Car or Caravan?

John.N

Does anybody know the official classification of a motorhome as far as motorway service parking is concerned? The caravan area is clearly designed to accomodate a car and trailer but the car bays are usually too small (length and breadth) for a motorhome. What am I regarded as - large car or motorised caravan?

we just park in a an area away from all the plonkers who could possibly dunsh our beloved van

downside with caravan areas is they are sometimes too close to lorry parking

and you may run the risk of being blocked in on a long slot by someone parking in front,

stick to the quiet area of normal parking wherever possible

We always park as far away as possible in the car park in supermarkets and service stations. Most people don't want to walk. Just watch people park in a golf club car park. They are just about to walk 4/5 miles around the course and yet they park as close as possible to the club house. Or is that just the herding instinct??*-)*-)

John.N - 2010-08-29 8:34 PM

Does anybody know the official classification of a motorhome as far as motorway service parking is concerned? The caravan area is clearly designed to accomodate a car and trailer but the car bays are usually too small (length and breadth) for a motorhome. What am I regarded as - large car or motorised caravan?

This must depend on the size of your motorhome.

I always park my van conversion somewhere 'remote' at the back of the car park, but if you've got one of those mobile bungalows you would need to park with the trucks or caravans.

I'm sure there is a herd instinct in car parks where most people feel the need to park as near as possible to the tills.

Much less likely to get your car scratched if you look for some space.

*-)

In motorway services we always park away from the general area of cars and one of us stays with the motorhome if we use their facilities. Maybee being a bit too carefull but so far so good.

just for fun, sometimes we deliberately park totally on our own in supermarket carparks and we always return to find a car parked next to us. Some kind soul must feel sorry for our lonely car all on its own.

That happens to us too Mike. We park well away from the traffic and have never failed yet to return to the van and have someone in the next bay, even when nearer ones are empty. I think it is another vanner in their "civilian" vehicle just missing the company!

As for the services, I had it explained to me once at Hilton Park that they consider you a "caravan". Some services use ANPR cameras and if they class you as a caravan and you're with the cars you might get a ticket. Because the warden was being helpful I didn't take having my van called a "caravan" personal though and we parted on good terms! ;-)

John.N - 2010-08-29 8:34 PM

Does anybody know the official classification of a motorhome as far as motorway service parking is concerned? What am I regarded as - large car or motorised caravan?

The legal classification is "motorised caravan".......have a look on your V5.

Any service area with a bit of business sense should regard you as a CUSTOMER, irrespective of what type of vehicle you drive as long as you have the common sense to park it safely.

Thanks everybody. I haven't had the OFFICIAL reply that I was looking for but most contributors take the line that I do. Commonsense and consideration for others should prevail but I wondered if anyone had encountered a 'jobsworth' who had said "Allo allo. You can't park 'ere".

Bulletguy's comment about 'customer' is very pertinent.

John.N - 2010-08-31 7:56 AM

Thanks everybody. I haven't had the OFFICIAL reply that I was looking for but most contributors take the line that I do. Commonsense and consideration for others should prevail but I wondered if anyone had encountered a 'jobsworth' who had said "Allo allo. You can't park 'ere".

I got the "OFFICIAL" reply from Karen Davis, Customer.services@moto-way.co.uk when I made an enquiry.

1. There are no specific spaces reserved for motor homes. At some sites we have designated bays for use by caravans only and it would be acceptable for motor homes to use this allocation of space.

2. If designated parking spaces are fully occupied or there are no designated bays on car parks then we would advise the driver to use the normal car park, provided and that if any overhang did not obstruct entry and egress to the car park or cause any obstruction to the routes around the car park. It would be acceptable for vehicles that were oversize i.e. length wise to use 2 bays to accommodate the length.

3. Where car parks are small and access is not possible due to size or available spaces then we have no problem with drivers using the main HGV park. Drivers would have to be aware that the area is a working environment 24/7 and persons would have to take care when moving about on foot, children should be chaperoned at all times and we would not accept accept any liability and it would be at your own risk. Because of the types of load using the park i.e. Highly inflammable liquids or gases they would not be allowed to use cooking facilities in the lorry park for fear of explosion or fires.

I hope this answers your question.

One problem I have found with the above answer is the order that you can access the various cars parks from the usually one way access roads.

Road in lead to Car park first. Lorry/Bus park, Oversize loads, possible caravan park, Filling station, road out.

If you check that spaces are available in the caravan section and there are none then your next car park with possible spaces available, is in the next service area down the road.

John

John.N - 2010-08-31 7:56 AM

Well John as stated before your V5 tells you what your vehicle is classified as and whether or not motorway service areas choose to define differently is up to them, but if ever it came to battling it out in a Court of Law they would be on very weak ground.

I've never had any 'jobsworth' telling me I cannot park in any particular place on a motorway service area but something which really annoys me is the signs continually reminding us that 'tiredness kills....take a break'.

After a drive of 600 miles with only the ferry as a break I was well tired and pulled off at a service area to get my head down, only to be confronted by signs telling me no overnight parking allowed, fines, clamping, etc etc.

I ignored it, parked up and had a good sleep. Nobody bothered me at all. It's just this strange obsession we have for mounting as many potty signs as possible.

Archived