How long should you wait for a quote?

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

I have emailed two companies requesting a quote for work, so far I have chased one by phone and got a reply that they would respond by the end of the week, that was nearly 2 weeks ago, the other has not responded at all.

Is this usual? I run my own business and I reply straight away or next day at the latest.

Maybe this industry has more work than the rest of us, so can get away with such lax customer relations (?)

Can anyone recommend a buisness that can carry out work on 20 year old campers to a good standard (?)

Guest pelmetman

Thanks Don,

No I have not approached them, but may well if my inbox and phone remains silent with regard to the 2 company's I have tried *-)

Call me old fashioned............................ No scrub that, I have already said that before (on another thread), but good manners should at least dictate a reply that they have received my communication and will respond in due course >:-(

I know at least one of the company's have received my email as I chased them by phone *-)

Guest pelmetman

Nothing major, just a list of jobs that I have been meaning to get sorted for a while, including another job added last trip out....................as some muppet reversed of the leveling blocks with the rear steadies down :$

Fortunatly nothing that keeps us of the road B-)

I will give them another week, then start looking else where *-)

Guest JudgeMental

Initially I think a phone call is always best *-)

followed up with pictures of damage and details via email

Also hardly anyone will want to quote without looking at the van first

Hi

Its a very difficult situation to judge, it could be that the companies are so good at the physical/mechanical side of their business that they are over whelmed with work but are not very computer/office admin proficient, and if that is the case it may well be in your interest to persevere, on the other hand Brian could have a very good point.

Are any of them near enough to actually drive to with the vehicle, as Judgemental said they will want to see the vehicle at sometime, so you may get a better response if you take it to them direct so they can actually see the problems you want sorted rather than wait for a remote response.

Guest pelmetman
Dave Newell - 2010-08-22 6:41 PM

I don't know what kind of work you require but if you e mail me the list I'll look it over and try to give you a rough estimate or tell you if the work is not popular enough to get a response. dave(NOSPAM)@davenewell.co.uk

remove the obvious from the email addy.

D.

Hi Dave, have sent you a copy of the email...................to NOSPAM along with copies of some of the recommended male medication and offers of enlargement that people seem to think I need (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

PS I have sent the proper email as well so let me know if you don;t receive it B-)

Hi Judge, I did offer to send pictures but they said, not needed so I guess my email explanation was enough :-S

Guest pelmetman
Just a add on to this thread, I have run my own business for 20+ years, all my family have their own business's and for more than 4 generations, so I have a good background in how to operate a business, and communication is the most basic thing to get right. "Just answer the ruddy phone or answer a email" its not rocket science >:-(

Last year the van needed a small repair doing to the bodywork. I rang my supplying dealer Todds at Lostock Hall who in turn recommended a guy with premises at the rear of Todds.

I gave the guy, (Steve) a ring, he said pop over when it suits. Over I went, price and times to do the work agreed. 3 days later, work done to an exceptionally high standard, (IMHO).

If anyone needs a bodywork repair up here in the frozen North, I can wholeheartedly recommend the service he dished up. Please don't ask me for his number though, (I lost it when my mobile had a seizure) ring Todds and they'll sort you out.

In edit, I should add this was repair to the van side, grp or whatever it's made of.

Martyn

• 1 month later...
Guest pelmetman

Just thought I would update this thread :-D

I think if you are prepared to criticise firms for a poor response then you should also offer praise for an excellent job :D

So I would like to say many thanks to Dave & Jackie Newel for curing my saggy bottom (lol) and of course all the other work he carried out within the day B-) Excellent service..............for a reasonable cost........... :-> Ta very much :-D

Incidentally still not heard from the other firms *-)

Guest Tracker
Dave Newell - 2010-10-07 6:51 AM

Not quite sure what Tracker's link is about, Jonathan doesn't run a workshop, he writes about motorcaravanning.

D.

My apologies - I must have misunderstood what a friend told me?

pelmetman - 2010-08-22 7:45 PM Just a add on to this thread, I have run my own business for 20+ years, all my family have their own business's and for more than 4 generations, so I have a good background in how to operate a business, and communication is the most basic thing to get right. "Just answer the ruddy phone or answer a email" its not rocket science >:-(

Couldnt agree more, been in business for 25yrs and this kind of thing really gets me. As you say, its not difficult to make a quick call or email to keep the client informed.

Tracker - 2010-10-07 10:15 AM

Dave Newell - 2010-10-07 6:51 AM

Not quite sure what Tracker's link is about, Jonathan doesn't run a workshop, he writes about motorcaravanning.

D.

My apologies - I must have misunderstood what a friend told me?

No problem Rich although I didn't quite get the relevance of your post either bearing in mind Dave has now had his work carried out.

D.

Archived