Elgol, Isle of Skye

armstrongpiper

Fancy a visit to Elgol to see the awe-inspiring views. Does anyone know if it is permissible to overnight at the car park at the end of the road, or is there a camp site nearby, or even suitable places to 'wild' camp? Have been looking at 'Street View' pictures of this and many other places in the Highlands. Almost good enough to save the miles of travel, but I know there's no substitute for the midges!!

Neil B

Neil,

We were up on the Isle of Skye about five weeks ago. Found a nice place to wild camp off the A855 about 3 miles South of Culnacnock 6.14515 West 57.52507 North. It's marked as an Aire de Parking on my list of Aires. I know it's not the end of the island that you want but it's cheaper than a camp site!! Not as though that's difficult on Skye.

A different thing where I am now, about 100Km South of Clermont Ferrand.

About 3 years ago the access laws in Scotland changed to allow wild camping for up to 2 nights with only a few restrictions. I believe that this law also includes caravans and motorhomes, you can check this for yourself on the Scottish Government web site and see if you agree with my interpretation of the law. So you should be able to lawfully park on a road side providing that you do not restrict access for land owners or other road users and don't use passing places as some Europeans seem to do.

My understanding, and please remember that I have no legal training, is that motorhomes and caravans are treated the same as tents. Therefore if it is legal under the new right of access laws then you can park your motorhome in the same places you would pitch your tent. The main restriction will be how far you are prepared to drive your van off the road, in my case not very far, remember also that you are restricted to two nights in any one place.

Mr. Grumpy - 2010-08-26 6:31 PM

My understanding, and please remember that I have no legal training, is that motorhomes and caravans are treated the same as tents. Therefore if it is legal under the new right of access laws then you can park your motorhome in the same places you would pitch your tent. The main restriction will be how far you are prepared to drive your van off the road, in my case not very far, remember also that you are restricted to two nights in any one place.

As I read it motor vehicles of any kind are not included in the right of access

It specifically bans motorised transport apart from a registered disabled vehicle ( ie not the person )

Alf

Archived