Speed Limit in Small French Villages

marcob

Hi Can anyone confirm if the speed limit in small French villages, and hamlets with the black name signs is the same as larger villages. and towns, with the white signs? When I slow down to 50 kph through these small villages, the following traffic seem to get very impatient.

Regards

marcob - 2010-09-01 6:05 PM

Hi Can anyone confirm if the speed limit in small French villages, and hamlets with the black name signs is the same as larger villages. and towns, with the white signs? When I slow down to 50 kph through these small villages, the following traffic seem to get very impatient.

Regards

I beleive that the place name at the entry to village denotes start of speed limit (50k) and placename at exit crossed out denotes end of limit.

If those behind wish to prove otherwise, I just hope the boys in blue are hiding in the right place, ready and waiting.

tonyg3nwl

In France I have noticed they like to sit on the back end.

Funny thing is they do what they want and if you sit on their tail they dont care a hoot they certainly dont speed up just poodle and do as they wish .

Sorry I cant help with the speed limits I always just slow to a responsible speed.

Hi,

Only place names in black on a white background and enclosed in a red border are an indication of a reduced speed limit - 50 kph unless otherwise indicated. The small signs which are normally used to indicate the name of a hamlet have no speed significance. As previously mentioned, the crossed-out place name is the end of speed limit area, again, unless otherwise indicated.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

J

Archived