Flat engine batteries

ken nugent

I have noticed a few threads with reference to base vehicle, i.e. engine batteries not holding their charge I had a similar problem even with a new battery, although my original problem was caused by a one year old dodgy battery but after fitting the new one I kept a constant check every couple of days with a multi metre and after just over a week there was a significant drop so I did some other checks and found something was drawing 5 amps constantly but nothing was switch on. My vehicle being a continental does not have an alarm system so it wasnt that. Pinning out the fuses one by one I found it to be the CD/radio which was switched off,

so I pulled the fuse on it, recharged the battery, since that the battery holds it own for more than a month. So why this is so I dont know but not having much interest in Cd's or radios I just leave the fuse out by the way the base vehicle is 2003 Fiat ducato 2.3. Could this be your problem.

I too had a mystery drain on my batteries which had me baffled until I went into the van after dark.

We always leave the freezer compartment and the fridge door slightly open when not in use. If I forget to switch the fridge to the 'off' position and leave it on the 12 volt, the fridge interior light is on 24/7. It cannot be noticed in daylight, only after dark.

You could maybe fit one of those high-amperage big red removeable key Isolator switches onto/near the positive battery terminal.

Obviously don't switch this off if you need to have your vehicle alarm "armed", but if you haven't got an alarm and the MH is gonna be laid up for a while, it's maybe a useful vehicle immobilisor, as well as preventing battery drain.

(Course you do have to remember to pop the bonnet and re-insert and turn the red key to turn the "juice" back on before you can restart the MH engine).

All radios/CD players use power even when switched off to keep the memory in the pre-set station buttons and clock (if it has one). If you remove the fuse you will have to re-set all the stations each time you use it. If you have an alarm/immobiliser this too drains the battery, so I use one of the small solar panels (2.4watt) to keep the battery topped up. Never have a problem now.

Most radios have at least 2 positive feeds - 1 to keep the memory going ((measured in milliamps)) and the other (usually switched on with the ignition to power the radio when in use).

With modern radios having bluetooth and USB ports etc they behave like a mini computer and drain a lot of power if both positives are permanently live. A lot of 'van owners splice the power and memory positives together so they can use the radio when the engine is not running.

I have just fitted an all singing and dancing radio and wired the power live via an illuminated switch to the permanent live. This is to remind me to turn the power off to the radio when I am not using it.

Archived