Sites near Bourdeaux

Geoff Beasley

Hello Geoff,

If you want sites for Bourdeaux, which is in the Rhone Valley to the East of Montelimar I'm afraid I can't help as I have only passed by though there are a few sites nearby in the CC Caravan Europe 1 book. However, if you mean Bordeaux, the wine city I can help.

We have stayed a number of times at Camping Beau Soliel

http://www.campingfrance.com/UK/Search-for-your-campsite/AQUITAINE/Gironde/GRADIGNAN/BEAU-SOLEIL

which is great for public transport into the city.

Camping Du Lac

http://www.camping-bordeaux.com/ang/

is a new site north of the city and is now within reach of the new tramline.

If you do mean this Bordeaux I can send you more info including satnav co-ordinates and more about public transport and places of interest in Bordeaux which is a fabulous place to visit.

Regards,

Carl

We too have stayed at Camping Beau Soliel and found it to be a good site. Be warned though, it is quite small and if you are travelling any distance, I would telephone first to make sure of a place.

The centre of Bordeaux (assuming this is the place you mean) is a maze of very narrow one-way streets and in addition has an extensive tramway system, which adds to the thrill of driving around.

I personally recommend leaving the van on site and using public transport to reach the centre ;-)

Hello Geoff,

It's reassuring to hear that someone else has CRAFT moments (can't remember a flipping thing).

Camping Caravaning Beausoliel as “Spospe” says is small with about 20 odd pitches from memory, its really just the back garden of a bungalow. The showers etc. are always immaculate. Contact details are on their web site which is

http://www.camping-gradignan.com/site-en.htm.

I too would advise that you contact them.

To get there leave the Bordeaux southern ring road A630 at Junction 16 and head for Gradignan along the D1010. Drive through Gradignan to Beausoliel and the site is on the right after traffic lights and bus terminus on left.

To go into Bordeaux turn left out of the site and walk a ½km to the Tabac where you can buy a card with 10 tickets for the transport system. The bus terminus is at the opposite side of the road. The ticket system works like many others in Europe you put your ticket in the machine where it is stamped with the time you start your journey. Don't stamp your ticket as you get on the bus in the terminus as it sometimes sits there for 10 minutes. Wait until the bus starts then stamp your ticket. Can you tell I'm a Yorkshireman and proud of it? You can now travel for one hour changing from bus to trams as many times as you like in the hour. Get off at the bus/tram interchange, everyone else will. Get on the next tram into Bordeaux. The electronic signs will tell you which this is and how long you will have to wait. Your one hour ticket should easily get you into the heart of the city. I would advise that the first time you go into town that you stay on the tram until it reaches the Grand Theatre/ Opera House. The main tourist information office is here and it is one of the best in France. Their website is brilliant

http://www.bordeaux-tourisme.com/index_uk.html

I can highly recommend the vineyard,walking and coach tours, which they organise, as a good way to familiarise yourself with the city. They have some excellent deals. If you are staying a few days and like that sort of thing the museum ticket is worth having. Make time to walk along the quayside. Down from the Opera House to the quayside and turn left and walk along to the “Hangers” the old warehouses now shops and cafés. Evening's best as this is when the locals come out. Everyone walks, cycles or skates for miles. The photo opportunities by the river at dusk are fantastic. My advice is put on your walking shoes, get a map from the tourist office jump on and off the trams and buses and walk wherever the fancy takes you. It's a great city.

My wife and I wish you the best and wish we were there now.

Regards,

Carl

:-D

Hello Geoff,

If you plan to stay at the site in Chartres (Camping Les Bords de l'Eure), you should know that it is known for breakins to vans. We left a few years back, as soon as we arrived having been warned by a British couple who were leaving that there had been several caravans and MHs broken into the previous night. There have been sporadic reports over a number of years. There are reports of breakins this year from Dutch campers on the ACSI and CampingCar-Infos sites. Take care.

Regards,

Carl

>:-(

Hello Geoff,

Sorry if I put you off but as you will see if you go to the ACSI website and read the site reviews break-ins were still happening throughout this summer. Most people will be OK, a friend of ours went without problems in May.

However, Les Ilots de St. Val at Villiers-le-Morhier is 16 miles away, if you have an ACSI card it is site 1153. We have a scooter so I'm not sure about late access for MHs returning from Chartres.

We were supposed to be visiting the lights at Chartres this week from this site but circumstances mean we are still in England.

Regards,

Carl

Hi Carl,

I suppose I could borrow a scooter from our grandson but I think that my left leg would be aching time we got back.

No, we'll give the Chartres lights a miss this year, after all we took the grandsons to see the lights at Cleethorpes and they can't be much better can they???

We don't have an ACSI card as we prefer to stay on France Passion sights whenever possible but I've had a look at the website and though most of the reviews are in Dutch in certainly dosen't look good.

I hope that whatever is keeping you in England isn't serious and that you'll soon be on your travels again.

Once again, many thanks for your help and info.

Regards,

Geoff. (lol)

Geoff Beasley - 2010-09-02 6:14 PM

No, we'll give the Chartres lights a miss this year, after all we took the grandsons to see the lights at Cleethorpes and they can't be much better can they???

Regards,

Geoff. (lol)

Hi Geoff

Hope you weren't toooooo dissappointed with the Cleethorpes lights.

Although a resident I have to admit they are not as good as previous years.

I don't know but suspect they will pale in comparison to Chartres.

Archived