Sat Nav..Which one?

Nigel

I am looking to replace my 4 year old Tom Tom Go 910. I have been told by the tech guy in halfords today that the best value for money model for what i want is the Garmin nuvi 1390T. Anybody got any comments on this one please. Thanks Nigel. :-D

If you don't get any forum feedback, then there are plenty of reviews on-line that may help you decide. (GOOGLE on "Garmin Nuvi 1390T".) Here's one that provides a fair amount of detail, though I suggest you read in full the 4th comment near the bottom of the screen!!!

http://www.trustedreviews.com/car-tech/review/2009/12/21/Garmin-nuvi-1390T-Sat-Nav/p1

There are a number of Sat Navs that cater for larger vehicles - you can input motorhome details so that you are routed more accurately. The best is probably Tomtom but it is very expensive and is aimed at commercial vehicles. The system is called Tomtom Truck. I believe that the software is available so in theory could be loaded onto your 910 if it is still operating. You would need to check this out before proceeding.

There are options to select type of vehicle including car.

Well worth considering.

Bryan

Nigel - 2010-08-21 10:08 PM

I am looking to replace my 4 year old Tom Tom Go 910. I have been told by the tech guy in halfords today that the best value for money model for what i want is the Garmin nuvi 1390T. Anybody got any comments on this one please. Thanks Nigel. :-D

Is 4 years the life expectancy of a TT? I bought mine two years ago and expected it to last a lot longer than four years. What wears out?

Roy Fuller

Porky - 2010-08-23 11:25 AM

Nigel - 2010-08-21 10:08 PM

Is 4 years the life expectancy of a TT? I bought mine two years ago and expected it to last a lot longer than four years. What wears out?

Roy Fuller

Bought our TomTom 3 years ago, nothing wrong with it, updated the maps last Christmas and thinking of replacing the battery as it doesn't hold its charge as when new but a new battery from Battery Mill is less than £15 I think. Just need the charge to be ok when cycling.

Hi Nigel, I also asked this question through the forum a little while ago as my 3 year old Navman maps could not be updated. My main criteria was that I could enter GPS co ordinates. I had decided that Tom Tom would be my choice and I understood from forum responses that they could be programmed by using GPS coordinates.

Having bought the XL IQ Routes2 Europe which I think is a great machine I couldn't find out how to enter map coordinates and sought advice from Tom Tom who replied today that neither the Start devices or the XL IQ routes2 can be programmed by this method. All other models can.

Whatever model you pick just double check that it does all that you want it to.

Stewart

Stewart Hendry - 2010-08-23 4:11 PM

Hi Nigel, I also asked this question through the forum a little while ago as my 3 year old Navman maps could not be updated. My main criteria was that I could enter GPS co ordinates. I had decided that Tom Tom would be my choice and I understood from forum responses that they could be programmed by using GPS coordinates.

Having bought the XL IQ Routes2 Europe which I think is a great machine I couldn't find out how to enter map coordinates and sought advice from Tom Tom who replied today that neither the Start devices or the XL IQ routes2 can be programmed by this method. All other models can.

Whatever model you pick just double check that it does all that you want it to.

Stewart

Ours is the TomTom One XL Europe and we are able to put GPS co-ordinates in. Never had a problem with ours except when I misspelled the name of a town near Irun, went up a very steep road that would only take one vehicle fortunately we were able to turn round half way up, as you can imagine the air in the van was decidedly blue.

Archived