Norfolk line Ferry price.

vindiboy

Recently haven't bothered booking returns and certainly with Sealink up for sale and the recent demise of LD I would be careful booking returns over the longer term.

If you book a single with Norfolk from Europe to UK you will be charged in Euros

Last week booked NorfolkLine through CC, 6.7m x 3m £27 one way and P&O return, Dec 15 for £29.15.

I would prefer to do NorfolkLine both ways, but it works out cheaper with a dog to do UK >France with NL and France > UK with P&O.

NorfolkLine is free for dogs going to France, but full price coming back. P&O charge 50% of dog fee, each way.

Tony Jones - 2010-08-27 5:08 PM

So is the big decision whether to come back or not?

No you have to come back don't you, family ties etc. it's just that I hate being tied to dates so if we get a single we can come back any time or route,the Ferry companies didn't used to charge you if you caught a boat at a different time than you booked but now they do so a single seems the way to go.unless someone has a better plan????????????

Hi, Do you mean SeaFrance rather than Sealink and if you do, do you have a link to any information regarding them being up for sale as I would be interested in reading the story, have tried googling but can't find anything

Thanks

Braunston

ian81 - 2010-08-27 5:08 PM

Recently haven't bothered booking returns and certainly with Sealink up for sale and the recent demise of LD I would be careful booking returns over the longer term.

If you book a single with Norfolk from Europe to UK you will be charged in Euros

braunston - 2010-08-28 9:41 AM

Hi, Do you mean SeaFrance rather than Sealink and if you do, do you have a link to any information regarding them being up for sale as I would be interested in reading the story, have tried googling but can't find anything

Thanks

Braunston

SeaFrance was certainly on the market in 2009, but I don't know if it still is.

(Does "SeaLink" still exist as a UK ferry company? I thought it had been fully subsumed into Stena Line in the mid 1990s.)

Hi,

The latest news I could find regarding SeaFrance as a company was from April 2010 when they were seeking protection from their creditors, can't find anything since, thats why I asked as it seemed like it could be more uptodate information on their position.

Heres the link to the April information, hope it works

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/east_kent_mercury/news/2010/april/13/ferry_company_seeks_court_prot.aspx

There have been rumors about Sea France for several years now but as the French Govenment is major owner it seems unlikely it will be allowed to go under. I still book my six journeys a year, three returns, at £32 a trip, have been doing this for last three years. I would still consider this the best value there is because as well as the good price each trip is totally flexible. You do not have to book at all but even if you do the booking can be changed with no penalty. You can use on most dates with no extra charges. I have just paid £5 extra for the first time as we are going out on the 2 September and this is the supplement payable from 1 August until 5 September, usually avoid these date's. Even if you do not use all the trips you can pass two on.

braunston - 2010-08-28 10:41 AM

Thanks

Braunston

yes I did mean seafrance!!!

for the latest see http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/Locales/Calais/actualite/Secteur_Calais/2010/08/28/article_seafrance-l-etonnante-societe-being-bang.shtml -sorry but it is in French.

Try going to google.fr -click actualities and then enter seafrance and as they say c'est voila!!

Derek Uzzell - 2010-08-28 11:29 AM

(Does "SeaLink" still exist as a UK ferry company? I thought it had been fully subsumed into Stena Line in the mid 1990s.)

I thought Stena was subsumed into PandO

Seafrance was a JV between British Rail and SNCF and is now owned by SNCF.

Seafrance brought us back safe and sound on Thursday night (for the umpteenth time) and the boat was busy without being overcrowded.

They're still our first "port of call" when we make our bookings.

Unfortunately the most we ever do is two returns a year, so I don't think we can cash in on the really good deals. We just book online, as early as we can, and have NEVER paid a 3-figure sum for our return crossing.

The very first time we crossed the Channel, in 1977, was with Hoverspeed, and they were the cheapest at around £200!!! Haven't times changed?

Dave J S - 2010-08-31 7:15 PM

Hi Vindiboy,

Nothing to do with motorhomiung but Is your name anything to do with the Vindi training school in Sharpness.

If so, I was there in September 1956 on a 6 week training as a steward catching my first boat on 8th October

Hi Dave JS, yes I was a Vindiboy in 1959. Happy Days , my first ship was the ESSO PRESTON a Tanker out of Fawley Southampton, a three month trip then I went on Liners, Southampton being the Gateway to the Empire in those days there was plenty of choice of ships I spent 6 years in the Merch, finishing as third Catering officer on a Castle boat.

Hi Vindi Boy,

I was only in for two years. Three trips on Breamar Castle and then two world trips on Orient liner Orcades. I have thought of joining the Vindi Association but feel after all this time I will not remember anyone on my course. Hope all goes well with your camper days. Dave

Archived