Scotland

Poppy

Went there for 2 weeks this summer.Would we do it again?Well the jury is still out.This is very much a personal point of view, I know others will not necessarily agree.We like to use camp sites which we did.Mostly they were pretty good but one or two of the private ones need to do a little more TLC where their shower and toilet blocks are concerned.Personally I don't think its unreasonable to expect them to be clean, you would expect the cheapest BB to provide clean, if basic facilities.Prices go up a lot in the high season which is when we travelled.The clubs were uniformly excellent in that respect.One 5 star Best of British shower and toilet blocks were quite overstretched, shall we say, at times and I don't think the infrastructure was there to allow the toilets to be flushed properly.

Weather was cool but dry most of the time.Stunning scenery on East Coast and even better on west.Single roads with frequennt well marked passing places very easy to use.

Visited Orkney and would highly recommend a visit to the Italian chapel.A touching tribute to humanity at its best.

Very rude and unpleasant pub, The mariners Arms in Dingwall not a tribute to humanity at its best.It boasts a warm and friendly welcome.Not our experience anyway.

Inn at Kinlochewe magnificent.Well recommend.

Found the East coast and Orkney not very dog friendly.We had to eat in a lot.

Did not find the clubs very family friendly.This isn't a personal gripe as such, we don't have children travelling with us any more but I noticed that the club sites we stayed on gave no facilities for children although it charged for them.No little playing area, or anything at all.

On balance find holidaying on the continent a more relaxed and fun thing.As I said, our personal experiences.

As you say,horses for courses. We went late May to early July this year and the weather was gorgeous, mainly on the West coast, Ardnurmurchan, Mull and then 4 lazy weeks at Bunree CC site just soaking up the sun and the scenery. We purposely go 'out of school holidays' to avoid the 'Little darlings' we did all that, and like a bit of peace and quiet now. I agree that commercial sites are never quite up to the same standard as the C Club, especially if you have to 'use the facilities',

even some very expensive ones fall down on that score.

I look on them( the C Club) a bit as i (used) to look at the 'Little Chef' restaurants ,you know exactly what you are going to get, no matter where you are. And that can be a bit comforting if you are disabled and in the Highlands of Scotland. just another opinion. Ray

We had a mediocre 2 weeks in Germany and Luxembourg. The first week at Schleiden in the NaturPark Eifel. Lovely campsite, almost deserted, pleasant owners and good facilities. The scenery was lovely but as my wife said no better than the Forest of Bowland and the Lake District back home. (She is biased as she comes from Lancashire).

For the second week we moved 50Km south to Prum. What a disaster. We had pre-booked the campsite. On arrival it was absolutely packed. The owner told where our reserved space was located. I could not find it so he came out the office to show us. We were directed between 2 caravan, the area being so small there was not enough room to wind out the awning. Most people had washing hanging out making the place look like a shanty town. Lots of kids charging around on bikes unsupervised while the parents sat drinking. The site was mainly habited by Dutch. I’ve always liked the Dutch but this was changing my opinion.

We moved out next morning, the owner was sympathetic and had no problem with us cancelling the booking. It could have been a lovely site if he was not so greedy and had properly marked out pitches.

We decided to find a stellplatz for the night. Hillesheim looked pleasant in the book so off we headed. The stellplatz is the market square of a lovely old town. Unfortunately the local car club had taken over the squire for a motor rally. Lots of ancient Opel Kadetts etc. in full rally trim rushing all over the place. The official stellplatz parking area was taken up with 2 Bitburger beer trailers. A party was obviously planned for the evening.

No worries the guide listed another stellplatz 2 miles away on a farm. Booked in, a lovely place parked beside the barn. That was until the farmer ran his generator from 8 -11 o’clock. Noisy beggar but I guess he had his work to do.

Moved back to the market square next night and had a lovely evening stroll around the old town and walls, super meal and 100metres back to the van.

Decided to move to Luxembourg and booked in at a pleasant but busy site at Esch-Sur-Sure. A very picturesque village but little else to do in the area. Nice walks in the woods but again the wife mentioned the Lake District was just as good.

Back to Rotterdam to catch the overnight ferry. We stopped a small town before the reaching the ferry terminal had a lovely meal in a local restaurant, returned to the van to find out we had been locked in the car park. Turns out carpark was owned by the supermarket and was locked after closing time. Could you have understood the sign in Dutch?

There was a phone number to contact, pay a Euro50 fine and you would be let out. The waiter from the restaurant came to our help. He said everyone in the village disliked the owner of the supermarket and there was a back way out through the yard of the house behind. He contacted the owners of the house who were pleased to open their back gate and allow us to drive through their yard. Just made it with mirrors folded and a bit of back and forwarding manoeuvring. My liking ot the Dutch was restored.

Now 5 minutes until the ferry terminal closed and over 5miles to cover. We made it but the speedo showed speeds I’d never have thought possible in a 4 tonne motorhome.

My wife is talking about Scotland next year! Cheaper, less driving and lovely scenery.

The big picture is that Scotland is a beautiful place and the further north and west you go it cant get any better. Wherever you go camp sites will not live up to your expectations and its a case of moving on. My MH has all the facilities I need so my expectations are met ever time.

Spent 8 weeks in France this year and really enjoyed it in Normandy and Brittany all the way down to La Rochelle. Although sights were all worthwhile they do not compare with the north west of Scotland.

My only major gripe is the totally irresponsible French dog owners who let there little precious defecate anywhere and have no intention of cleaning up behind them. Before you dog owners jump on and say that is the irresponsible few the converse is the case. Of the 100s of dogs and owners I saw, only two were prepared with the bags. Sorry to digress but at least in UK we try to make it pet friendly to all.

Up this weekend to Golspie and that again is a superb part of Scotland.

Two weeks for east coast, orkney, and west coast, you've hardly scratched the surface!

Having worked for a while in scotland and having many holidays there I would not diferentialate the people from any other area, some good some bad.

The campsites can vary like anywhere else, I've stayed at all modcon sites I'd not bother going back to, and others that only had a tap but I'd go back for the wonderfull views.

The main drawbacks seem to be unpredictable weather, but that seems to have applied to half of europe this year, and the dreaded midges, but then I've been bitten by worse in britany!

Will I be going back? you bet yer!

Living in the rural Highlands of Scotland, we have the benefit of being able to go out in the van when the weather is at its best and the midges, hopefully at their least, as long as we are not working 8-)

This is another case of each to their own. Some people love Scotland, as we do, others love the Costas, as we don't, and most fall somewhere in between. Scotland - particularly the West coast and the islands - is magical when the weather is right. However, if there was no rain in Scotland, and no midges, we would be overrun, like the Med. and the scenery would not be the same without rain, mist, wind etc. Of course we do sympathise to those fo you who come to the Highlands and see nothing but cloud, rain and midges......................... but then no-one comes, or should come, here for wall to wall sunshine. If it happens - you are the lucky ones :D :D

Just returned from a month in Scotland (Sterling, Dunnet Bay, Nairn, Perth and Edinburgh). No children but OH is a teacher so can only travel at most expensive Peak periods. This is the third time we have toured Scotland in last 5 years. This time around the only problem encountered with the wee small midgees was at Nairn. Weather was changeable but only had 1 day when we were confined to Barracks, did lots of walking, cycling and visiting local towns. Prefer the middle and West Coast for scenery but Scotland is a magical place other than the Fuel Stations which were charging £1.26 a litre of diesel. Mind you it was a different story in Edinburgh where we filled up at a Morrisons Supermarket fuel station £1.13 per litre !!

We would normally go to Europe for our 4 week sumer tours but having just purchased the new van we decided a) to economise and b) try the van out in UK first as if there had been any problems we would have been more comfortable getting them sorted here. However, van performed wonderfully, mechanically as well as all of the internal workings so next year it's back to Europe where although sunshine can not be guaranteed, it is probably a much better bet than UK.

As for Scotland, we found the people we met were great, very helpful and welcoming. We used CC or C&CC sites and they met the usuall high standards. The one thing we observed was that bus drivers were very freindly, willing to take time to advise on cheapest tickets to suit our needs for a particular journey. They also told us where to get off the bus and where to go to get the return bus (not always obvious and not always the same location) unlike their English counterparts who, in the main, do not appear to realise that they are in a public service occupation.

Would we cross the border again ? Certainly but perhaps not in Summer when one would expect a little more sunshine. Apart from Edinburgh, which we always love to visit, I prefer the West Coast and there are just so many places still to explore.

Scotland takes some beating for awesome scenery and if you like remote wilderness it just has to be the NW coast for me right up to Durness. Some of the minor B roads are well worth a trip down too.

As for quality of sites at least with a motorhome/camper you can always move on. I've experienced some pretty oddball sites both in the UK and Europe.

Some years ago when camping we stopped on a campsite in Norfolk with immaculate grounds which looked more like a bowling green. Then we discovered the toilets. Oh brother! Old style Elsan chemical things in a tumble down wood shack.

Another I stopped on last year in Poland (thankfully only one night) had a disgustingly filthy shower block.

One in Austria....an excellent site badly let down by a hopelessly inadequate shower and toilet block with just two showers, couple of sinks and two toilets for a site capable of taking around 60+ mh's/campers etc. Oddly it had a top notch Restaurant open until late at night serving excellent food.

Finding THE perfect site wherever you go isn't so easy, and when you do it can often be quite expensive.

We have just returned to the Highlands after nearly three weeks in England as far south as Somerset moving through Worcestershire, Lincolnshire, Yorkshire,Northumbria and Cumbria. We experienced the worst weather I have ever encountered, travelled on roads which can only be described as disgraceful and stayed on Commercial and Club sites where residents obviously cannot flush toilets, pick up tissue paper or mop out showers.

I am not suggesting that these issues do not exist up here but please do not suggest that Scotland in some way is inferior.

The original poster mentions Orkney but fails to mention that the Pickaquoy site in Kirkwall is one of the best you will find certainly in the UK. I can point to many first class sites in this area, Clachtoll, Ullapool, Poolewe, Dingwall to mention just a few. I for one will take a lot of persuasion to travel south of the border next year.

p0930 - 2010-08-29 11:46 AM

We have just returned to the Highlands after nearly three weeks in England as far south as Somerset moving through Worcestershire, Lincolnshire, Yorkshire,Northumbria and Cumbria. We experienced the worst weather I have ever encountered, travelled on roads which can only be described as disgraceful and stayed on Commercial and Club sites where residents obviously cannot flush toilets, pick up tissue paper or mop out showers.

I am not suggesting that these issues do not exist up here but please do not suggest that Scotland in some way is inferior.

I don't think anyone was Charlie.

It's not an England vs. Scotland thing at all. You will get good and bad experiences almost anywhere you go in any country including roads! And if you think road surfaces are bad in England......have a go in Poland!

Like you I hate dirty toilet/shower blocks but when it comes to a well kept clean floor that is the responsibility of the site owner and not the residents. Trouble is many are so greedy raking in the seasons money they are too mean to employ a young local who is undoubtedly desparate for work.....even on a minimum wage rate.

p0930 - 2010-08-29 11:46 AM

The original poster mentions Orkney but fails to mention that the Pickaquoy site in Kirkwall is one of the best you will find certainly in the UK. I can point to many first class sites in this area, Clachtoll, Ullapool, Poolewe, Dingwall to mention just a few. I for one will take a lot of persuasion to travel south of the border next year.

Well Charles I love Scotland and my wife and I keep returning but your post is a bit weird. So you had some bad weather well tough luck it happens, as for roads well the ones in Scotland you must admit are pretty bad, I do not mean the width but the general state of the road surface. If you think the Orkney site at Pickaquoy is one of the best you lead a very sheltered life, same at Ullapool if you mean the one on the edge of village. Do not know which club sites you stayed on but certainly not the CC who's sites both in Scotland and England are some of the best around.

No sheltered life here my friend. My point was merely to point out that the same issues exist South of the Border and can I just point out that the header for this thread is " Scotland" I feel the balance has to be struck. I agree that CC sites are of a very high standard but that is what we pay extra for is it not.

In relation to the sites I mentioned you will go a very long way to match the facilities in Orkney but perhaps the new block was not there when you visited.

This is not a competion nor a criticism of anyone or any site just a balanced view.

Each to their own.We have had some lovely holidays in Scotland and stayed at some fabulous sites.This one was, for some reason, just a bit disapointing.We have just returned from Melrose in the borders of Scotland.Now that is an area that is one of Scotlands best kept secrets.

oldlowie - 2010-08-29 11:13 PM

Rayjsj - 2010-08-26 12:15 PM

Ardnurmurchan, Mull and then 4 lazy weeks at Bunree CC site just soaking up the sun and the scenery. Ray

Don't the CC have a 21 night limit?

you are right, it was 21 nights, but midweek to midweek so felt like a full week (if that makes sense ??) it was lovely anyway, The suntanned feet and legs still remind me how good it was. Ray ;-)

Ardnurmurchan, Mull and then 4 lazy weeks at Bunree CC site just soaking up the sun and the scenery. Ray

Don't the CC have a 21 night limit?

you are right, it was 21 nights, but midweek to midweek so felt like a full week (if that makes sense ??) it was lovely anyway, The suntanned feet and legs still remind me how good it was. Ray ;-)

Glad you enjoyed it. :-D Just jealous we can't do it (just yet) >:-)

Archived