great sites 4 motorhomers

gilltaylor

I want to compile a short guide to great sites for motorhomers who prefer to leave their van on site (most of the time at least). So suggestions of sites with good walking direct from site, local transport, pubs and shops close by all welcome. I can't find anything similar for keen motorhomers like us who like ot park up and relax for a few days. Any suggestions ofr people's favourites sites?

Hi,

When we were restricted to staying in U.K. we found this very difficult as majority of sites are in middle of no where, or those that are handy for town centres are booked up months in advance (try getting a space on CC site in York). Hence why we spend most of our available time in France now, where the aires network allows us to do what you suggest; that is park-up and walk into the village/town centre. So in answer to your request if you want French aires included then happy to contribute some more of our favourities. If just sites and mainly U.K. then good luck.

Guest pelmetman

We've come across some good sites, all of them are Caravan Club Sites:-

Dulverton

Totness

Morton in Marsh

Warwick

Hawes

Incleboro Fields (but avoid pitch number 93)

Losehill, Castleton

Regards Sue

I would recommend the following Caravan Club sites

1 Ferry Meadows..Peterboro

2 Moreton in the Marsh

3 Warwick Racecourse

Non CC Sites

1 Barnstones Caravan Site...Banbury

2 Wytton Lakes...Huntingdon..(Adults Only Site)

I've used all the above sites and found them all great places to stay

Thanks so much to everyone who has made suggestions so far. Yes I think including sites in France and the rest of Europe is a great idea. As to my motivation, I've been a subscriber to MMM for years and a member of the camping and caravanning club- however, ever year we've been moaning about sites that are reviewed and look great but when you get there you're very isolated without a car. So what makes a great site for a caravanner is diffrent from a motorhomer. Reading another letter in this month's MMM from someone with a similar moan just prompted me to think about pulling together good suggestions. I had a really full on job with long hours until a couple of months ago and never had time to do anything like this so having the opportunity I just thought I'd devote a bit of time to this.

Now I reckon this is a good idea, heres a couple of suggestions

Cornish Farm, Taunton. Bus into town or longish walk.

Carnon Downs Caravan Park, Nr Truro. Carnon Inn (Table Table restaurant within 5 mins walk. Spar shop etc in vallage 10 mins walk. Bus stop nearby for Truro Approx 3 mls or Falmouth approx 7 miles.

I agree Cirencester Park is good and a nice walk into town.

And the obvious one that I am sure everyone knows, Baltic Wharf, Bristol

I would also like to see if possible a very brief comment about access roads for motorhomes and any particular difficulties.

Good luck, a nice useful project I think.

All Caravan Club sites:

Brora

Melrose

Leyburn

The new Barnard Castle site

Loosehill

Chatsworth

Hawes

Fakenham Racecourse

Thirsk Racecourse

Market Rasen Racecourse

Altnahara is everything these aren't being 20 miles from anywhere but is still something everyone should do, at least once, before they die!! If you're lucky, the RAF will visit you at 0 feet down the length of Loch before rising vertically, at it's end, on full after burner - stunning!! 8-)

FD

York Rowntree obviously but what about Manor Farm just up the road.

Brookdale Farm Shrewsbury. 1 mile flat into town and shops nearby.

If your flush with money Oxon Park in Shrewsbury is next to P&R and shops.

C&CC Moffatt. Easy walk into town.

Southport CC. Near P&R and easy walk into centre.

Riverside at Betws y Coed.

Cheltenham Racecourse

Filey Brigg. Council run.

Sauchope Links CP near Crail.

Craigie Gardens CC.

There's a CL by Pickering steam railway station.

Hope your going to visit them all and write up reviews for us all. Always looking for this sort of site. I have stayed at all of these and they are all good for access to facilities, shopping, visitor attractions etc

Peter.

Yes agree its good to able to park and get around using local transport .

Camping and Caravan site Delamere Forrest ,Railway station 200 hundred yards up road ,Easy way to Liverpool ,Chester

Caravan Club Tewkesbury easy walk into town .

""""""""""""" Winchester Morn hill bus stop 100 hundred yards down road

""""""""""""" Brighton Sheepcote Valley ,bus services near site

Camping and Caravan site Delamere Forrest ,Railway station 200 hundred yards up road ,Easy way to Liverpool ,Chester

Hi, just to add a couple of places

C&CC Canterbury, bus stop directly outside campsite, golf course with restaurant directly opposite campsite, walk to Spar type shop 10 Min's, walk into town 15/20 Min's, suggest bus back as there is a steep hill to climb on the way back, nice site normally plenty of room, non members welcome, hard standings and grass pitches, well worth a visit so is the City itself loads of history.

There is an alternative Aire type stop over on the Dover Road P&R which is quiet good the over day/night fee covers the bus into town I think its around £3 but not sure, there is a beefeater type pub on the P&R which is very handy, and if you can't get on there as it closes the barrier 1 hour after the bus timetable finishes, you can always try the coach park in the city itself clearly marked on the ring road.

C&CC Chichester, nice little site pub close to entrance, bus stop opposite into Portsmouth one way Chichester the other and most stops along the coast right down into Brighton if you have quiet a few hours to spend on buses, but a great ride if the weather not up to much, nice showers and toilets some hard standings, well worth a visit.

Mrs ips's c&cc cs is motorhome friendly. "Two oaks" Currently has 2 gravel hardstandings and three grass pitches set on lawned 1 acre in rural lancashire just 1 mile off the M6 jct 27.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/campsite-finder/results.asp

PS - this is not blatant advertising as the site belongs to mrs ips not me, and the link is to this forums sitefinder. Just in case anyone spits there dummy out. :-D

Super CL at Garstang, 10 min walk into village, lovely canal walking, easy cycling, village with shops, pubs, cheap and/or pricey eating depending on what you want. Mr & Mrs D Pearson 01995 606704 check the CC book.

Good idea this, but what about some useless sites thrown in too?

An example of a lousy motorhomers site would for us be the Blackpool CC site. Even using the bus to wherever is a bind, no nice walks, caravan man heaven though.

Ferry meadows CC Peterborough, great cycling and walking, but what a trek into the town.

Martyn

Archived