best way to sell a motorhome

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

I have just put the camper up for sale on E*ay as downsizing to a PVC.

Was wondering where else to advertise? anyone else sold there van using another advertiser, that they can recommend please

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental
LordThornber - 2010-08-28 4:44 PM

Eddie, I believe the Caravan Club now have free ads on their website, I would assume you have to be a member.

Martyn

I am Martyn, thanks will have a look

fred sold his on mmms classifieds to the first time caller me ansums. accepted 250 less than askin. ad about five or six callers since. so excellent service for me my luvvers. Otherwise just tried the local mornin paper, but not a lot of joy there.

finneckity fred

Guest JudgeMental

Had a look re MMM and if I place the add now it will come out in Novembers edition! *-)

Caravan club is odd....Clasified section needs some investigationg to find and it is the same software as "caravan selecta" But at least they are both free! :-D

Hi Judgemental.

You could take it to Worcester 10th-13th Sept Mh Show.

They have a Area for Motorhomes and accessories FOR SALE. For only £20 for the weekend. Incl

Turn up Thurs pm for a prominent pitch. (It works well in the Le Bourget Paris MH show).

• 1 month later...
Guest JudgeMental

Still waiting for add to come out in November MMM

I have sold vans and cars before via Ebay but this time no interest........... Do you think its the economy or wrong time of year? Anyone have other suggestions of ways of selling a van? or should I forgetaboutit until next spring *-)

Eddie, it's not the best time of the year is it for selling? Couple that with the economy (if you believe everything we read *) and that adds up to a whole lower chance of selling.

* Speaking with an Estate Agent friend (don't all groan at once), yesterday, he was saying that the local buying, selling and rental market is "madness", and that he can't keep up.

My personal preferred time to put a van up for sale would be around March, but of course life doesn't always pan out like that does it?

I once sold a VW Westfalia on a Westfalia website, talk about a long shot, this was in 1999, way before the net was as accessible as it is now, it might be worth a shot having a surf for a website appropriate to your van?

Failing that, park it as near as you can to a busy Motorhome Dealership with a huge "For Sale" sign on it and cross your fingers, that it sells and that the Dealer doesn't lynch you :D

Good luck either way

Martyn

JudgeMental - 2010-10-14 11:10 AM

Still waiting for add to come out in November MMM

I have sold vans and cars before via Ebay but this time no interest........... Do you think its the economy or wrong time of year? Anyone have other suggestions of ways of selling a van? or should I forgetaboutit until next spring *-)

Eddie, ebay remains the best way to sell a vehicle but you may need to put it on several times. My old partner and I sold a couple of hundred cars on their, do not believe me look at Wyborne cars. We found that to have a good chance of selling you had to use a few simple rules, did not look at your advert so you may have followed them. First you must be very realistic with your price, after that sell by auction, start auction at a low price, around £500 because bids do attract bids. If you have friends with ebay accounts get them to put a couple of low bids in to get started. Make it a seven day auction. You will get the time wasters and unrealistic chancers but that is life. Give a telephone number and put on a lot of pictures, we always used around 15 for a car so I would guess at least twenty with a M/H. Pay the extra advert price to make sure yours is at or near the top of listings. Make sure you put a very full description in the advert and make sure the picture and one line description that shows in the listings will attract attention. I would agree it is maybe not the best time to sell, around Feb. is better but for what it costs worth trying again. We found that adverts in local papers, magazines and free web sites were largely a waste of time and money.

Guest JudgeMental
LordThornber - 2010-10-14 11:26 AM

Failing that, park it as near as you can to a busy Motorhome Dealership with a huge "For Sale" sign on it and cross your fingers, that it sells and that the Dealer doesn't lynch you :D Good luck either way

Martyn

There are no motorhome dealers left in south London.......there used to be 3 or 4 at one time :-S

House up for sale next week as well :D

Thanks Rupurt, Autotrader worthwhile do you think? re ebay, would a classified add be better then an auction? they cost the same and last a month, or "buy it now"?

if you can wait march onwards is the time to sell. not many people will want to lay out a large sum of money to leave something parked up for most of winter considering you are selling a family van and most people will still be working. also with vat going up in january it will make your vehicle a better option than new. only people interested this time of year are dealers who buy cheap ready to hike price for spring >:-)

Eddie not sure with vans but classified not worth it with cars to us, never sold one that way. You could put a 'buy it now' price on the auction advert, but selling any vehicle is a trying business and you have to persist. Really would not spend money on magazines except free ones.

Guest JudgeMental
auntyjanet1 - 2010-10-14 1:00 PM

Judge

Can,t find your van on E-Bay,why don,t you post a link on here! Good luck

(lol)

its not on ebay at the moment....... BUT is in the classified section right here! :D

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/classifieds/popout.asp?class=84595

edit: on e*ay now

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300480913849

Judgemental, how did you arrive at the price. We have a LHD from new (deliberate decision) and have recently been advised by a dealer that unless it is heavily discounted against a similar RHD we will not sell it.

As everthing is price sensitive this must be a key issue.

Guest JudgeMental
Porky - 2010-10-14 2:16 PM

Judgemental, how did you arrive at the price. We have a LHD from new (deliberate decision) and have recently been advised by a dealer that unless it is heavily discounted against a similar RHD we will not sell it.

As everything is price sensitive this must be a key issue.

They always say that dont they:D what can you expect...I would not entertain a RHD van....there is no point.

Regards price, Just by looking at similar specified vans here, and what they cost in Germany.....I do want to downsize, but not desperate to sell, whilst happy to negotiate, would rather keep it then give it away:-D

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2010-10-14 9:40 PM

Eddie

Have you looked at putting an advert on the Caravan Club website too.

Thanks, Mel yes I have as its FREE :-D

after taking Ruperts advice, add has been on less then 6 hours and one bid and lots of watchers already.....We live in hope ;-)

Archived