NOT being ripped off

Randonneur

We had our van serviced today at our local Fiat garage. Last year the bill was 140€ so we thought it would be slightly more this time. When we went to collect it this afternoon it was only 60€. The garage owner said that he didn't need to replace the filters as we hadn't done enough mileage since they were last replaced. Now thats what we call service and not being ripped off, how rare is that.

:-D Needed my Boxer handbrake to be adjusted in Peugeot Kings Lynn. Job quoted as 0.7 std hour (42 mins) which I expected to be charged. However, on collection told they had only charged for the actual time of 25 mins-so UK is not the rip off some believe! I always use them -very efficient and helpful. Pip pip ;-)

How much of this is down to you being in France??

Labour rates here in SW France (out of the big cities) are as low as €35 and even local dealer is about €50.

My experience is that generally the French motor trade seems better to deal with -you feel that they generally want to help and give good service.

Guest JudgeMental
ian81 - 2010-09-03 9:21 PM

Labour rates here in SW France (out of the big cities) are as low as €35 and even local dealer is about €50.

My experience is that generally the French motor trade seems better to deal with -you feel that they generally want to help and give good service.

But is that not true of Europe in general? afraid the idea of service is a stranger to most in the UK. Motorhome dealers in Europe seem so much better in my experience to the ones here. Here people have such low expectations they seem amazed to get decent service.......its like an abused puppy going back to the abuser to be kicked again and again *-)

JudgeMental - 2010-09-03 11:12 PM

ian81 - 2010-09-03 9:21 PM

But is that not true of Europe in general? afraid the idea of service is a stranger to most in the UK. Motorhome dealers in Europe seem so much better in my experience to the ones here. Here people have such low expectations they seem amazed to get decent service.......its like an abused puppy going back to the abuser to be kicked again and again *-)

Sadly judge it is not black and white: service levels vary by area within country and by business sector and I could give many examples.

In our experience the motor trade in France has been the better end of things. Motorhome dealers likewise: the first we bought was efficient and good to deal with. The second dealer tended to approach the level of service similar to that one reads about of a notable UK dealer -Marron Collines. (Marron a colour, Colline -smaller version of a mountain)

Give me Tesco any day for service: try taking any thing back in France and you are made to feel guilty for the problem: also checkouts that close when customers are waiting and then you are forced to wait even longer while people pay with cheques (remember those!!).

Service I find is also dependent on your attitude - a smile especially with French burecrats works well along with an apology for speaking their language badly.

I suppose we have been very fortunate with Fiat dealers here in that we set off for Portugal inbetween Christmas and New Year and found the sensors in the automatic box had gone, our local Fiat dealer has 2 weeks off over the holidays so we had to go to anoither one 20 miles away and he couldn't have been more helpful and got us back on the road for New Years Eve.

We have taken things back to our local Brico and not had a problem because we stood our ground. The one thing that we have to be careful of is the Supermarkets having one price on their shelves and a different one at the checkout, but when pointed out they refund immediately.

A bit different when we broke down in France this year and were taken to Fiat at Vannes it took them 3 days to do a 2 hour job and charged us a bomb although we were still in warranty all because the Fiat dealer in UK " failed to do their job properly " causing us to lose the gearbox oil and for a loss of 5 days holiday and being messed about by Fiat Camper WE DO NOT Care and the RAC we have not received any compensation hence no more Fiat vehicles for me thanks

Luckily we have a 6 year Insurance policy on our van which costs us 19€ month so anything to do with the cab side of things is covered and also recovery hence it didn't cost us a bean to have the sensors done. We did pay to have the gearbox oil and filter changed though whilst they were doing the sensors.

Guest Tracker
passionwagon - 2010-09-03 8:17 PM

:-D Needed my Boxer handbrake to be adjusted in Peugeot Kings Lynn. Job quoted as 0.7 std hour (42 mins) which I expected to be charged. However, on collection told they had only charged for the actual time of 25 mins-so UK is not the rip off some believe! I always use them -very efficient and helpful. Pip pip ;-)

That's very reassuring to know as we will be moving near Downham Market very shortly - if the chain don't all collapse again!

The best Peugeot dealer that we have found on our travels is Warners of Tewksbury who have twice helped get us back mobile late on a Friday afternoon when the van firstly blew it's radiator under warranty and then it's starter motor out of warranty - ouch that hurt my credit card!

Archived