Ford Transit fuel pump???????

cruiser

Hi. Opinions and comments welcome on the following...reference a thread I was running over the last week or so. To re-cap. 2004 Ford Transit 125 T350. 59,000k, serviced and well maintained. Started last week after a three week lay-up. Instant start as always, pulled forward ten feet and the engine cut-out. Would not start at all, turned OK but acted like it was out of diesel.

Checked all the usual checks, even got the local garage out with the diagnostic stuff. No luck. The only clue was on the dash...the little red burglar alarm light on the speedo face was flashing mad as soon as the ignition was turned on. Normally it just goes out when the key is turned. So the general consensus was an immobiliser problem.

The van was towed in, and after a day I got a call to say the problem was the fuel pump.....900 euro plus labour!

I gave the go-ahead as I had no other option, and the van is back and running fine. (a good run to Dublin and back). End of story?

Well, today I noticed that the little red light was behaving normally again, flashing slowly when parked up, then going out when the ignition was on.

So why would changing the fuel pump have an effect on the alarm light?

A less trusting soul might say that the problem was in the immobiliser and even easily fixed.....but the fuel pump was a more profitable fault. There was no mention of where the 'faulty' one went. I have to be very cautious here, we live in a small town and I could be totally mistaken. But I keep thinking back to that flashing light. Would a faulty fuel pump affect the immobiliser light? And if not, why did the rate of flashing return to normal?

Your comments, as always, welcome.

Very simple really. The immobilser electronics talks to the fuel pump in effect and if the fuel pump module is faulty then you will get the flashing light to say so. I am surpised they fitted a completely new pump rather than repairing the faulty one with a new module. Another possible fault is the timing solenoid within the pump which again can be replaced.

Ask them for the fault codes they read indicating the pump was faulty and what the fault codes relate to.

cruiser

A brand-new non-exchange fuel pump sourced through a Ford main agent won't be cheap. If that was what was fitted to your Transit, then €900 may well not be unreasonable.

You appear to have given your garage carte blanche to fix your motorhome without first inquiring why they were fitting a new pump rather than repairing the old one as Brambles describes, or, assuming they told you their investigations had revealed that a new pump was needed and that the pump would cost €900, without asking whether a cheaper pump could be obtained. If you had originally emphasised that you wanted them to fix your vehicle ASAP, then the garage may have chosen the quickest and most certain way to do this, and this could well be the 'money-no-object' way.

If you think you may have been over-charged, you will need to question the garage about exactly what they did and ask to see copies of their invoices for the new parts fitted. Plainly you would have been better off doing this before you paid the bill - now, you'll just have to ask especially nicely.

Thanks for comments. I haven't paid the bill yet, and armed with info gleaned from your inputs, I'm now better prepared for a 'discussion'!!!!

I've been dealing with this garage for 17 years, and have a good relationship with the owner, having also done a lot of work for him in a different capacity, so I'll be treading carefully....but there are questions that should be asked, if only for my peace of mind. Thanks again. We're off to Killarney now and the sun is shining, so it'll keep for a few days. :-D

I hadn't heard of this occurring on Transits but it is a known issue withe early 2000s Focus diesels. The electronics in the pump just suddenly die for no explainable reason and to the best of my knowledge the only remedy is a new injection pump and yes they do cost anywhere from £700 to a grand! Funnily enough Vauxhall had the same problem with electronic injection pumps on the Astra and Vectra range of cars and vans from late 1990s to early 2000s and again you're looking at £700 to £1000 for replacement.

As Fords have had this issue on the Focus I see no reason to assume that it could not be the same with Transits. ford denied there was a problem with their instrument panels but speedo failure on early 2000 model transits is not uncommon, nor on focus models either.

D.

Thanks Dave for your input. I will have a chat with my garage, but all the info I have digested will help me approach the situation with a much more open mind. You mentioned speedo failure. Ironically, the odometer and the clock on the dash both refused to reset two years ago....I live with it as the cure was apparently a new dash cluster unit. Circa £450. :-S

Archived