battery life

rapidoman

good day one and all I have just purchased 2 new elecsol batteries ( only ones of reasonable quality low enough to fit box. ) I leave the van plugged in to mains on drive and can't find any way to turn charger off. I realise that the onboard charger cuts out when batts charged but keeping it on all the time i wondered wether it would reduce or harm the life of batteries (?) any replies welcomed but off of hols fri so won't be able to reply :-(

If your charger is working correctly it will monitor the state of charge of the battery and cut down to a trickle charge when the battery is charged.

In general this is better for the battery as it helps prevent sulphation.

You can meter the actual charge rate in amps but anything drawing current needs to be off and you will need a 0-5 amp meter at least or you run the risk of overloading it.

Hallii

No it wont do any harm to leave it plugged in but I just wonder whether you should charge them remotely as the van charger may not put a complete charge in. Maybe the literature will give you a clue.Generally batteries of these sorts benifit from keeping fully charged.

Archived