maplin suitcase satellite system

naittaw

Hi,

We have been using a suitcase satellite system for the last 3 years and once you get the hang of setting it up they work perfectly and allow you the freedom within bounds to site the dish clear of obstacles like trees etc.

The box we purchased has various devices for mounting in our case we generally favour the rubber suction device and stick on the roof of the MH and access the positioning through the large Heki roof light, we have used the other mounting devices that come in the box and do carry a tripod which we have connected the dish to also.

The size of the dish will limit your reception but we have successfully used it all over Great Britain and in northern France.

Aldi were doing a similar kit for under £50 recently don't know if they are still available.

We do use the dish and LNB with an old Sky box but that requires a 240 supply, where the free to air boxes that come with most of the suitcase units are 12 volt, and they work very well albeit they do pick up literally hundreds and hundreds of channels which can sometimes be quiet daunting.

Thanks Neil and Braunston. Braunston, am I right in thinking that when you use your old Sky box you cannote receive the premilum Sport or Movies channels, or have you found a way of using your Sky card on 2 different boxes - home and away ?

We have a 12v box which we use when in the van.

We rang sky and told them we needed the card pairing with the box we use in "our holiday home" and they did it over the phone with the 12v connected to home tv ..it only took about 5 mins.

Now we just take card aay and have all the channels we receive at home. B-)

Had one of these systems for over 4 years. Yes the can be fiddly to set up but once you get the knack it is easy. I was down in La Rochelle this year and had no problems. I have used the sucker mount on the roof and I use a tripod which was originally from a Lidi lazer spirit level

Also had one of these and it drove me mad until an expert on this forum showed me how to do it at Newbury. Then it works well.

Currently the decoder box is in the lounge of our new house coupled to an old Sky dish the previous owners left behind. It also works well.

Obtained a second decoder box so the "kit" is once again complete(ish). New van came with an Autosat system already fitted.

C.

C.

We have the Lidl version of the suitcase system and are getting good reception in the Vendee at the moment. We can get all the usual programs except for the local Cumbria news, we only get the S/E versions. Apart from the connections to the screw plugs needing regular re-newing the system was well worth £70.

Thanks to all. Dont fancy climbing through the Heki for a suction fit. Depends how your Heki is positioned I suppose. Suspect a tripod is our answer. I must try again to get Sky to link my card to 2 boxes. Up to now they have resisted. I wonder if it depends which call centre or which "adviser" you get through to.

Hi naittaw,

I have the basic Sky setup at home and another Sky digibox in the van (240V). I take the viewing card away and it works as normal in both digiboxes. I believe this does not apply if you have extras like the Sports or Movie channels.

If anyone is looking for a cheap satellite kit, check the Screwfix website. They recently had a 12 volt system on offer at about £75. It seemed better quality than the Lidl/Aldi ones. They sold like hot cakes but will probably come round again. There was also a home system for about £70.

Hi,

We don't subscribe to Sky other than their Free to Air card that cost around £20 and lasts i beleive 3 or 5 years could be wrong, but it serves our purpose,

I don't know if anyone has tried using a FreeSat box, and whether it will work in France/Spain, as that would be another source of Free UK TV

Archived