Garmin Sat Nav recall

flicka

News from PocketGPSWorld Newsletter for Garmin Sat Nav Owners

Garmin have issued a world-wide recall of 1.25 million Nuvi GPS units citing a potential issue with the batteries overheating.

Reports suggest there have been 10 cases to date of units overheating as a result of this fault.

Models affected include the 200W, 250W, 260W and 7xx devices.

Owners can check if their device is included in the recall by entering the device serial number at the Garmin web-site here.

https://my.garmin.com/rma/recallLanding.faces

Full instructions on how to obtain the free battery replacement are available on the Garmin web-site linked above.

Guest JudgeMental
Petra - 2010-08-28 4:56 PM

I have just checked this out and my Nuvi 760 has been recalled. However they want it sent back. Is this a scam??? How do you know.

indeed...I saw a man selling used garmins out of a big box in croydon market today :-S

my 770 is OK

Guest pelmetman

I had my first map recalled...........................apparantly the worlds not flat (lol) (lol)

But just in case I won't go near the edge (lol)

Petra - 2010-08-28 4:56 PM

I have just checked this out and my Nuvi 760 has been recalled. However they want it sent back. Is this a scam??? How do you know.

Hi Petra

That's why I posted the Garmin link.

https://my.garmin.com/rma/recallLanding.faces

There is also a link on that page to the recall letter from Garmin

My original source was, my weekly update e-mail from :- http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/newsletters/newsletter-latest.htm

But if in doubt please google "Garmin recall" or phone the Service centre No. in your User Manual

• 1 month later...

I hope that none of you leaves their home address on the sat nav either when sending it back or in use away from home because if anyone steals it they will know exactly where to go for an easy break in!

We just have our home postcode as one of the favourites (not labelled home!) as I reckon we can find our own way from quite close to home!

• 1 month later...

Got ours back Tuesday, only sent off preceding Thursday.  Excellent service!  Pre-paid UPS courier label sent by e-mail, just called UPS for pick up.  Returned with new serial number but definitely the old unit back, as the trip-log is intact.  Very "pretty" apology for fault from Garmin.  Very thorough, fault free, recall process.

Problem originally flagged while we were away - see above.  On arrival home found we had advisory e-mails form Amazon, from whom we had bought the unit, as well as from Garmin, as I had registered it.  Then confirmed ours was part of the recall, and implemented the recall system.  Apparently a handful had self-incinerated in US, it seems while not being used.  Major cost to Garmin to recall a whole bunch of these, so all credit to them for the thoroughness of their follow up, the slickness of their recall system, their honesty, and the generosity of their apology.

IS this applicaabel only to those stillunder guarantee - I have a 760, now 2-3 yrs old and havent had any contact from anyone! In fact I dont use it now anyway, as I have replaced it with aTomTom higher spec one, and find this much better, but still would be useful tohave any faults sorted out on teh old one...might have some use in due course!

Archived