Ferry booking without a printout receipt

chas

Hi- has anyone booked a ferry/tunnel crossing on the internet without the benefit of a print out to show on arrival? I thought perhaps if one showed the nessasary written booking number and times on paper this would be accepted at the ticket booth. Many Thanks

Yes. I only book one way. Use McDonalds for free WiFi and book on line and note the ferry operators reference. Present that number at the toll booth and no problems.

If I want to try for an earlier sailing I go to the booking office first and again present the number. Have once managed to sail a day earlier, however the last time I tried that I was told you are only able to get on up to two ferries earlier before they will charge.

Same here, with both tunnel and ferries. Bon Voyage, see you over there, on our way to the tunnel to day, armed only with the number. 10 days off work, sheer bliss. Isle d'oleron is our destination, pop in for coffee if you like, but not too early in the morning, unless you fancy walking the dogs for us.

Cheers, ta ta.

Don't need anything when going P&O from Dover they have cameras with registration plate recognition software you arrive at the booth they say your name to you & ask you to confirm it.

Had a nice surprise when I arrived at Dover on Monday on my Telegraph £50 return I was given a voucher for a free bottle of wine & a 1 day ticket to Disneyland, unfortunately the Disney ticket is for person named on the ticket & you have to show a passport.

Posting from the Massif Central in France a nice pleasant 34 deg. today.

Thanks for the replys, I was hoping this was the case, but with todays red tape and security you never know. One other point, as regards Wi-Fi connection, as the tiny notebook I will be getting also includes GPRS in the UK as anyone used that type of connection say on the coast near Calais. I know that to use it in europe requires paying for a roving connection fee, but with only 20 odd miles of water between France and blighty whether it would work, as anyone tried it ? Save hunting round for Mcdonalds ;-)

Have tried this and in my experience the French signals seem to be stronger even in Kent!! It may be easier to head for McD's as they are known location.

If heading in the Boulogne direction there is one near junction 32 and we have even parked there overnight and the wifi wasnt turned off!!

We used to use Dover Eurochange..01304 210 949..we just used to ring them tell them what time ish we wanted to cross and they would do it for us and just give us a Ref No..Same returning from France call give a time for the crossing and get the number never any probs at all!!

http://www.dovereurochange.com Good service from them try the link...Usual disclaimer etc

Hi

P&O have an automatic number plate recognition system and that automatically pulls up the booking as you approach the check-in booth, but it's as well to keep a note of your booking reference as technology doesn't always work!

We've just booked from Roscoff to Plymouth on Brittany Ferries and they send an e-booking reservation/ticket by e-mail so we have yet to see if we need it.

You should, of course, have your passport with you but we have yet to be asked for it leaving the UK but always asked for it on return - this must be something to do with the Island Nation mentality.

P&L

Archived