advice please france/spain/portugal + MH storage near Faro Airport

hedges

ANY advice appreciated re beginners travelling France/Spain/Portugal for winter. We woud like to stay at Aires where possible and also need help finding somewhere to park our MH when we fly back to UK for Xmas near Faro Airport.

Hi

We were in Spain & Portugal for the first time last year. We did not stay at it but there is a campsite at Albuferia which is about 30 mins drive from Faro airport. I think it is C & CC recommended . If this is of interest come back and I will see if I can find the name / location

Randonneur - 2010-08-30 7:44 AM

Please check with your insurance company re leaving your motorhome and flying back to the UK. A number of these companies have said that if you leave your vehicle unattended for any length of time they will terminate your insurance.Dont take the chance.

I agree with this. We did this trip (well we didn't go to Portugal as intended as if you remember last winter the weather was foul) and before we went I tried to get insurance that would allow us to return to the UK for Christmas. No one would do it. So if you do find an insurance company who will please let us all know.

Roy Fuller

Hi

Re the insurance question. We are with Saga who assure me that you can fly back to the Uk for a few days with no problem provided that you have made adequate arrangements for your van. I.e Put it on a site rather than left it at the side of the road.

Bojitoes

I found out by sheer chance that my insurers at the time, Caravan Guard, did not insure my m/home when I slept in the house in Framce. However, Saga cover this but did not cover the m/home a few years ago when my husband had a stroke and we had to return to the UK. They paid for someone to fly out and drive the van back so I would advise you to get their assurances in writing, not just the say-so of the tele person.

I would recommend that you visit the website of Vicarious Books (www.vicarious.co.uk) as they sell lots of useful publications including 'All the Aires France' and a similar publication for Spain & Portugal. I would also suggest that you get yourself an ACSI card as many sites offer good out of season discounts for holders of ACSI cards. Would also suggest that you purchase the ACSI DVD which you can download to your laptop (if you have one). The DVD shows all the ACSI campsites throughout Europe on a map as well as relevant information including GPS Co-ordinates.

Archived