Fiat Judder ( oops )

casey

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jhorsf - 2010-09-15 8:58 PM

Mike look in page 104/105 of Fiat manual for details

I've been studying it carefully for the last couple of days. My post on the Swift Talk board has been picked up by Swift and they will let me have details of what is on my vehicle tomorrow. I shall report progress if any.

Here is my reply from Swift.

Hi Michael,

The 'Hill Holder' function is part of the ESP option and not linked to the Comfort-Matic gearbox option. Originally when Fiat first brought out the Comfort-Matic gearbox in 2008, it was linked to the ESP and so both options had to be specified, but from 2009 these options were de-linked and so it was not necessary to specify the ESP option. From our 2010 models we did not specify the ESP option and therefore you won't have the 'Hill Holder' function on your vehicle.

Regards,

Craig.

As I indicated in my earlier post to Judge I would opt for the Hill Holder function if it is available.

Guest Peter James
euroserv - 2010-09-13 11:51 AM

Hello,

Just to clarify;

You can get the L4 body with the extra foot of overhang only on the Maxi chassis at 3.5 or 4.0T. This comes with 16" wheels. The L3 is available as a '33', '35' or Maxi. The 33 and 35 come with 15" wheels.

If you are ordering a L4 Maxi there is also an option for twin leaf rear springs which only reduce your load capacity by a few Kg but make the vehicle sit even better when fully loaded and improve the handling even further, so for the minor cost involved (about £80) we always go for this. The factory reversing camera option is also great value at £350 because it is a very neat installation and comes with a flip down monitor and a parcel tray above the windscreen that is really useful too. You can order the shelf ('cappucine') separately for about £35 if you wish. We always order both on our vans and I suspect the cameras have prevented a lot of rear end damage.

I think that if I was going to build my own camper I would order the extra high roof too; although you don't need the extra headroom, the potential to fit storage lockers high up would be appealing and this only adds about £800 to the list price. I would also order mine with glazed rear and sliding side doors because it is only about £100 as an option and is cheaper and far more professional looking than doing it afterwards. It's a shame that the fully glazed 'window van' is only available with the 2.3 engine otrherwise it would be perfect. Just block out what you don't need during the build. Sure it would look like a mini-bus but that is more elegant than a panel van any day.

Just a little food for thought.

Nick

My L4 H2 120 only has the single leaf rear springs, and runs with axle loads of 1600 kg on the front and 1550kg on the rear. (plated maximum is 2100kg front and 2400kg rear, 3500kg total) The rear sits about 3" higher than the front, and wouldn't go down a lot further with more weight as it is almost on the rubber spring assisters. (As this weight is near constant I am able to reduce the tyre pressures to 46psi, making the ride as good as a modern car.)

I think with the all the extras you mention you would need to go to the 4 tonne version to stay within the gross weight for a full motorhome conversion. Particularly for the amateur builder who doesn't engineer the weight right down like the professionals. Going to 4 tonne could be the most costly extra?

• 4 weeks later...

First of all thankyou Andy and Euroserv for the information on the clutch upgrade for the 3L manual, its filed away when/if I ever need it.

I have just noticed that our local Ambulance Service seems to be replacing its Merc based vehicles for guess what Fiat. Don't know which model.

Cost perhaps or maybe a better ride, my limited knowledge of Merc based ambulances was a lot of swaying in the back. My Murvi (with Airide fitted) is brilliant

on corners and roundabouts.

I just wonder how long it will be before we are reading posts about the new Renault? When the X250 came out it got, and still gets, rave revues from testers with no hardly any mention of a judder. The same reviewers are now singing the praises of the new Traffic so perhaps time will tell.

Guest Peter James
euroserv - 2010-09-13 11:51 AM

I would also order mine with glazed rear and sliding side doors because it is only about £100 as an option and is cheaper and far more professional looking than doing it afterwards. It's a shame that the fully glazed 'window van' is only available with the 2.3 engine otrherwise it would be perfect. Just block out what you don't need during the build. Sure it would look like a mini-bus but that is more elegant than a panel van any day.

Just a little food for thought.

Nick

True, but there is a downside. The Sevel factory windows are single glazed (glass) and fixed, wheras the ones the converters use are double glazed (plastic) and can be opened. Apparently these glass rear door windows fitted by Sevel can easily be fitted as an aftermarket thing because they are only stuck over the doors with a special glue - just cut the hole out and get someone like Auto Windscreens to fit it as a replacement. Provided the van does NOT have the 270 degree opening rear doors like mine because the hinges get in the way.

Tomo,

Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought the 'new' Renault was the Master, I know that Bentley (sounds posh doesn't it) are building onto a Trafic base but the pictures i've seen look like the 'tried and tested' Trafic. rather than a 'new' one. Although i dare say that the 'Drive' to Euro 5 standard engines will mean changes in that dept. (as long as the MPG increases then I'm happy, if not then it's a waste of effort). I am looking foward to see new conversions onto the new master. if only for a bit of buyer choice. Ray

Guest JudgeMental
I started a thread re new Master when I got back from Düsseldorf show, along with some pictures...While it may be fine as a chassis cab for a coachbuilt etc... it is to narrow IMO for a practical panel van conversion...

Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2010-10-16 11:00 AM

I started a thread re new Master when I got back from Düsseldorf show, along with some pictures...While it may be fine as a chassis cab for a coachbuilt etc... it is to narrow IMO for a practical panel van conversion...

Don't know about the new Renault, but the others I looked at (i.e Transit, Sprinter) had a higher floor, as well as a narrower body. One of the things I really like about the X250 is the ability to get a full size bed in widthways, using the van sides as a ready made headboard and footboard, and as supports to suspend the bed from ratchet straps to get it perfectly level in a minute, however parked.

We're just back from the show at the N.E.C. -- there was one (hastily put together and not yet up to finished specification, we were told) PVC on the new Renault Master base -- by Devon Conversions -- that had a fixed bed across the rear and looked very promising -- didn't appear to be too narrow to me -- but as Devon haven't even been able to update their website (that just shows PVC'S on the old model) --we shall have to reserve judgement.

I was a bit disappointed with the Bentleys -- on the new Renault Trafic I think --not as revolutionary as I was led to expect from the advertising -- just another caravan body atop a builder's van methinks like all the other coachbuilts(!)

Greetings to all fellow 'posters'

Colin.

This may be a little off topic as such but why has an Iveco never been mentioned as an alternative base vehicle to Fiat?

They have been extremely popular among the self builders and have reasonable width. Are they using the same Fiat bits or do they still use other parts?

Guest JudgeMental
Symbol Owner - 2010-10-17 12:37 PM

We're just back from the show at the N.E.C. -- there was one (hastily put together and not yet up to finished specification, we were told) PVC on the new Renault Master base -- by Devon Conversions -- that had a fixed bed across the rear and looked very promising -- didn't appear to be too narrow to me --

QUOTE]

Well it is a narrow van, with a narrow rear bed, and here is a picture that I think illustrates it reasonably well ........ From Düsseldorf show, a finished Globecar van

second picture: another globecar with twin singles or massive double...But I think the extra width of the Fiat is pretty plain to see? :-D

1638508477_rearbedmaster.jpg.ae072d50f2651888dc65d0186d2ed4df.jpg

1878033114_globecarbeds.jpg.3b8701b7237c141edba9ef7252a0667c.jpg

Guest Peter James
747 - 2010-10-17 2:15 PM

This may be a little off topic as such but why has an Iveco never been mentioned as an alternative base vehicle to Fiat?

They have been extremely popular among the self builders

I think thats because they are very cheap second hand compared to the X250.

747 - 2010-10-17 2:15 PM

They have been extremely popular among the self builders and have reasonable width. Are they using the same Fiat bits or do they still use other parts?

Devon Diamond is Iveco Daily

Archived