Freesat

sooty10

Hi, I also have the Bush Freesat HD which I bought from Argos last year for £59.99, I think they have gone up a little since then. I have had no trouble with it and it shows all the stations listed for Freesat. There is also a non HD model which is less than £30.

Phil.

Copied from another forum

Hi russbif, I live further south of you just outside Torrevieja, south costa blanca. I have a skybox and a Humax HD receiver both hooked up to a 1.8 famaval dish with an Invacom quad lnb. I have two of the four feeds coming into my living room connected to each of the boxes mentioned so can give you a side by side comparrison. The Humax is hands down a better box than the skybox. The tuner is more sensitive and when the sky picture starts to break up a bit say in bad weather if i switch over to the Humax the picture is still going strong. The picture quality of the Humax is far superior to that of the Skybox, having the boxes on the same channel and flipping between the two you see a much better clearer picture from the Humax. We still use the skybox but mainly for the TV guide which is better than the Humax. You will see a vast improvement when you hook up to your HD televisions and choose an HD channel. Hope this helps.

Hi sooty 10,

I have been using a Zehnder Freesat Receiver since it came with my new 'van last year and find it works very well.

It will run on 12v,24v or 220-240 mains. I run on 12v.

It has a useful plug in remote infra red receiver which enables you to use your remote controller with the receiver box in a drawer or cupboard.

The only drawback I have found is that it does not provide a full EPG (electronic programme guide). Which is a bit of a pain at times.

Barnacle Bob

w1ntersun - 2010-08-30 11:20 AM

Don't forget, if travelling abroad, a Sky box with viewing card will get you better reception of most of the main UK channels.

Why do you get better reception with a skybox as opposed to a freesat box ?

Because Freesat only picks up free to air unencrypted UK channels on the tight 2d footprint.

Several of the main channels also broadcast on pan-European beams and although they are free to view, they need a Sky box and card to unscramble them.

In Valencia I would need a 1.9m dish to pick up ITV1 on a Freesat box, whereas, I can get it on my 66cm Maxview Crankup dish with a Sky box.

derek500 - 2010-08-30 9:35 AM

Don't forget, if travelling abroad, a Sky box with viewing card will get you better reception of most of the main UK channels.

As for 12v. We mainly overnight without hook-up and an inverter runs our TV and Sky box with no problems.

Hi Derek

Interesting that you use a inverter to power your Sky box and TV, can i ask what wattage is your inverter as i am interested in getting one to power my Sky box only.

BarnacleBob - 2010-08-30 6:18 PM

Hi sooty 10,

I have been using a Zehnder Freesat Receiver since it came with my new 'van last year and find it works very well.

It will run on 12v,24v or 220-240 mains. I run on 12v.

It has a useful plug in remote infra red receiver which enables you to use your remote controller with the receiver box in a drawer or cupboard.

The only drawback I have found is that it does not provide a full EPG (electronic programme guide). Which is a bit of a pain at times.

Barnacle Bob

Do Zehnder make a Freesat box? AFAIK they only make fta boxes which would explain the limited EPG.

colin - 2010-08-30 11:23 PM

Do Zehnder make a Freesat box? AFAIK they only make fta boxes which would explain the limited EPG.

You're correct. They make a FTA box, but it's not a Freesat licensed manufacturer, so it only has 'now and next' and not the Freesat EPG.

In Valencia I would need a 1.9m dish to pick up ITV1 on a Freesat box, whereas, I can get it on my 66cm Maxview Crankup dish with a Sky box.

Are you picking up ITV1 on the northern 2d transponder or the southern transponder.?

Where we stay at Conil de la frontera I can pick up the full range of channels on the northern transponder with a 85cm dish

I am reliably told that the humax freesat box is just as good as the digibox in picking up the northern transponder and you can manually tune in the free sky channels

Richard

Several of the main channels also broadcast on pan-European beams and although they are free to view, they need a Sky box and card to unscramble them.

[/quote

I was under the impression that the sky box will not lock up on anything other than astra2 uk transmissions. are you sure that it works on Astra1 or Hotbird, or have you bought a special card for europe?

However a Humax box will be able to receive any satellite within range and which is carrying "free to Air" ie non encrypted transmissions, this includes Freesat, but as has been already pointed out, Freesat is tightly focussed on UK. .

tonyg3nwl

edit, sorry , messed up the qoutes again.

tonyg3nwl - 2010-09-01 6:07 PM

I was under the impression that the sky box will not lock up on anything other than astra2 uk transmissions. are you sure that it works on Astra1 or Hotbird, or have you bought a special card for europe?

Sky digi boxes are built to DVB standard, they are legaly obligued to enable them to pick up fta broadcasts, but, that doesn't mean they have to make it easy for you to do this. :-S

Some early freesat boxes where not able to pick up fta broadcasts, red faces all round at freesat who issued specs, they forgot about their legal obligations *-)

w1ntersun - 2010-08-31 10:22 AM

Are you picking up ITV1 on the northern 2d transponder or the southern transponder?

I can pick up the ITV1 regions on 2b south and 2b north. I need my 1.9m home dish to pick up 2d.

Point being, only the 2d versions are FTA. A Sky box and viewing card are needed for the others.

tonyg3nwl - 2010-09-01 7:07 PM

However a Humax box will be able to receive any satellite within range and which is carrying "free to Air" ie non encrypted transmissions, this includes Freesat, but as has been already pointed out, Freesat is tightly focussed on UK.

Astra 2 is four different satellites, in the same position (28.2) with different beams.

All the encrypted ITV, C4, C5 channels are on different Astra 2 satellites to the FTA versions that Freesat boxes pick up which are on 2d.

Archived