboater - 2010-08-20 4:22 PM

Ta for reply Mel, my purpose was to get some sound opinions of good sites then we could decide where to go

I cannot help greatly regarding sites as we choose places/areas we wish to visit for particular reasons then find convenient/appropriate sites.

However, I can recommend Hendre Mynach site at Barmouth as being a good site (although shower block is not heated) in a good position close to a pleasant sea side town with some excellent walking opportunities. The trains which pass the site are not very frequent and they do stop running at a reasonable time in the evening. Although there are recent new owners l think they still give a discount for CC and CCC members out of high season if you show your card.

You could also try contacting Kiln Park at Tenby to see if you can take advantage of the Haven offer in connection with CC Great Days Out. (Check out the CC website info first so you know the arrangements.) It is a large park with a separate touring section. The facilities were rather 'tired' when we were there 2 years ago but the site is in a lovely area. It is possible to walk into Tenby which we think is a lovely town.

We also have stayed on one of the CC sites on Anglesey. - usual excellent facilities. We have also used CS and CL sites on the island and near Criccieth.

As I said before it depends what YOU wish to do, whether your priority is the site or the area and whay your definition is of a "good site".

We've used the CC sites at Chirk and Caernarfon, (sp?). The Castle is a doddle to photograph. The town when we visited was just awful, with apologies to any locals. It just seemed to be dying on it's feet, a real pound shop mentality pervaded. As I say, when we visited. I hope it's improved.

The Chirk site, nothing remarkable there other than Mr Telfords, ( I think, or Mr Brunels) engineering feat, which is well worth a walk to see.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2010-08-22 8:50 PM

We've used the CC sites at Chirk and Caernarfon, (sp?). The Castle is a doddle to photograph. The town when we visited was just awful, with apologies to any locals. It just seemed to be dying on it's feet, a real pound shop mentality pervaded. As I say, when we visited. I hope it's improved.

The Chirk site, nothing remarkable there other than Mr Telfords, ( I think, or Mr Brunels) engineering feat, which is well worth a walk to see.

Martyn

Cycled past it today...you did not mention the chocolate smell !

robkilby - 2010-08-22 9:08 PM

LordThornber - 2010-08-22 8:50 PM

Martyn

Cycled past it today...you did not mention the chocolate smell !

Hi Rob, can't remember a choc smell at all, probably had a pint on my mind... :D

Martyn

Archived