The Map. Flat folding or spiral bound

art338

I've noticed many suggest the spiral type.

I've found them to pretty hopeless unless very delicately used. Once the spiral gets flattened or distorted they're impossible.

A map is a working tool. The fold over type can be sat-on, trodden on, thrown around or hidden under piles of junk, it never fails to supply the user with the best directions.

art

Guest pelmetman

Blimey!...........I thought I was the only ludite that still used maps (lol)

I tend to buy new ones quite often now, as they are very cheap, because sat navs are so popular! and with 3 vehicles I can not be bothered to swap them over B-)

So I do not mind if they are ring bound or otherwise (lol)

When they were expensive I used to draw on the new roads myself (lol) But I was trained as a navigators yeoman in the navy so map correction was part of the job (lol)

Did I mention I was tight (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

We always use maps, both spiral and folding.

I think the folding are marginally better - they both disintegrate in a year or so with use but the spirals lose the info along the 'centre fold' too quickly.

For France we have gradually built up a set of large scale Michelin maps which we prefer to use when appropriate.

We probably spend about £5 a year on maps on average.

different uses

1 spiral and plasticised - in vehicle

2 flat OS style on site

3 flat Michelin type for route planning

and just idle browsing - for the fun of it

:D

:$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$

it's that extra glass of red wot does it :$

that, and sticky broadband *-)

I have to use the spiral type as it is more like a book. This is because I write in information as I go. Wildcamping spots, Pubs, scenic views, Pubs, roads to avoid in future, Pubs, etc.

While the wife is watching soaps, I bring my new road atlas up to date. An old one looks like something put together by Wainwright. :D

There may be a solution to Maps that fall apart.

A friend of mine has just purchased 2 foldable maps of France, one for me, from Amazon France. Note when he tried to open a French account the computer told him to use his UK account.

They are 1cm = 10km ( 1/1 000 000) and are covered with a plastic film that protects the map and lets you write on them (obviously not permanent marker) and then rub the markings off. A No No on ordinary maps.

Details:-

www.blayfoldex.com 6.50 Euro

Title: France, carte routiere & Touristic 2010

Contains: Radar fixes - Nouvelle numerotation officielle des routes - Plan de contournment de 10 grandes villes - Index des communes.

Warnings: Plastifiee, Ecrivez - Effacez * Ecrivez avec un feutre effacable.

Absolutely brilliant map they even show non toll M-ways that the Wife can understand. ( Stand -by for stick and loss of Gem status if my beloved reads this)

Mike

Plastic spiral bound in the 'van. I use TomTom but always do a 'reality check' of Jane's route. :-S

Around the house (if I HAVE to be at home), I have a map in every room, (every kind,flat, kinky, spiral, edible), including loos and conservatory. Any spare minute I have is taken up with finding a spot in the UK I haven't been to, and then making plans to put that right!!

:D :D :D I LOVE MAPS :D :D :D

Archived