Toilet flush water pressure

Wirralian

Hi. I had the same problem with our Hymer, the flow from the taps was ok, but low from the toilet flush outlet. I reduced the size of the hole in the outlet nozzle by pushing a short length of small plastic pipe into the nozzle, this increased the pressure and worked ok.

Brian B.

Wirralian - 2010-08-30 10:55 PM

Just returned from my first weekend away in my 57 plate C class Hymer. Very pleased with it but found the water pressure of the Thetford toilet flush woefully inadequate. Is there a means of increasing this water flow?

John :-|

This doesn't answer your question, a Thetford toilet is not a WC in the sense that flushing helps removes the waste, it will simply wash the surface of the bowl with water, which in your Hymer comes from the fresh water on-board tank.

What we do is to use a hand operated spray bottle filled with either diluted "pink" flushing solution or disinfectant, this saves loads and loads of water and reduces the number of times you have to empty the toilet waste tank.

I have resolved a similar issue on a couple of hymers and it has been the case that limescale has collected in the solenoid valve in the loo cutting down the flow. On one particular van the entire pipework system was clogged up with limescale and crud and had to be descaled with a large amount of vinegar run through the system (vinegar dissolves limescale and limescale captures all sorts of particular matter from the water).

D.

Many thanks for your responses. There has been a development today!

I experimented with pushing various plastic tubes into the flush outlet and eventually got a reasonable result with a raw plug. By now I had run out of water. I had not previously had a good look at the water tank so was intrigued by a component on the top that I could only assume to be the water pump (it looks nothing like ones in my previous vans). I gave it a little tentative shake before then putting some water in the tank. I opened the water taps to clear any air bubbles and hey presto - the water pressure was much increased, including the toilet flush!

I agree with the comment that the toilet bowl does not necessarily need to be rinsed by water. I do use a spray bottle filled with a solution of Thetford toilet pink toilet rinse but like to give the bowl a good rinse with water every now and again.

John :-)

Archived