great sites 4 motorhomers

gilltaylor

Not strictly a site more like a aire, you can stay overnight and there are toilets there. Chester Roudee Car Park right on the river bank and you can park at the side of the river when the cars have gone after 6pm, its just a five minute walk into the centre of Chester.

Bath Marina

We have stayed here a few times, nice walk along the canal into Bath punctuated about halfway with a stop at the canalside pub called The Dolphin, or just a short walk to the park and ride from the site gate.

http://www.dolphininn.org.uk/

http://i39.tinypic.com/2lk4thy.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/kd0nr4.jpg

Their web site here

http://www.bwml.co.uk/marina/3/bath+marina+and+caravan+park/facilities/#caravan_park

Regards Pat

Harford Bridge just a mile from Tavistock. Yes, you have to walk down the side of the busy A386 but there is a verge for the first bit, then a footpath for the rest.

And there's always the bus-stop just outside the site if you're a bit squeamish. :-|

Have to say Totnes CC (Steamer Quay) is the business, right next to town and 100 yards from the quay, where you can do a 'round robin' - bus to Paignton (and Torquay as well, I think), old train down to Kingswear, ferry to Dartmouth, boat back to Totnes. The boat has a very nice bar, and it's only a short stagger back to the site. :$

No leccy for your hair straighteners, though. :D

Thanks again everyone for suggestions. Keep them coming. Any additional info about the sites much appreciated. The pictures are great too. I've also put a letter in MMM so hopefully that should also bring in some more replies.

I also want to mention a great CL site immediately outside Ripon ( can't remember the name but there is only one), about 10-15 mins walk into the centre of the twon, plenty to do there, and great walks directly from the site to Fountains Abbey and the royal Studley park. We went there on the next field to a rally but the CL looked good.

Thanks again everyone for suggestions. Keep them coming. Any additional info about the sites much appreciated. The pictures are great too. I've also put a letter in MMM so hopefully that should also bring in some more replies.

I also want to mention a great CL site immediately outside Ripon ( can't remember the name but there is only one), about 10-15 mins walk into the centre of the twon, plenty to do there, and great walks directly from the site to Fountains Abbey and the royal Studley park. We went there on the next field to a rally but the CL looked good.

Hartsholme Country Park Caravan Site

Skellingthorpe Road

Lincoln

LN6 0EY

The main entrance to Hartsholme Country Park is on the B1378 (Skellingthorpe Road). It is signposted from the A46 (Lincoln Bypass) and from the B1003 (Tritton Road).

A regular bus service (numbers 29, SB2, SB6 and 66a) runs from the City Centre. The nearest bus stop is 200 metres from the main entrance.

In a Country Park with large lake

Castle & Cathederal are approx 3 miles

Opening Times

main season runs from 1st March to 31st October

Also open for weekend breaks throughout the month of November. Friday to Monday.

Lincoln's Christmas Market in December.

This period is very popular so please enquire early! We are already taking bookings for 2010 for Lincoln's Christmas Market in December. This period is very popular so please enquire early!

Bainland Country Park

Horncastle Road

Woodhall Spa

Lincolnshire

LN10 6UX

Tel: 01526 352903

Fax: 01526 353730

E-mail: bainland@bainland.co.uk

http://www.bainland.co.uk/Touring.aspx

Approx 1 mile (on pavement) to village centre) & Woodland walks

Good restaurant & licenced bar on-site, Pool can be busy in school holiday period.

See "What's nearby" on their website.

"Our largest Super Pitches are capable of hosting the largest of RV/motor homes and are amongst the largest pitches to be found anywhere in the UK."

Walks

Horncastle - Viking Way - Woodhall Spa

http://www.walkingworld.com/results/walksummary.asp?method=thirdpartyid&wlkno=2032

Woodhall Spa local walks

http://www.woodhallspa.org/leisure_localwalks.html

Edit - Also for other Caravan sites in the village, see :-http://www.woodhallspa.org/accommodation_campingetc.html

Aha! Just thought of 2 more!

Devizes C & CC, right next to the Kennet and Avon Canal. OK it's 3 miles into the lovely town of Devizes, but it's a level stroll, and you pass the 26 locks on the flight. It takes 5 hours to take a narrowboat up them, and about 20 minutes to walk it! :D

Also the CC site at Chirk, apart from the stunning walking and nice little village, the BR station is 400 yards away. This will take you straight into the heart of Chester in 20 minutes.

Great thread Gill, put me down for a copy of your book. (lol)

Don't discount the THS sites of the CCC either, we spent time at the Beehive field Bradford on Avon, bus stop outside the site to Bath, Trowbridge etc, the THS at Burton Bradstock Dorset Bus outside to Exeter, Weymouth Poole etc, the THS at Weymouth Nottington Lane bus outside to Weymouth, Bournemouth ,Dorchester, the THS sites are great ,lots more we have used and not mentioned.

To widen this thread out a little here are some aires near city/town centres:

Charleville-Meziers (Dept 08). Next to camping municipal, free overnight, charge services and hook-up. Nice situation and easy walk to lovely square (Place Ducal)

Port Carro (Dept 13) Right on sea front. 6Euros/24 hours. Bus to Martigues (stop just down road) or Train to Ma**eille (long walk uphill to station, but can take bus to here).

Angouleme (Dept 16) Aire is listed under St-Yriex-Sous-Charente and is in a nice country park with bus into Angouleme centre. Parking anf services free.

Sarlat-La-Caneda (Dept 24) Aire not in worlds best setting but easy walk into lovely Sarlet. 5 Euros/night, services 2 Euros.

Uzes (Dept 31) Right in town centre on wine growers land (Domaine Viticole de St Firmin). Land a bit rough but no charge, Also a France Passion site.

Will add to later.

CC and C&CC sites (located next to each other) near Great Malvern. Bus stops outside site enrances.

Blair Drummond CC Site (Sterling Scotland) - Lovely site, good cycling and buses to Sterling and Callander just 15min walk

Dunnet Bay CC Site (Scotland) - absolutely magnificent site with direct access to 2 mile wide sandy beach. Pub serving good meals just short stroll away, bus will stop outside site entrance to take you to John O'Groats, Thurso, Wick.

Nairn C&CC site - Bus stop 5 mins from site entrance to Nairn or Inverness (and beyond). Good cycling to Nairn along quiet roads and to many other out of the way places.

Perth C&CC site - Perth Racecourse literally outside site gates, good walk along River, 1 hour walk in to Perth for the energetic or 20 minute walk to Bus Stop.

Edinburgh CC site - A real gem. Private mini-bus operator colects from reception and delivers centre of Edinburgh. Runs both ways every 30 mins. Alternative is local bus but about 20 minute walk. Fantastic wide promenade opposite site stretches for about 3 miles, good for walking or cycling.

Wharfedale CC site. Fantastic walks from site. Bus stop about 15 minute walk (Skipton)

I have so many more that we use. Our Motorhome is too large to take into most towns or down narrow roads so once on site we walk, cycle or use public transport, never had a problem getting to anywhere we wanted to go. Not enough time today to list them all.

Just come across a Site finder page that looks interesting:-

http://www.pitchup.com/

Search has option "What are you looking for " & select from Walking, Cycling, National Parks + others.

When clicking on "Location" for your site, it shows a map with Pubs & Walks nearby + GPS & Tom Tom

Also shows nearby alternative sites.

All the above with distance from selected site.

Thanks Flicka for the post about the site finder website. It's useful but when I looked at a selection they didn't have quite the detail I was hoping for in terms of what I'm trying to pull together for this guide specifically aimed at motorhomers. So many thanks for the suggestion but I think I will keep this thread going for longer yet!

Gill

gilltaylor - 2010-08-29 8:06 PM

Thanks Flicka for the post about the site finder website. It's useful but when I looked at a selection they didn't have quite the detail I was hoping for in terms of what I'm trying to pull together for this guide specifically aimed at motorhomers. So many thanks for the suggestion but I think I will keep this thread going for longer yet!

Gill

Gill you have never said exactly what you are looking for. Like many others I know a lot of sites in UK and europe that would match what you seem to want. However have refrained from posting because it is all to vague. If you are going to produce a book surely you must have a list of the details you need for a site listing or, at least, where details of the site can be found. Can you please say exactly what you are looking for.

Thanks Rupert and sorry if I'm not clear enough. To be honest I didn't know when I started this thread if anyone would be interested so wanted ot test the water first. But a lot of other people seem to want the same thing from a site as we do.

What I'm looking for is:

name and location of the site (details great but I could also check via the books and websites)

availability of any public transport from near the site and to where ( and some sense of the regularity of the service)

places towalk from the site ( could be scenic walks direct from the site, and could be proximity of other towns/villages (eg half an hour walk along pleasant tarmacked canal bank into York)

proximity ot pubs/shops

I hope this is helpful

Gill

Gill, I wish you all the luck in the world with this project, it was something I considered getting into when we discovered motorhoming but like a lot of things, it got put to one side.

My own view on any such publication is favourable, however my only negative is drawn from some of the descriptions attached to some of the sites by previous posters.

Of course we all view sites/walks/pubs differently and so where is the common ground, the middle line, call it what you like. It's not easy to find.

This is no criticism of individual posters, if it was I'd attach their names, but a couple of examples are:-

CC at Grassington, yes wonderful walks nearby, but nothing else nearby apart from an ambitiously priced pub. A walk into Grassington gets you more but it's a 20-30 min walk with a lung busting section on it to boot. I know it well.

My own CL recommendation, there is a builders yard adjacent to the CL, some folk would be horrified to read of that, but in reality it's of little consequence, it's not noisy, it's shielded by shrubbery.

I'm hope you take my point as intended, no criticism, just food for thought.

Martyn

I like this idea, to be able to walk a short distance to town or village is nice as you say many sites are out of town, and to be honest I find the bus is quite expensive.

You might like to include stopovers for the ferries, Dover and Marine Parade comes to mind as it is a short walk in to town through an underpass.

If you do progress further please let me know the out come.

Caroline

Gill, Has White House Campsite in Builth Wells / Llanfair-ym-Muallt been mentioned? Next to the river, a very short walk into the town or the nearby National showground (antiques fairs, agricultural shows etc).

Also have you pulled together a list so far? Would love a copy.

Archived